Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM

165 posts, read 484,013 times

Advertisements

So i was looking through 11alive.com and read a story on the possibly of the rebirth of Freaknic. I was little when the "event" was held here in the past but I have seen video and heard stories and it sounds like something I pray does NOT come back.

I'm glad Mayor Reed agrees that this will not be a welcome event, but like a commenter on the website said, you can say they cannot come, but that doesn't mean they won't come.

Before a race card is thrown here, I'll start off and say that I'm black and do not support this event. It's an event that is based on nothing so only negativeness can be expected from a gathering with no agenda.

Here is a link to the article: Freaknic Promises/Threatens to Return in 2010 - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=141073&catid=40 - broken link)

Here is the article if you don't feel like clicking the link...

Removed by Moderator. For copyright (legal) reasons, please do not copy/paste print articles (web/mags/etc) and repost them here without permission by the author/writer. Please use the link you provided above to access the original article. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-23-2010 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
As per the comment above, please use the link the poster provided to access the article as copy/pasting printed articles violates too many copyright issues. Thanks.

That being said, I've been in Atlanta since 1984 and I've been stuck in traffic tie-ups that were caused when the Freak-kiddies decided to just park in the middle of major roads and start partying. It was NOT cool. And it doesn't matter what the "organizers" of the event say (and honestly, it's never really "organized"), kids show up who are going to do what they want to do, and no one will be able to say, "now don't do that this time" and prevent it. They put up with it for a few times in the past and once it got severely out of control, the Mayor finally called out the cops in force one year and drove the kiddies out of town. But it took a lot of frustration on the part of residents and businesses and events threatening to leave Atlanta before they did anything.

I'm not encouraged by the fact Reed admits he went to this thing. If you were never stuck in the middle of it and saw it first-hand, even videos do not show you some of the stuff that went on. Maybe he's grown up now and realizes there is nothing positive it brings to the City, and will nip it in the bud before it starts all over. People actually moved out of the intown neighborhoods years ago rather than face the prospect of having to deal with this each year. People are moving back intown now again - if it's allowed to start up, they WILL leave yet again once they get a dose of it. Just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
1. The Freaknic of the mid to late 90s will never happen again.

2. Did you actually read the story. It appears a group of AUC alumni are taking back to Freaknic to it's roots of just being a spring break picnic in Washington Park with a funny name. That nonsense that went on the 90s was not connected with the original intent of Freaknic.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times
no need to worry

they have been trying to bring it each for several years now and it didnt work

they tried last year also, i was going to post the link but i didnt...lol

Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM

165 posts, read 484,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
1. The Freaknic of the mid to late 90s will never happen again.

2. Did you actually read the story. It appears a group of AUC alumni are taking back to Freaknic to it's roots of just being a spring break picnic in Washington Park with a funny name. That nonsense that went on the 90s was not connected with the original intent of Freaknic.
That may be the intention, but the name "Freaknic" to many idiots out there will cause this to go back to how it was.

I think it would have been smart to use a different name altogether.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,394 times
Ill give it a try....

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,004 times
Translation: we need spring break revenue that florida gets by default!

that's the only reason they are even considering getting this going again

Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
I think if it's managed well it should come back. What do you think happens on memorial day weekend on south beach. Atlanta used to be known as a party city but now I really don't know....

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 02-24-2010 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Translation: we need spring break revenue that florida gets by default!

that's the only reason they are even considering getting this going again

I think your right Atlanta use to be the place o come for spring break to party but it's change since they started taking things away.. They need to do somehing to bring the life back to intown crescent isn't enough. We have this long street called peachtree and there is nothing to do on it but go to work

Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
I think your right Atlanta use to be the place o come for spring break to party but it's change since they started taking things away.. They need to do somehing to bring the life back to intown crescent isn't enough. We have this long street called peachtree and there is nothing to do on it but go to work
I may be younger some, but I've never thought of Atlanta as a 'party' city. It's roots are deep into railroads and business. There are a lot of places to go out. I also know at one time there was a more lively scene, but I still don't think of it as ever being a party city. I don't think I know anyone who would...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta