Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
It needs to be a geographic identifier and not for a person (HE Holmes is named such due to HE Holmes Drive).
Yeah, how about renaming Sandy Springs Station Abernathy? It's on Abernathy Rd.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
It needs to be a geographic identifier and not for a person (HE Holmes is named such due to HE Holmes Drive).
How about calling it Football Stadium station?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I think a better name might be something like Gulch station.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Fair enough. I think a better name might be something like Gulch station.
That's actually not a bad idea

Old 10-17-2018, 04:13 PM

108 posts, read 81,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
here's a map— oakhurst is in decatur and kirkwood and east lake are in atlanta. The MARTA station for East Lake is in the little cut-out of the upper northwest of oakhurst.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the map, you learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Memorial and MLK Jr Dr run parallel to each other, they do not intersect.
Scottdale is not an incorporated city.
And yet, some people think King Memorial is named after both roads. That's the point I was making.
Also I'm not sure what Scottdale being incorporated has to do with anything. It's still an established area, like an Oakhurst .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You must hang out with the crowd that thinks you're in Downtown Atlanta the minute you cross Moreland on Ponce.
My crowd may confuse East Atlanta with Decatur, but that's it.

Last edited by A-Town Down; 10-17-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the map, you learn something new everyday.

And yet, some people think King Memorial is named after both roads. That's the point I was making.
Also I'm not sure what Scottdale being incorporated has to do with anything. It's still an established area, like an Oakhurst .

My crowd may confuse East Atlanta with Decatur, but that's it.
Oakhurst is an incorporated inside the City of Decatur, it's a neighborhood like Old 4 Ward. Scottdale is an unincorporated area.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Reminds me of negotiating the train system in Bangkok. You sit through the announcements of all these exotic station names (Asok! Sam Yan! Sutthisan! Lamphini!), then out of the blue comes National Convention Centre!
The announcements on MARTA have become a scourge, and many of them are ads for Delta. Name the stations based on location and there won't be a need for so many announcements. There's no need for the constant interruptions is such a basic system. People are trying to read, so $+FU.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 AM

47 posts, read 35,953 times
En MARTA, creemos todos deben disfrutar el viaje

Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM

108 posts, read 81,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Oakhurst is an incorporated inside the City of Decatur, it's a neighborhood like Old 4 Ward. Scottdale is an unincorporated area.
I've never been one to argue nuances because it's not that serious to me lol especially when Scottdale is still a recognized area. I consider the Farmer's Market to be close to or within the boundaries of Scottdale. You don't, and that's fine too.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:42 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
good choices aries, but these threw me for a loop. sell me on 'em!
OK...

I think Atlanta should embrace and cultivate its identity, history, and originality. Hence, using Atlanta's earlier place-names for current neighborhoods and districts would be wise/smart.

Marthasville
Thrasherville
Deanville
Canebrake
or Canebreak

Read/learn more here:
Origin of the name Atlanta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marthasville,_Georgia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thrasher
https://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/.../thrasherville
https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=59670

All of the aformentioned names are very Atlanta and have that "Southern Originality" that is a good-look for our city.

So that no one freaks...The other early name for Atlanta, "Terminus", is reserved for the name of the Downtown-oriented borough under the Boroughs of Atlanta system that I proposed here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/51196433-post165.html

So...
South Downtown should be called Marthasville.
"Western" Downtown from the Thrasherville historical marker to the Dome, et al. MARTA station on up past GWCC to North Avenue (but east of Northside Drive) should be called Thrasherville.
"Eastern" Downtown around Georgia State University and the Georgia State MARTA station should be called Deanville.
The district/neighborhood clustered around the intersection of Ivan Allen Boulevard, Ralph McGill Boulevard, and Peachtree Street bounded by Buttermilk Bottom to the east, Baker Street and the Hotel District to the south, Techwood Drive/William Street to the west, and Midtown to the north should be called Canebrake (or Canebreak). This is the former Allen-McGill/SoNo.

So...
From the Five Points Station going south there would be the Marthasville Station.
From the Five Points Station going west there would be the Thrasherville Station.
From the Five Points Station going east there would be the Deanville Station.
From the Five Points Station going north there would be the Peachtree Center Station, then the Canebrake (or Canebreak) Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta