Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
What part of this simple fact are people not getting? Atlanta is not the only town that doesn't want college kids. Ft. Lauderdale decided a long time ago that "where the boys are," isn't good for business. Drunk college kids is simply not compatible to a business model. The impact on business is simply not worth the (neglible) benefit. People were staying away from Atlanta in droves. People with nice fat expense accounts. Not college kids packing into one hotel room and eating at IHOP. It's bad for the city's image. It's very expensive and the city makes no money off it. What more is there to say?
It is not even about the money with me. It is about the behaviour. If they learned to behave properly and respect other people's right.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
I think if it's managed well it should come back. What do you think happens on memorial day weekend on south beach. Atlanta used to be known as a party city but now I really don't know....
and we enjoy your money too!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It’s funny this pop up around the same time there's going to be a cartoon Freaknik: The Musical, T-Pain is going to be the Ghost of Freaknik Past LOL.

I do think there a demographic undertone here, Half the people who are oppose to Freaknik wouldn’t be opposed to this if this was a rock feast, a biker feast or something along that line. But considering some cities literarily have Beer festivals like Oktoberfest and some cities organize these massive Carnival it only become more of a double standard.

At Freaknik height their were up to 250,000 people visiting! there were New York, Texas, Florida, Cali and etc license plates. During the mid 90s I was 6-7 years old, but I have a strong remembrance of Freaknik. My parents used to take me out to see the cars, they kept me away from areas where people were out of control, so Freaknik can be organized! If the city or private organizations was serious about organizing a event of this scale there would had been the infrastructure, in which the city would gain economically from. I know if the partying was restrict to the Underground, Piedmont park, Auburn and few others spots Freaknik can be manage.

The city was funding programs like Brand Atlanta which was very unsuccessful increasing tourism "every day is a opening day"??? and "city lights southern nights"
Mean while the city doesn’t take advantage of opportunities of events like Freaknik that could help the hospitality industry here bringing tourist to the city if Freaknik was organized.
Very true. Every five years my hometown of Milwaukee celebrates the anniversary of the founding of Harley Davidson--which undoubtedly attracts some of the criminal element that may blend in with the yuppie weekend bikers.

It would be great if the city could take advantage of the opportunity by designating areas for the festival to take place. People can say what they want, but the hotels in Atlanta were always booked up during Freaknik--which meant a lot of revenue generated by hotel taxes, as well as millions of dollars in sales tax revenue.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
250,000 visitors at it's height ranging from colleges students, families to celebrities that was a economic benefit! The unorganization of Freaknik was negative not Freaknik. Your doing two things 1st your complaining about the unorganization! which I agree with! this shouldn't be all over Atlanta, hint restrict and organize. The 2nd thing is “no value either culturally” to you! that why I said

“Mean while the city doesn’t take advantage of opportunities of events like Freaknik that could help the hospitality industry here bringing tourist to the city if Freaknik was organized.”

I notice you’re taking bits of my post, because with in the same post I already respond. More than just college kids went to Freaknik, families went to Freaknik. This was more than people getting drunk, there were car shows, concerts and etc! I already said this as well as many other posters that if the city restrict Freaknik to limited areas such as the Underground, Piedmont park, Auburn and few others spots Freaknik can be manage. Even the Sporting Venues can manage Freaknik. Rio Carnival is in the Sambadrome I’m pretty sure the Georgia Dome can manage Freaknik. That’s what I mean by organize.
We have plenty of festivals here already. They can come to Sweet Auburn in May.
http://www.sweetauburn.com/

The National Black Arts Festival:
National Black Arts Festival - Only in Atlanta!

Peach Carnival: PEACHCARNIVAL.COM :: Home of Atlanta Carnival and Soca :: DOLLAR WINE

Just to name a FEW

Old 02-26-2010, 05:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
I think we all know enough about PR to understand that there's no way to re-brand Freaknik into a positive cultural experience. You'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on spin-doctors to accomplish that, and from where I'm sitting PR isn't exactly Atlanta's strong suit. Rather than trying to revive the bacchanalia that was Freaknik, I would suggest coming up with a festival or something of the like that doesn't involve a bunch of boozing teenagers. (And yes, I say this as someone who spent four hours stuck in traffic at one event, and saw way more alcohol and nudity than I ever care to think about.) Far as I can tell that brand is already tainted well beyond any ability to revive it. I might be on board for a very limited festival of some sort, presuming that it's revenue producing, limited in scope and doesn't involve underage drinking and nudity.

Quote:
250,000 visitors at it's height ranging from colleges students, families to celebrities that was a economic benefit! The unorganization of Freaknik was negative not Freaknik. Your doing two things 1st your complaining about the unorganization! which I agree with! this shouldn't be all over Atlanta, hint restrict and organize. The 2nd thing is “no value either culturally” to you! that why I said

“Mean while the city doesn’t take advantage of opportunities of events like Freaknik that could help the hospitality industry here bringing tourist to the city if Freaknik was organized.”

I notice you’re taking bits of my post, because with in the same post I already respond. More than just college kids went to Freaknik, families went to Freaknik. This was more than people getting drunk, there were car shows, concerts and etc! I already said this as well as many other posters that if the city restrict Freaknik to limited areas such as the Underground, Piedmont park, Auburn and few others spots Freaknik can be manage. Even the Sporting Venues can manage Freaknik. Rio Carnival is in the Sambadrome I’m pretty sure the Georgia Dome can manage Freaknik. That’s what I mean by organize.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, and I've observed this as I'm sure you have as well, the thuggery doesn't happen with the college kids, but with the non-college kids that these type events attract. The perception is, probably because of hip-hop that when it's black kids it's more likely to draw a criminal or at least a "thug life" element. I think we've seen this recently with the violence at the AUC. I know I saw it all the time when I worked at Alabama A&M in Huntsville. When these type things pop off, it's usually not the students themselves, but the criminal elements that are attracted to the social atmosphere on campus. I firmly believe that these type episodes could be ameliorated drastically simply by keeping outsiders off college campuses. Unfortunately, many of our HBCUs are not located in the best parts of town. (Actually, that seems to be the case for many urban schools.)

It's bad enough on a college campus, but when you have something like Freaknik where you've got thousands of young, nubile women partying in the streets of a town like Atlanta that criminal element is going to show up as well. Frankly, I think there are more degrees of separation between that element in other communities than there are in the black community. That's not to say that all manner of craziness doesn't go on in other communities. Let's be real here, anytime you've got young people and alcohol all manner of mayhem will ensue, but again, that's simply the perception. Whether true or not it doesn't matter because if you've got the empty restaurants and other businesses because people are staying away in droves you just want it to stop.
"During the mid 90s I was 6-7 years old, but I have a strong remembrance of Freaknik. My parents used to take me out to see the cars, they kept me away from areas where people were out of control" Freaknik was more generally a Hiphop Fest But you probably straw hip-hop and "thuggery" as the same. So if some one like lowriders and etc there a thug but if they like hot rodes there ok! If people like rap music there a thug if they like rock or country there ok huh?

that why I said "Half the people who are oppose to Freaknik wouldn’t be opposed to this if this was a rock feast, a biker feast or something along that line."

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It absolutely ASTOUNDS me that issues like crime, teenage pregnancy, and the term "thug" are easily batted around when talking about black college kids partying--notwithstanding impacts on city services--but withhold those same coded, pejorative terms about white kids losing their damn minds partying in Panama City, Daytona, Lauderdale, or Mexico. Of course those are kids that are just--well--blowing off steam from working so hard studying. I guess they can be rest assured that no one will ever suggest that they should be struck with police batons and tear gas if they get a little out of control.

Absolutely unfreakingbelievable...
right on money! It's seems people are trying limit freaknik to drunk teens and nude women. I don't even know where the criminal ideals come from. My Ideal of freaknik was more car shows and concerts Related. people came to freaknik from everywhere, Again not just college teens but Familes for multiple reason but I think "drunk teens and nude women" is the straw man that the nay sayer needed. I mean in there mind that's was the point of freaknik, that's all it was and without it there no freaknik.

Last edited by chiatldal; 02-26-2010 at 06:14 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Freaknik was more generally a Hiphop Fest But you probably straw hip-hop and "thuggery" as the same. So if some one like lowriders and etc there a thug but if they like hot rodes there ok! If people like rap music there a thug if they like rock or country there ok huh?
I don't give a flying farvegnugen what you call it. It's the hip-hoppers who call themselves "thugs." When you go around promoting "thug life" there's a strong likelihood that people are going to take you at your word. Don't blame people for calling them thugs when that's what the call themselves. If you've got beef with people calling hip-hoppers thugs you might want to take it up with them. And when rap and country fans impose absolute gridlock on a major metropolitan city for an entire week while drinking and fornicating in the streets I'll call them thugs too.

Quote:
right on money! It's seems people are trying limit freaknik to drunk teens and nude women. I don't even know where the criminal ideals come from. My Ideal of freaknik was more car shows and concerts Related.
Maybe because you weren't stuck in traffic for hours at a time while people cruised up and down the streets. If Freaknik had been limited to concerts and car shows (inside a facility) I doubt anyone would even have noticed or cared. Apparently the biggest car show for Freaknik was about cruising up and down the streets and ripping off girl's tops while pouring beer all over them.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
I don't give a flying farvegnugen what you call it. It's the hip-hoppers who call themselves "thugs." When you go around promoting "thug life" there's a strong likelihood that people are going to take you at your word. Don't blame people for calling them thugs when that's what the call themselves. If you've got beef with people calling hip-hoppers thugs you might want to take it up with them. And when rap and country fans impose absolute gridlock on a major metropolitan city for an entire week while drinking and fornicating in the streets I'll call them thugs too.
Here’s the thing “thug” isn't the literal definition in hiphop. A thug is slang for common people, working class, and blue collar. Was you using the hiphop definition of thug when you gernalize people as "thugs" or you did literally generalize people as thugs referring to criminals? But I’m glad you came out the closed and showed that you’re arguing with anti-hiphop bias. And no matter how much you try to paint Freaknik as if drinking and fornicating was all or most of what was done, it wasn’t.
Quote:
Maybe because you weren't stuck in traffic for hours at a time while people cruised up and down the streets. If Freaknik had been limited to concerts and car shows (inside a facility) I doubt anyone would even have noticed or cared. Apparently the biggest car show for Freaknik was about cruising up and down the streets and ripping off girl's tops while pouring beer all over them.
I already addressed the traffic issues and organization. I think your trying to missing the point of the event and you keep straw manning your points back to ripping off girl's because you have no ideal what you talking about. Freaknik was Generally Hiphop relented, but of course Hiphop is only associated with bad things to you. So therefore people go to Freaknik only for bad things.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
"During the mid 90s I was 6-7 years old, but I have a strong remembrance of Freaknik. My parents used to take me out to see the cars, they kept me away from areas where people were out of control" Freaknik was more generally a Hiphop Fest But you probably straw hip-hop and "thuggery" as the same. So if some one like lowriders and etc there a thug but if they like hot rodes there ok! If people like rap music there a thug if they like rock or country there ok huh?

right on money! It's seems people are trying limit freaknik to drunk teens and nude women. I don't even know where the criminal ideals come from. My Ideal of freaknik was more car shows and concerts Related. people came to freaknik from everywhere, Again not just college teens but Familes for multiple reason but I think "drunk teens and nude women" is the straw man that the nay sayer needed. I mean in there mind that's was the point of freaknik, that's all it was and without it there no freaknik.
There were people who were NOT college students who used Freaknik as an opportunity and excuse to prey on unsuspecting college students. That's what people are talking about. Obviously, you're too young to remember that there was a side to Freaknik that definitely wasn't the original intent and purpose of what Freaknik was supposed to be. It was a party that blew way out of proportion. You're parents were right in shielding you from a lot of what was going on, but I see that you have selective memory in terms of what happened, particularly in 1994 and 1995. You can reminisce about Freaknik through rose-colored glasses all you want to, but here is a brief synopsis about how the party got out of hand:

Atlanta Metro News*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/13/whatever_0414.html - broken link)

The woman who originally founded Freaknik eventually disassociated herself from the event due to how out-of-control it got.

NO, the Freaknik of the 1990's should NOT come back. Atlanta can barely figure out the logistics of handling the traffic we have for special events now, let alone having an extra 250,000 people in a city with no beach, no sanctioned off entertainment area, and no centralized district dedicated to nightlife.

Have it in an area that is sanctioned off or something, but this should not be an unorganized event haphazardly thrown all over the city. No, No Way, Hell NO, Hell to the NO.

And this would go for a country, rock, metal, etc event that went out of hand too, so this has nothing to do with whether the crowds listen to Hip-Hop for me.

And I'm a black male, surprise, surprise. So it's not a race issue for me before you try and throw that in my face.

Ya'll just want to see some college girls shake their asses in the streets again though. Understandable, but it shouldn't be a haphazardly thrown event clogging up traffic all over the city.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Here’s the thing “thug” isn't the literal definition in hiphop. A thug is slang for common people, working class, and blue collar.
Not for most people. That's the risk one takes when taking a well-established slang term and changing its meaning.

Don't want outsiders to think of you as thugs? Don't use the term!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta