Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone can help with a simple question. What is the difference between the Fair Market Value and the Assessed Value?

The Fair Market Value they have given to my condo is above the current price I could sell it for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
The web is your friend.... https://etax.dor.ga.gov/PTD/adm/taxg...ssessment.aspx

"How is Property Assessed?

The intent and purpose of the laws of this state are to have all property and subjects of taxation returned at the value which would be realized from the cash sale, but not the forced sale, of the property and subjects as such property and subjects are usually sold except as otherwise provided in this chapter. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-1)

Assessed Values

In Georgia property is required to be assessed at 40% of the fair market value unless otherwise specified by law. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-7)

Property is assessed at the county level by the Board of Tax Assessors. The State Revenue Commissioner is responsible for examining the digests of counties in Georgia in order to determine that property is assessed uniformly and equally between and within the counties. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-340)

The tax bills received by property owners from the counties will include both the fair market value and the assessed value of the property. Fair market value means "the amount a knowledgeable buyer would pay for the property and a willing seller would accept for the property at an arm's length, bona fide sale." (O.C.G.A. 48-5-2)

Property owners that do not agree with the assessed value on their proposed assessment can file an appeal with the county board of equalization. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-311) "

Last edited by neil0311; 02-28-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The web is your friend.... https://etax.dor.ga.gov/PTD/adm/taxg...ssessment.aspx

"How is Property Assessed?

The intent and purpose of the laws of this state are to have all property and subjects of taxation returned at the value which would be realized from the cash sale, but not the forced sale, of the property and subjects as such property and subjects are usually sold except as otherwise provided in this chapter. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-1)

Assessed Values

In Georgia property is required to be assessed at 40% of the fair market value unless otherwise specified by law. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-7)

Property is assessed at the county level by the Board of Tax Assessors. The State Revenue Commissioner is responsible for examining the digests of counties in Georgia in order to determine that property is assessed uniformly and equally between and within the counties. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-340)

The tax bills received by property owners from the counties will include both the fair market value and the assessed value of the property. Fair market value means "the amount a knowledgeable buyer would pay for the property and a willing seller would accept for the property at an arm's length, bona fide sale." (O.C.G.A. 48-5-2)

Property owners that do not agree with the assessed value on their proposed assessment can file an appeal with the county board of equalization. (O.C.G.A. 48-5-311) "
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:49 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
Remember though that tax assessments - fair market value... are for the year that the tax bill is for. What I'm trying to say is that the tax assessment is for the year prior to right now. So, if your neighborhood has lost value in the past year (as many have...) your fair market value will not be representative of what you could sell the house or condo for right now, but what they thought it was valued at for that tax period.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Remember though that tax assessments - fair market value... are for the year that the tax bill is for. What I'm trying to say is that the tax assessment is for the year prior to right now. So, if your neighborhood has lost value in the past year (as many have...) your fair market value will not be representative of what you could sell the house or condo for right now, but what they thought it was valued at for that tax period.
Thanks. Hopefully they will drop my fair market value, because mine has dropped like a rock.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
I wouldn't hold your breathe. Mine too has dropped big time but no change in the tax assessment, actually my taxes went up because of the huge increase in city taxes. From what I've heard they don't even give you a fair chance at appeal, even if it seems like a slam dunk. And in my case they assessed my value tens of thousands of dollars over what I paid for it in 2007, it doesn't make sense. Of course if they redid everyone's then the tax would have to go up to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Thanks. Hopefully they will drop my fair market value, because mine has dropped like a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta