Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Well you know most those people who live in those old houses in midtown are all wealthy have no personality/character, whereas the people in those new skyscrapers are the avg. young professional types. But you might be one of those types still wailing and B-in about a particular club closing which needs no mention....
Wealthy and have no personality/character? I live in one of those old houses. Thanks for thinking before posting. Very considerate of you. Very thoughtful of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Sometimes I get so tired of these Northern transplants that come to Southern cities to tell us about our sprawl and our horrible traffic and how this is unplanned etc. The reality with all that being Said is the South is Still attracting people and the cities are still growing,Companies are still relocating. For This being the South and based on how our development patterns started off, I think Atlanta is doing well with building up instead of out. There has been so much infill in the last 10 years thorugh midtown Downtown Buckhead etc. Everyone Always knocks Atlanta for not having this kinda public transportation but fail to mention places like Houston who dont even have a heavy rail subway system. Most people in that big metro area take buses. The urbaninty around the transit system are being planned out well. So in the end I say Kudos to Atl for its progress that it has made thus far.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
I lived in East Cobb for many many years up until the year 2000. Since then I have come back to visit every couple of years and East Cobb is ridiculous!!! House upon house, old homes being torn down and built into monsterous mansions! It's crazy there! I don't even recognize that area anymore!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:42 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I lived in Atlanta from 1998 until 2001. I revisited this past weekend and went to midtown. Whoa! How it has changed. In my opinion, lost its character a lot in midtown. The highrises have really gone up, but the area itself is just becoming sterile now I think.
Also, what we really noticed again was how un-pedestrian friendly Atlanta is. Atlantic Station is a start, but total cookie-cutter and lacks a vibe.

What direction do other people think Atlanta's growth is taking it?

I think it is out of control, with traffic on par with LA or worse. Traffic in Atlanta is FAR, FAR worse than NYC's.
The people love cars, cars cause traffic, the people love traffic.

Highrises are a good thing. Atlanta does not have enough of them. Need about 20 more, but that comes with aggressive leadership.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Atlanta--little public transport useage.
I just hope Atlanta starts making wise decisions for its future traffic issues. And the answer is not with the automobile for sure.
I honestly cant wait for the numbers to raise. Id like to see how Atlanta adjust with its DIVIDED government. They have not expanded rail since 2000. Here it is 10 years later. Bad leadership has been exposed with the recent Census standings with Atlanta dropping.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
I think the success story in Atlanta is actually how much more urban the suburbs are becoming. Most of the city of Atlanta isn't much more walkable than it used to be. There's a small sliver in midtown that has improved a bit from that perspective, and so has inman park and a little of the West end. OTOH, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Decatur, etc have grown up quite a bit.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:31 PM

324 posts, read 659,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I honestly cant wait for the numbers to raise. Id like to see how Atlanta adjust with its DIVIDED government. They have not expanded rail since 2000. Here it is 10 years later. Bad leadership has been exposed with the recent Census standings with Atlanta dropping.

You know almost 300,000 people ride marta 57,000 of those go thru 5 points. Even without it being expanded It is very much used to its fullest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta