Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Yeah..no...

I was in 6th grade when the Olympics came. I remember because I made a clay model of a stadium for school. My mother still has it. I'm 25, haha.
Ok I am officially old LOL.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl/Mia View Post
I think your young to young to know.. This Freaknic use to be very huge!! Atlanta was once a Big entertainment city especially in the black community, and somewhat still is this city was known for its night clubs and strip clubs. Thats why when we had events like All star weekend people just go crazy.. The minute you say Atlanta trust people are going think about entertainment
I totally agree. I think Atlanta is kinda going through a transition at this point. After Buckhead village closed, the party has slowly shifted to Midtown. Give it about five years and it will be back. I think if there was a big party in Atlanta right now, people would run here like crazy. It's just been a while since we had something major like that. The party seen just ain't the same as it was back in the 80's/90's though and this is not exclusive to Atlanta.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,862 times
Freaknik is a money-suck plain and simple. A city with expensive real estate like Atlanta needs business travelers with lovely expense accounts and clients to impress. Not a bunch of broke college kids who book one hotel room and then pack and stack all their friends into it. College kids order water with lots of lemon so they can make their own lemonade. Businessmen buy their clients big porterhouse steaks and $10 martinis. They give $50 tips and book $200 a night rooms. Plus, you don't have to invest resources in traffic control and police protection for businessmen the way you do a bunch of college kids. Even worse, college kids scare business travelers away. Anywhere young people congregate there's a greater likelihood of violence occurring. Whether true or not the perception is this particularly true when those kids are black. I suspect that people are more likely to notice foolywang when it's done by people that don't look like them, but it really doesn't make much difference if you're the one with the restaurant with unsold tables because nobody will come out during Freaknik.

The last thing any city wants is videos of their city, full of drunk kids doing God knows what, especially now with the proliferation of Youtube and social networking sites. That drives businessmen, the bread and butter of any city, away. Freaknik doesn't sell any banquet rooms, restaurants or bar tabs. Young people are partying in the street. That doesn't benefit anybody, probably not even the kids. Even cities that previously welcomed young people back in the day quickly realized that the reputation for being a "party city" is incongruous with making money. Atlanta's open for business, not a bunch of freaks.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
funny thing is is this group has been promoting this each year for the past 3-5 years

they are getting more PROMOTION from you all and the news stations now than they ever had in the past 5 years

they promoted this last year but nobody came because nobody knew anything about it

now the news stations are giving them the best promotion they need

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM

start posting this on other links so the national news will pick it up and help promote more

Old 02-24-2010, 01:40 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Quote:
RIght or in New Orleans if they can handle those kinda crowds why cant we
New Orleans' grid system is set up better for Traffic flow, Bourbon Street is closed to nighttime traffic, and Canal Street is usually shut down for parades. Peachtree is too major of an arterial to really shut down for long periods of time, and there are a few hospitals on that street with little or no alternative routes.

Cruising in a car is for the birds anyhow, I'd rather hang out at a beach.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Young people are partying in the street. That doesn't benefit anybody.
It definitely benefits liquor stores, liquor manufacturers and the makers of blunt wrappers, but that's about it.

Last edited by JPD; 02-24-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
RIght or in New Orleans if they can handle those kinda crowds why cant we
Atlanta had the Olympics, if we can handle that we can handle anything

Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It definitely benefits liquor stores, liquor manufactirers and the makers of blunt wrappers, but that's about it.

hotels- they have to stay somewhere plus they are paying taxes on the hotel
restaurants- they have to eat somewhere plus they are paying taxes on the restaurants
gas- they have to get around somewhere plus they are paying taxes on the gas

etc etc etc

Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta had the Olympics, if we can handle that we can handle anything
I kind of like Freaknik, and I wouldn't be bothered at all if it comes back, but to be fair, the olympics was an organized series of events. That's a very different animal than a weekend of street cruising which lacks any organization at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta