Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 14,449 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I'm looking to move to a town within 40 or so minutes from Atlanta. I would like for it to:
Have a quaint, picturesque feel, have at least a few historical buildings, have trees, benches, squares or parks, have a lower population, and I would like for it to be walkable and safe. School district is not important.

Is this possible? If not, what is the closest to this I could get?

Any additional details can be given, just ask. Thank you for reading, and if you know of any towns similar to this, I would really, really appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 14,449 times
A few towns that are too far, but that give you an idea of what I'd like include Dahlonega, GA, Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, and so on. I really would like a town similar to Stars Hollow on Gilmore Girls. Thank you!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyDeVaney View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm looking to move to a town within 40 or so minutes from Atlanta.
40 or so minutes from downtown Atlanta puts you in the Atlanta suburbs. You need to realize that metro Atlanta is a very large city and the suburbs are sprawling. You can't house 5 million people, many of them in single family homes, within a half hour's driving distance.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
The only towns whose town centers have that feel and are no more than that distance from Atlanta that I can think of are:

Newnan
Social Circle
Senoia

A little further out (about an hour) is the town of Madison...that's basically a Southern version of Stars Hollow IMO.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,464 times
So many Gilmore Girls references makes me happy! It makes me miss Lorelei!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
40 or so minutes from downtown Atlanta puts you in the Atlanta suburbs. You need to realize that metro Atlanta is a very large city and the suburbs are sprawling. You can't house 5 million people, many of them in single family homes, within a half hour's driving distance.
disagree, you can sit in Norcross (WONDERFUL small town...massive American Elm there too) and not realize you are in the crap of Gwinnett...same with Marietta and missing the crap of Cobb...

plus...
Decatur too close for what you want, but very nice and you shouldnt over look it...
Duluth

I'm sure others will point out more...but these are all cute towns with a historic core that is vibrant and walkable...some closer than others...

Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
I'd also look at Roswell, GA or Marietta (near the square).

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Hi everyone.
I'm looking to move to a town within 40 or so minutes from Atlanta. I would like for it to:
Have a quaint, picturesque feel, have at least a few historical buildings, have trees, benches, squares or parks, have a lower population, and I would like for it to be walkable and safe. School district is not important.

Is this possible? If not, what is the closest to this I could get?

Any additional details can be given, just ask. Thank you for reading, and if you know of any towns similar to this, I would really, really appreciate any help.
chattahoochee hills?

Serenbe Portal Page

Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
disagree, you can sit in Norcross (WONDERFUL small town...massive American Elm there too) and not realize you are in the crap of Gwinnett...same with Marietta and missing the crap of Cobb...

plus...
Decatur too close for what you want, but very nice and you shouldnt over look it...
Duluth

I'm sure others will point out more...but these are all cute towns with a historic core that is vibrant and walkable...some closer than others...
I agree, however the OP wrote:

Quote:
... have a lower population, ...
All those very nice places you mention are in the midst of metro Atlanta sprawl. Sure, the incorporated areas have a lower population than the surrounding unincorporated areas, but I assumed the OP was looking for something more like LovinDecatur's suggestions. (I hadn't realized those places were that close to Atlanta, and they might well suit.)

Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
All those very nice places you mention are in the midst of metro Atlanta sprawl. Sure, the incorporated areas have a lower population than the surrounding unincorporated areas, but I assumed the OP was looking for something more like LovinDecatur's suggestions. (I hadn't realized those places were that close to Atlanta, and they might well suit.)
My assumption, too...'the lower population/40 minutes to the city' parameters are why my suggestions were so limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta