Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times

Advertisements

Metro schools to slash again *| ajc.com

Just thought I would post this information for those who may be moving to the metro area soon.

On the chopping block are classroom teachers, nurses, crossing guards, parapros, guidance counselors, social workers, and art/music/PE at the elementary level. Schools will be closed and the school year will be shortened for students (the amount of days cut vary depending on the district) The state of GA is proposing to cut a full week off of the student calendar as well.

Even the biggest and wealthiest districts in GA are facing budget cuts in the $100 million range for this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM

69 posts, read 177,210 times
It's just awful. I feel sorry for this generation of children.....

Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
It's just awful. I feel sorry for this generation of children.....

That's what your parents said too.

Every generation feels bad for the next one, yet we always make it.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 PM

109 posts, read 392,467 times
It's not just GA, its happening all over the country.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
In Cobb we will not be closing schools or cutting teachers. We will find a way. We always do. We are a CAN DO county. We have a SPOST tax that is being used to build new schools. We may need to use that to fill the budget until things get better. And they will get better. They always do.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
DeKalb isn't closing schools that are full, they are combining underutilized schools with other underutilized schools.

I think you are mistaken about Cobb.

Cobb County

The district plans to cut jobs and educational programs to address a $100 million deficit. Officials are still working on the 2011 budget and have released few details on their plans so far. The budget declined from $948 million in 2009 to $883 million in 2010; the 2011 total has not been disclosed.

● Total job cuts: Not yet known. Reductions are expected.

● Furlough days: Not yet decided. Same with program cuts and class sizes.

● School closings: None planned.

● Next: Budget public forum March 23 at Campbell High School. Board expected to approve budget June 9.

Metro schools to slash again *| ajc.com

Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 PM

I don't think you are allowed to use SPLOST money to just fill the budget anywhere you want. I think there are certain guidelines as to where that money can be used (for capital projects only). From what I remember reading, SPLOST collections are down in most areas as well.

You know what? I'm just floored by the attitude here in GA. Obviously, I moved here from Florida (aka "Floriduh"), a state that has been the butt of many jokes. However, I have been keeping up with the news from both FL and GA about the state of education and cuts.

What I do notice is there has been a lot more public outcry over the cuts in FL. (and the cuts they have had simply pale in comparision to what has already happened in GA, and what is proposed for next year). Parents have organized and protested in many counties in FL (ie Seminole and Brevard). (Seminole is a county that is nationally known for the quality of its schools, as well as the overall high per capita income and large # of corporate HQ)

You don't see the FL legislature cutting the school year for students like GA is about to do. In fact, I don't even know of any counties in FL that are proposing to cut the school year to save money.
Georgia students will be sitting home for at least a week next school year, while students in most other states are in school and learning.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
There has been a number of protests and public outcries in metro Atlanta counties about the proposed school cuts. I have seen them on the news and witnessed them on campus here at Georgia Tech (for the university budget cuts in particular).

The state of education in this country is terrible as it is, but Georgia is already at the bottom of the list among the states and will grow worse with these cuts. We have become a society that doesn't value the education of our children as much as other cultures or even past Americans. I know that schools have begun cutting some extracurricular activities, but when it comes to either not buying new uniforms for the football team or cutting the school day by 1 day, the latter is taken at a blink of an eye. I am a proponent of high school sports and activities as I believe they are beneficial to our children's future. But when the value of those activities and sports are heightened to a level that surpasses the core principle of our school system - to educate our children in the best possible way - I take serious issues with that.

Not only that, but I hope that these legislators understand that, while work days with more hours and less work days may be feasible, keeping children in school an hour longer each day to cut a day out of the school week reduces learning in the long run. There are documented studies that show this in both children and adults. Yet, the social construction framework of our government and legislative powers have put children and educators into the "underprivileged" class, meaning that they are vulnerable to the whims and cuts that the government wants to do without having a direct voice to combat it.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM

72 posts, read 174,820 times
Our company offered to do a fund raiser for the school our children attend and we were told there fund raising calendar was full. I guess not all public schools are in a bind

Old 03-16-2010, 03:44 PM

I think there was much more outcry over the potential loss of 4-H than the overall cuts to K-12. What a mess.

Local districts shoulder a lot of responsibility over how to implement these cuts. Classroom teachers should be the last thing cut, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: