Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,555 times

Advertisements

Question about places to live. May be relocating to GA from NYC. Husband works for Delta (of course!) and am wondering what suburbs south of Atlanta would be easy commutes for him to the airport? Have 2 girls (11 and 8) and am looking for good schools. One child does receive special education services and is currently in a CTT class in NY (60% regular ED and 40% kids with IEP/needs). Am looking for good schools, safe neighborhoods and decent home prices (under $300k). Any help is appreciated. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM

40 posts, read 113,934 times
Peachtree City has good schools, check out: greatschools.net and is listed as one of the top 10 places to live by Money Magazine. Also, I've been told many Delta employees live there.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Also, PTC schools are in Fayette County, which has a good reputation in terms of special needs. Is the 11 year old the special needs child?

If so, do you anticipate that she will need modifications in high school? If so, be aware that while accommodations are permitted in high school, if the curriculum is modified (as it stands today) a regular diploma can not be awarded. It sounds like your child will handle a regular classroom, but I know this is different in some states, so I wanted to give you a heads up.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:39 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmom View Post
Peachtree City has good schools, check out: greatschools.net and is listed as one of the top 10 places to live by Money Magazine. Also, I've been told many Delta employees live there.
Yes, PTC is very popular with airport personnel. I know that it would be my choice in such an employment situation.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 17,555 times
To warrenmom: thanks for the information, I have searched there as well as the different county school websites. My intention is to become a teacher once there as I have my license. Thanks!

To lastminutemom: my 8 year old is the one with an IEP, not my 11 year old. She is a terrific student, just needs multi step instructions broken down for her and is doing well in reading, etc. She does very well in a mainstream classroom, definitely does not need self-contained. Thanks for the information.

To Lovindecatur: Thanks so much, it's good to know so many Delta employees are in the area. Good sense of community! Thanks again for the information everyone.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polomama View Post
To warrenmom: thanks for the information, I have searched there as well as the different county school websites. My intention is to become a teacher once there as I have my license. Thanks!

To lastminutemom: my 8 year old is the one with an IEP, not my 11 year old. She is a terrific student, just needs multi step instructions broken down for her and is doing well in reading, etc. She does very well in a mainstream classroom, definitely does not need self-contained. Thanks for the information.

To Lovindecatur: Thanks so much, it's good to know so many Delta employees are in the area. Good sense of community! Thanks again for the information everyone.
Polomama, I thought that PTC's backstory might interest you. Good luck in your search!

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website - History

Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM

40 posts, read 113,934 times
Good luck! We just moved last week from NJ.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polomama View Post
Question about places to live. May be relocating to GA from NYC. Husband works for Delta (of course!) and am wondering what suburbs south of Atlanta would be easy commutes for him to the airport? Have 2 girls (11 and 8) and am looking for good schools. One child does receive special education services and is currently in a CTT class in NY (60% regular ED and 40% kids with IEP/needs). Am looking for good schools, safe neighborhoods and decent home prices (under $300k). Any help is appreciated. Thx.

Polomama,

Definitely Peachtree City (for all your criteria/needs).

Secondary choices (and good choices as well)--considering your criteria:

1. Coweta County (Newnan or Sharpsburg)
2. Fayetteville (in Fayette County)
3. Tyrone (in Fayette County)
4. East Henry County (Union Grove and/or Ola Areas)
5. South Henry County (Locust Grove and/or Ola Areas)

Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Clayton County is the best bet as far as location and amenities. It is a lot more suburban that NY, but there are still a lot of ethic food spots and a more urban type enviroment. However the schools are abismal... my brothers and I had to pull some strings to go to schools in other counties, but it should serve as less of a culture shock.

Henry County schools are good. It is really suburban and borderline rural so it depends on what you like... the housing prices are a steal. I mean a STEAL! 300,000 would get you some acreage. It is a lot farther from the airport with the distance you might as well find a nice spot ITP and you can take the subway which goes in the airport. Upside: fast growing region... don't think you will avoid traffic.... downside: no public transit.

Fayette County schools are great. It is also spacious. It's not as fast growing as Henry, but its more wealthy.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah everyone seems to like peachtree city... idk much about it. I guess its worth it to check it out.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Oh yeah everyone seems to like peachtree city... idk much about it. I guess its worth it to check it out.
PTC is nice, but isn't it rather isolated? What is it close to besides itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta