Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,580 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I participate in the Sarasota section, but this is my first time in this section. Thank you in advance to those who come to my rescue.
My son will be a summer intern at the Carter Center on Freedom Parkway. He is currently a junior in college here in Massachusetts. His internship starts May 18th. He is a pretty resourceful young man, as he taught English last summer in China and traveled around on his own. He will be working in the China program at the Carter Center.
We have heard conflicting statements about public transportation in Atlanta, specifically about the bus routes to the Carter Center. There is a page listing different apartments to sublet, but I do not know if they are near bus lines. May I take the liberty of posting a few addresses and asking the opinion of the people on this board as to which would be most convenient by public transportation.
1)1836 Briarvista Way NE
2)Corner of N Druid Hills and Claremont.
3) Grant Park
4)Downtown Decatur " Walk 10 minutes to Decatur Sq, Shops, restaurants, and MARTA station."
5) Claremont Campus at Emory (Student Intern Housing Program)

Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

Thank you,
smiledoc1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
All are close to bus transportation.

Downtown Decatur, he could walk to the train station or catch a bus to take him to Moreland Avenue so he can walk to the Carter Center.

If you use google, you can use the directions icon for transportation and it will give your directions to the Carter Center via mass transit.

good luck

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
Hello,
I participate in the Sarasota section, but this is my first time in this section. Thank you in advance to those who come to my rescue.
My son will be a summer intern at the Carter Center on Freedom Parkway. He is currently a junior in college here in Massachusetts. His internship starts May 18th. He is a pretty resourceful young man, as he taught English last summer in China and traveled around on his own. He will be working in the China program at the Carter Center.
We have heard conflicting statements about public transportation in Atlanta, specifically about the bus routes to the Carter Center. There is a page listing different apartments to sublet, but I do not know if they are near bus lines. May I take the liberty of posting a few addresses and asking the opinion of the people on this board as to which would be most convenient by public transportation.
1)1836 Briarvista Way NE
2)Corner of N Druid Hills and Claremont.
3) Grant Park
4)Downtown Decatur " Walk 10 minutes to Decatur Sq, Shops, restaurants, and MARTA station."
5) Claremont Campus at Emory (Student Intern Housing Program)

Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

Thank you,
smiledoc1

With your choices, I recommend living in Grant Park or Downtown Decatur.

However, there may be some kind of direct shuttle from the Emory Campus area to the Carter Center. If there is, living on the Clairmont Campus of Emory would be his best bet. You might want to look into this (a direct shuttle).

(I lived on the Clairmont Campus in the late 90's/early 2000's...it was nice...and this was before they expanded and remodeled this part of the school!)

Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM

66 posts, read 276,829 times
Go to the Marta (Atlanta's public transportation) website (MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) and you can type in the addresses of your beginning and ending locations and it will tell you how to get there by public transportation. That should help you in determining which addresses are accessible via public transportation and which have the shortest routes to the Carter Center.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl-gal View Post
Go to the Marta (Atlanta's public transportation) website (MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) and you can type in the addresses of your beginning and ending locations and it will tell you how to get there by public transportation. That should help you in determining which addresses are accessible via public transportation and which have the shortest routes to the Carter Center.
Good post and link. Very helpful for the OP.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Will he have a bike with him? My plan would be to live near the Decatur MARTA station, board my bike, get off at the Inman Park/Reynoldstown station, and make the short (and scenic) ride through Inman Park to Copenhill (location of the Carter Center).

MARTA > Using MARTA > How to Ride MARTA

Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Thank you to all. He will not have a bike. He is an RA in the dorm, and must stay until graduation which is May 17th. The internship starts on the 18th so he will probably fly down with a couple of suitcases and my wife and I will probably drive down over Memorial Day weekend and bring him supplemental items like clean clothes <G>. The Decatur location looks promising and we might check it out next week when we are in Sarasota.
Does anyone have any knowledge about a rental complex, Spence Hall, 145 Spence Ave? What type of neighborhood would that be?
Once again, thank you to everybody who took the time to respond to my cry for help.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:29 PM

One more question from the geographically challenged. To get to the Carter Center from the Decatur stop on the East Line, one would take the train west to 5 Points and then the bus NE to the Carter Center? I am trying to find the geographic relationship among the Carter Center and 5 Points and Decatur Station and the center of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: