Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,289 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Briarclift area of Atlanta in late May/early June and wondered which are the most reliable and inexpensive ISPs. I currently have FIOS (verizon) which I really like but understand that it is not available in the Atlanta area.

I would prefer to avoid Comcast- I do like having to sign up for basic cable TV service in order to keep the cost down (I don't own a TV).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
AT&T | Cell Phones, U-verse, Digital TV, DSL Internet, and Phone Service
Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider

Are some other options for you.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percolate View Post
I will be moving to the Briarclift area of Atlanta in late May/early June and wondered which are the most reliable and inexpensive ISPs. I currently have FIOS (verizon) which I really like but understand that it is not available in the Atlanta area.

I would prefer to avoid Comcast- I do like having to sign up for basic cable TV service in order to keep the cost down (I don't own a TV).
ATT is really the best for you. You don't have to get a phone either.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Id say go with Clear..The only time I lose connection in when at Five Points or Peachtree Center marta stations all the other places it works just fine.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,375 times
clear has massive bandwidth limits, latency issues and a host of other nonsense that puts it in the dial up category

avoid.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,614 times
If AT&T U-verse is available in the area (need an address to check), then that may be a good option for you. It's "comparable" to Verizon FIOS, but not fiber to the house just yet. The pricing is very competitive. Many of my clients have it and they are saying it's about $120/month for TV/Phone/Internet with 10Mb service (which I seriously doubt they get.)

The other option is Comcast Cable service. As far as internet goes, it's much more reliable than DSL and the speeds are much higher. The down side is that it's Comcast of course, and the prices can be pretty high.

I've heard good and bad about Clear. Some like it, some don't. I think it really comes down to the area you are in and what you use the internet for. If latency is an issue, then steer Clear.

Good luck with the move!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,289 times
Clear is out...I checked and it doesn't reach the Briarclift area. I've also heard several complaints about it's service.

I need reliable internet service...I work from home part of the time (professor) and use Skype instead of a land line.

How is AT&T customer service when you have a Mac?

FIOS support has been great, but Comcast customer support was terrible for Macs-they'd tell me it had to be my Mac that was the problem, not their service, or if I pushed them, they'd have to go find the one person in customer support that knew about Macs.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percolate View Post
Clear is out...I checked and it doesn't reach the Briarclift area. I've also heard several complaints about it's service.

I need reliable internet service...I work from home part of the time (professor) and use Skype instead of a land line.

How is AT&T customer service when you have a Mac?

FIOS support has been great, but Comcast customer support was terrible for Macs-they'd tell me it had to be my Mac that was the problem, not their service, or if I pushed them, they'd have to go find the one person in customer support that knew about Macs.
We have an AT&T landline (basic service only), over which we get broadband DSL from third-party ISP Atlantic Nexus. This is not the cheapest option, but it is very reliable, with excellent customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: