Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,822,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Actually, I find it more funny that to be considered "progressive" you have to elect a minority as a mayor. That's a very narrow criterion for calling a city or comparing among cities you consider "progressive." Shouldn't we consider economic conditions, social statuses, innovation, etc. to all qualify a city as "progressive"?

It seems to me that, unlike a previous poster, we are more concerned about race and ethnicity in this country now than ever, as we now use it as a litmus test of sorts to judge a city and its population. As an example, take a look at another thread in this forum on the renaming of the Northeast Line the "Yellow Line" and how this is considered offensive since it goes into the Buford Highway area that is highly populated by Asians. Just the other day some writer in the Washington Post criticized a Republican for saying that Obama spends more time getting 3-point shots than helping improve jobs in the country, and that writer actually called the politician racist for that comment. Huh? If anything, racial implications in elections and programs are heightened of late, not diminished.

Im with you Diveristy is good but its over rated too me. Its like diversity determines if a city is better than your city etc. lol its so silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM

758 posts, read 2,229,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAN5TI84 View Post
i have been following this forum for 4 years, but this is my first time for a post. i am a sociology major. we have discussed many issues, but one of my favorites is major american cities. major american cities are unique because there are many kinds of people living together in a dense area. one aspect we have discussed is how the diversity affects politics.

my class discussed how many major cities have had african american mayors in the modern era - chicago, philadelphia, houston, atlanta.

ive done more research on the subject of atlanta, and the research made me think: atlanta was often described as progressive, but based on history and past elections it seems unlikely that a non-african mayor will win an election in atlanta.

but why?

i am aware atlanta is different from chicago, houston, philadelphia in that it is majority african american. but why would that matter if atlanta is progressive?

would i, as a chinese american, hypothetically have a chance of winning a mayor election in atlanta?

do you think this will ever change?

thanks for catering to my interest with reponses!
Quick answer: NO

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,017,612 times
I would bet Clark Howard could win if he ran. A lot of residents in the city are fed up with the way the city wastes money and is inefficient while raising taxes.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM

750 posts, read 2,267,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I would bet Clark Howard could win if he ran. A lot of residents in the city are fed up with the way the city wastes money and is inefficient while raising taxes.

Yeah I think thats been a pipe dream for years now.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM

I disagree based on what Clark has said in the past I think it may happen someday but time will tell.

The OP question seems odd however because 1) Who cares what race the mayor is 2) Mary Norwood nearly won in the last elections which answers the question I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
Yeah I think thats been a pipe dream for years now.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,946,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Would Progressive Seattle or Boston ever elect a black mayor?
Even Minneapolis has elected a black mayor (Sharon Sayles Belton was Mayor of Minneapolis from 1994 to 2001), and the Twin Cities aren't exactly known for being a diverse community even though they are fairly progressive.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,276,468 times
Nothing is going to change, I'd think. This state is still hijacked by a conservative "bubba" agenda that defies logic. Also, the general socialization of the people in this city aside from somewhat hesitant acts of temporary politeness isn't much better.

Here is question: Why don't anyone ask about wanting an Indian mayor of Atlanta? What about a Vietnamese mayor? Or a Pakistani mayor?

Or a mayor in a Georgia city who is not white or black? Stuff like this is why I am not convince by some of my fellow Atlantans about their sincerity for wanting diversity.

When people learn to stop seperating themselves so easily over small differences, i.e. starting a new county or city at the drop of a dime, only then can I be convinced that the election of a white mayor is start of "brand day" as some on here to wanna think.

Just sayin' I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
If a white mayor is elected whats going to change??? too many people are so stuck on color are we in the 60s

Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Yes. Seattle had a long serving black mayor in the 90's. Washington state also had a two term asian govenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Would Progressive Seattle or Boston ever elect a black mayor?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,513,770 times
I vote based on the issues. I would not care if the mayor was white, black, asian or homosexual. I try not to even see what they look like, I pay more attention to what they are saying. If they are saying the things I want to hear they get my vote. Everyone has there own idea of what is great for the Atlanta metro, so which ever matches what I want thats who I vote for.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,358,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
This is a very interesting post /comment to the title of the thread.

Would "Progressive" Atlanta ever elect a non-black mayor.

Without knowing it, the thread author actually removed race from the question in regard to one key word.
When we look at the City of Atlanta and parts of the metorplex it, the area, could be defined as "Progressive" The area holding the highest tax rate, the highest utility rates, the highest per capita number of government employees, along with the worst bond ratings and highest government deficits.
So, to answer the question.

When the citizens of Atlanta finally get fed up with the way the city wastes money and basically uneffective, then they will elect a mayor and government / council that will follow common sense economics over progressive nonsense. This will cross over any racial line since the last time I checked I know many non-"Progressives" of all ethnic backgrounds.

So, if we want to make it a race issue, then yes Atlanta could elect a non-black mayor. It could also elect a good Mayor rather he or she be Black, White, Asian, Latino, Straight, Gay, Native American, Bi-Racial, even TransGendered.... Well, if common sense actually prevails someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta