Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 18,958 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Could someone please tell me about the traffic issues on Barrett Parkway. If I lived in Powder Springs and commuted to Kennesaw, would I be going with or against traffic? Is traffic on Barrett Parkway 7 days a week, work week, or weekend? Are there certain pockets that are horrible, or would the entire commute be rough? Any info would be nice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,765,959 times
The worst stretch is usually when you get closer to the 41 area... around here..

But there's traffic on that road during rush hours, regardless. It's a weird setup like many areas in metro Atlanta where everyone seems to need to go to the other end of the County to get to work and back home again. On most days the traffic moves though - but if there's an accident or a cop pulls someone over (which I've actually seen them do at the height of rush, right in a lane!), then things can back up at peak times a great deal.

Weekends going Northward toward Kennesaw are easy going up until lunchtime, but once the early afternoon hits, there's a bit of a backup going North. Varies, but usually around 1:30pm is when that starts.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,359,472 times
It's never an issue. It is worst on weekends when everybody swarms the malls and stores.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
It's never an issue. It is worst on weekends when everybody swarms the malls and stores.
Agree. I drive Barrett Pkwy all the time and it's only bad on weekends for a very small stretch right by the mall.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
Any update on the reliever roads to connect the commercial districts on either side of 75? This was one of the goals of the Town Center CID that was formed many years ago, two crossings over (or under) 75 between the commercial areas between Barrett Pkwy and Chastain. One is the extension of Big Shanty Road, the other was closer to the mall. This would help traffic on Barrett immensely, so shoppers going from the big box stores west of 75 could get to the mall side without going on Barrett or Chastain. My understanding is that these would not be interchanges onto 75, just access across 75.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times
One thing to add is that there is a widening of Barrett to 6 lanes now underway. I believe the initial work will be from Cobb Pkwy to Stilesboro Rd. and the second phase will be from Stilesboro Rd to Dallas Hwy.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM

390 posts, read 902,525 times
Anyone remember when the stretch of Barrett from 41 to Dallas Highway didn't even exist? I guess it wasn't all that long ago, but it's amazing how quickly the area has grown...I believe the extension opened in 1997 or so.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
Anyone remember when the stretch of Barrett from 41 to Dallas Highway didn't even exist? I guess it wasn't all that long ago, but it's amazing how quickly the area has grown...I believe the extension opened in 1997 or so.
I remember when 75 ended at Barrett (called Roberts Road then). The DOT built the six lane stretch from the interchange at 75 west to handle the detoured interstate traffic and it came to a dead end at 41. All traffic had to go to 41 northbound and couldn't pick up 75 until Cartersville. The crossing over Lake Allatoona was the last piece to be finished. This was into the late 70s or early 80s. Nothing, I mean nothing but pine trees and the occasional house was out there back then.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:01 PM

248 posts, read 645,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I remember when 75 ended at Barrett (called Roberts Road then). The DOT built the six lane stretch from the interchange at 75 west to handle the detoured interstate traffic and it came to a dead end at 41. All traffic had to go to 41 northbound and couldn't pick up 75 until Cartersville. The crossing over Lake Allatoona was the last piece to be finished. This was into the late 70s or early 80s. Nothing, I mean nothing but pine trees and the occasional house was out there back then.
Yep, I remember Roberts Road. My dad used to drive us out there during the odd times when it would snow because the open fields and cow pastures looked so pretty covered in snow. It was really a beautiful scene then. Hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta