Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 PM

54 posts, read 147,582 times

Advertisements

I live in NOVA and I'm trying to save money to move to Atlanta because the cost of living here is ridiculous and the traffic is HORRIBLE! The cost of a one bedroom apartment in a decent community is very expensive. I paid over $1300 a month for such an apt. in Arlington and eventually I moved in with family to save money. I have made alot of friends here but I find overall people are pretentious. I just got back from Atlanta today from a visit and I found the people to be very friendly and welcoming. I also prefer Atlanta because you guys get a taste of winter but not an abundance of snow. This past winter was miserable and after three blizzards I'm def out of here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Move to Atlanta. When the federal government is forced to dramatically reduce its size or go bankrupt, Washington DC will soon thereafter be less than half the size it currently is.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM

330 posts, read 878,050 times
People make funny and ridiculous posts. I'm guilty of that as well.

rjm22206, I'd agree with you if you were moving to South Florida or Southern California, but don't get used to the getting out of the snow/blizzard excuse just because you're going to move to Atlanta. Atlanta is only slightly milder than DC, and even Atlanta gets hit with snow. Plus this year in DC it was the most ever snow since history has been kept. So it's not going to be like this past winter every year.

Gnutella, do you realize that if the government goes bankrupt then Atlanta will be even in a worse situation. Pretty amusing..

Atlanta is okay, but other than cost of living there is no comparison to DC.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM

197 posts, read 515,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post

rjm22206, I'd agree with you if you were moving to South Florida or Southern California, but don't get used to the getting out of the snow/blizzard excuse just because you're going to move to Atlanta. Atlanta is only slightly milder than DC, and even Atlanta gets hit with snow. Plus this year in DC it was the most ever snow since history has been kept. So it's not going to be like this past winter every year.

Gnutella, do you realize that if the government goes bankrupt then Atlanta will be even in a worse situation. Pretty amusing..

Have to disagree with you about the weather. There's no comparison weather wise between ATL and DC. Compared to DC, ATL is paradise.

Also have to disagree with you about the federal government. The only thing that will probably save this country is if the federal government goes bankrupt so that those scumbag criminals can't cause anymore harm to the country. According to the constitution the state governments supersede the federal government anyway, at least that's the way it was supposed to be.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
Have to disagree with you about the weather. There's no comparison weather wise between ATL and DC. Compared to DC, ATL is paradise.

Also have to disagree with you about the federal government. The only thing that will probably save this country is if the federal government goes bankrupt so that those scumbag criminals can't cause anymore harm to the country. According to the constitution the state governments supersede the federal government anyway, at least that's the way it was supposed to be.
No.

Read Section 1 of the 14th amendment:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

In other words, Federal laws supersede State laws. Been this way since 1868.

Besides, D.C. and the Federal government aren't going anywhere. This Federal government has been growing exponentially for 234 years, even more so since the 1960s. I don't see that changing anytime soon despite what you might hear on TV.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post

I agree having the highest AIDS/STDS in the nation, horrible traffic, high cost of living, horrible winters, paying up to $15 a day to ride and commute on the train, women who only want to work all the time, horrible murder rate, clubs close at 1:45am on the weekdays, etc, there is no comparison

Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,507 times
Quote:
Have to disagree with you here!! ATL is NOT a climate paradise compared to DC. Huge misconception. Basically, during winter I'd say temps in DC are only 4-6 degrees on average cooler than ATL at any given time (and night-time lows probably close to equal many nights), with the seasons starting at about the same time and only lasting a tad longer in DC (in Summer I'd figure there's virtually no difference between ATL and DC, temperature-wise, both being generally miserable). But - as mentioned above - the major difference is the snow. ATL misses out on the Nor'easters prob 95% of the time, exceptions coming maybe every 5-7 years. No comparison in that category. So Atlanta's great for people who still want a feel of the four seasons, but hate shoveling snow. But those who hate cold weather outright will be rudely awakened when they find that Atlanta is generally very similar in climate to the mid-Atlantic region. For these people, the best solution is a true Mediterranean climate, like San Diego, LA, or something like South Florida.

Last edited by WilliamM; 04-13-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
well, Atlanta was my most recent chapter and I am discovering San Fran as we speak and I have some free time to go through this thread. Most likely I will discuss recent events I've come across like Atlanta, logically makes sense no?
Especially with this thread since I've lived in both Atl and DC. All I was doing was giving the OP my take on his question. You can choose to ignore my posts if you please

You gave him your intake on where you would live not based on his needs...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,638,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm22206 View Post
I live in NOVA and I'm trying to save money to move to Atlanta because the cost of living here is ridiculous and the traffic is HORRIBLE! The cost of a one bedroom apartment in a decent community is very expensive. I paid over $1300 a month for such an apt. in Arlington and eventually I moved in with family to save money. I have made alot of friends here but I find overall people are pretentious. I just got back from Atlanta today from a visit and I found the people to be very friendly and welcoming. I also prefer Atlanta because you guys get a taste of winter but not an abundance of snow. This past winter was miserable and after three blizzards I'm def out of here!!!
Even I know that Arlington is one of, if not the most, expensive part of NOVA. So this is hardly a representative sample of how much things cost in DC. If I were to move to a new city, I wouldn't start off in the most sought-after area where I know I'll pay more than the average. Second, I know that last winter's record snowfalls weren't typical for DC.

Quote:
Did I wander onto the politics forum? BTW, the state's right argument was used in the 1800s to defend slavery.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 AM

54 posts, read 147,582 times
[quote=DennyCrane;13722721]Even I know that Arlington is one of, if not the most, expensive part of NOVA. So this is hardly a representative sample of how much things cost in DC. If I were to move to a new city, I wouldn't start off in the most sought-after area where I know I'll pay more than the average. Second, I know that last winter's record snowfalls weren't typical for DC.

Whether this past winter was not typical or not it was WAY too much and it is cold for a solid 6 months out of the year which is also too long for me. As far as living costs, yes Arlington may be more expensive but you will also pay a minimum of $1100 or $1200 a month for a basic one bedroom apartment anywhere you go in a nice community in Reston, Fairfax, Centreville, etc. which are obviously further out from DC trust me I've priced them. Then once you live out there your commute is HELL if you have to commute closer in to the city....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta