Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:13 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times

Advertisements

I know a parent with a child in private that is interested in having his daughter tested for giftedness. He is wondering if he has a right to request testing of his local public school since he owns his home and is paying taxes that benefit the district. Otherwise, the private testing facilities are extremely expensive. Anyone know the answer? Is it a statewide answer or is it based on district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I'm confused - if the child is in private school, why would it matter? How does the curriculum differ?

My belief in Georgia is that it's done by district. And there isn't a single test for "giftedness". When my son went through the TAG testing it was multiple tests across a couple of days, needing to score 90th percentile or higher on 4 out of 5. I'm not sure that the private school would necessarily accept the public school results (or vice versa.)

The problem is that while he has a right to request testing I'm not sure it would really get anything useful for his daughter.

"Fulton County Schools operates a Talented and Gifted (TAG) Program for students from kindergarten through 12th grade.

In elementary school, TAG classes are held one day per week, with children studying science and social studies topics that enhance the general curriculum. Assignments given in the regular classroom on TAG days may be modified as needed for TAG students.

At the middle-school level, gifted services are delivered via advanced sections of core curriculum classes in math, science, language arts and social studies. Students may also take an independent research class to study a topic related to the core curriculum.

Gifted students in high school are offered a variety of opportunities, including seminars, individual projects, directed studies and internships. Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) classes are also available for all high school students.

Identification of gifted students

Each year, TAG teachers at each local school review students’ standardized test scores and – in the case of high-school students – grades from the previous school year. In addition, classroom teachers use a screening tool to identify students with superior abilities in five or more of the following areas: motivation, interests, communications skills, problem-solving abilities, memory, inquiry, insight, reasoning, creativity and humor. Students who meet the required criteria in either of these screenings and who have supporting data from their classroom performance or test history are assessed for eligibility for gifted services. More details on this process, as well as a complete manual outlining all procedures in the gifted program, are available through the Advanced Studies and Talent Development web page."

https://giftedatlanta.com/schools/fulton/

Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I know a parent with a child in private that is interested in having his daughter tested for giftedness. He is wondering if he has a right to request testing of his local public school since he owns his home and is paying taxes that benefit the district. Otherwise, the private testing facilities are extremely expensive. Anyone know the answer? Is it a statewide answer or is it based on district?
He can call and ask, but I would seriously doubt it. You can sometimes get services for things like speech issues, but what is the issue that isn't being addressed in this case?

When I was thinking about switching my child from private to public middle school, I asked the public middle school (APS) if we could find out whether she would be in the gifted program before we enrolled, and they said no, they could only make that determination after she enrolled. I thought it would be valuable info to have when deciding whether to enroll in the school, but they didn't see it that way.

If the child has been in private school since elementary, she may have taken an entrance exam like JATP, which is largely an IQ test, if that's what you're after. If not, then he can pay to have her take it as if she were applying to other privates. It's not that pricey, maybe $250, $450 for in depth report.

Last edited by AtlJan; 07-22-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
I will pass on the information from the posts.
It is my understanding that he was being quoted pricing in the thousands. I'm sure the JATP pricing will be a relief. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
He can call and ask, but I would seriously doubt it. You can sometimes get services for things like speech issues, but what is the issue that isn't being addressed in this case?

When I was thinking about switching my child from private to public middle school, I asked the public middle school (APS) if we could find out whether she would be in the gifted program before we enrolled, and they said no, they could only make that determination after she enrolled. I thought it would be valuable info to have when deciding whether to enroll in the school, but they didn't see it that way.

If the child has been in private school since elementary, she may have taken an entrance exam like JATP, which is largely an IQ test, if that's what you're after. If not, then he can pay to have her take it as if she were applying to other privates. It's not that pricey, maybe $250, $450 for in depth report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: