Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I am not as interested in what they call the transit stations so much as the length of the station names. When you've got stations such as Inman Park/Reynoldstown, Lakewood/Ft. McPherson, and especially Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Center/LetsSeeWhatElseWeCanPutHere, it becomes too much of an earful. Rename that big-ass long name to just CNN Center. After all, many big cities don't have the names of their downtown sporting venues in their transit stops, even if they are located right by the arena or stadium. And shorten all the other "slashed" stops as well: Either call it Edgewood or Candler Park, but not both.

By contrast, station names such as Arts Center, Kensington, College Park, and Dunwoody are a lot easier to remember.
I can't see how Edgewood/Candler Park is difficult to remember. It's only one syllable more than McDonalds or Burger King. Besides, that station is literally on the dividing line between those two neighborhoods, so what more fitting name could there possibly be? Same with Inman Park/Reynoldstown.

I agree about Dome/GWCC/etc/etc. though. They should consider simplifying that one.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I can't see how Edgewood/Candler Park is difficult to remember. It's only one syllable more than McDonalds or Burger King.
I think they are two syllables more than McDonald's or Burger King, but it's still not that confusing.

One thing I wish they would add is that Inman Park/Reynoldstown is the connecting stop for East Atlanta. (In my opinion, at least).

Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I do think that the dome/cnn center (blahblahblah) should be simplified.

I like Ashby station still being called Ashby. Even though I am not native to Atlanta, I am still upset at the street being changed and I like that the station is still named Ashby. Also, the station is not technically in the Washington Park neighborhood, if it would be named after the neighborhood it would be Vine City and Vine City already has a station. I think it would be better to name it AUC Station. It is the main station I took when I went to the AUC before all those new condos were built.

I also think Airport should remain Airport. I think that we have one of the best modes of public transportation to the airport in a major city and that is too be celebrated and applauded.

I also would prefer Sweet Auburn instead of King Memorial but not Old Fourth Ward or any other neighborhood in close proximity, I would prefer it to be simply Sweet Auburn. And about Ivan Allen, don't know who he is but I do know he has a couple blocks downtown, I don't think he deserves a station since he has a couple blocks of a street, plus the neighborhood is not named Ivan Allen. If anything, I would name it the Downtown station.

I agree Five Points is historic and should remain the same. West Lake is also a neighborhood and the station is in the West Lake neighborhood, West Lake neighborhood is right next to Mozley Park, so I feel it should stay the same.

I have mixed feelings about Bankhead. Like Ashby station, I like that it still has the old name, but I do understand that some judge a location based on the name. I don't judge based on a name and I like that it is an historic name and neighborhood and feel it should stay the same. Midtown West is some fabricated neighborhood and I agree with a PP that it sounds like an apartment complex. We already have a Midtown station as well, no need to confuse new Marta riders with two Midtown stations.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think they are two syllables more than McDonald's or Burger King, but it's still not that confusing.

One thing I wish they would add is that Inman Park/Reynoldstown is the connecting stop for East Atlanta. (In my opinion, at least).
Well, I can't count to two, so I did my best.

As for Edgewood, I can see how that would be confusing since Edgewood is a neighborhood, and a prominent street into Downtown (but isn't in Edgewood).

Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,352 times
How about they do the entire city a favor and rename every station "CLOSED".

Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
How about they do the entire city a favor and rename every station "CLOSED".
You'd close the train system?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You'd close the train system?
Yup. I'd replace it all with buses. Atlanta is not a city that needs a subway and in order to really make it viable they're going to need much more money than they have.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Yup. I'd replace it all with buses. Atlanta is not a city that needs a subway and in order to really make it viable they're going to need much more money than they have.

1. We have buses.

2. MARTA is the 7th most used rail system in the country. Quite a few people find it useful.

3. That's a really bad/dumb idea. We've already built it and spent money on it, shutting it down would literally like setting a huge pile of money on fire.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM
JPD

Quote:
I couldn't agree less, except your right about them needing more money.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

1. We have buses.

2. MARTA is the 7th most used rail system in the country. Quite a few people find it useful.

3. That's a really bad/dumb idea. We've already built it and spent money on it, shutting it down would literally like setting a huge pile of money on fire.
Sure you have buses and I'll bet they're used in excess of 10x the rate the trains are.

MARTA may be the 7th most used rail system in the country but that isn't saying much given the population of people that live within its reach and still actively choose not to use it.

You could strike the MARTA subway now and replace it with buses and save yourselves millions in the future from attempting to upgrade and make viable an entirely useless rapid transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta