Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM

472 posts, read 854,841 times

Advertisements

‘Bad times' for Cobb schools to include job cuts *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,366 times

What budget shortfalls does Cobb County really expect when the Cobb County Senior Citizen School Tax Exemption kicks in at only 62 years of age? It's unreal.

Not only is the Cobb County Senior Citizen School Tax Exemption qualifying age much too young at only 62, but I would guess the qualifying income is much too high. I do know the qualifying age in Cobb County is 62. In regard to the qualifying income, I'm not certain about that. But I can only speculate that it's much too high.

However for DeKalb County, I do know both the qualifying age and the qualifying income. The qualifying age for the School Tax Exemption is 70. And if your senior citizen annual gross income is under $77,000, your property taxes will be reduced approximately 75 percent.

From my perspective, an annual senior citizen income of $77,000 is much too high. Especially now, during the Great Recession.

It's just not fair that these senior citizens, with incomes up to $77,000, have a property tax bill of only $1250 say on a $400,000 house.

These very, very, very, very generous property tax breaks for pretty well-fixed senior citzens just doesn't compute when hundreds of metro Atlanta school district employees are receiving their pink slips.

In addition, there's no rhyme nor reason for the various qualifying ages. In Cobb County the qualifying age for the School Tax Exemption is only 62. In Forsyth County the qualifying age is 65. In DeKalb and Fulton Counties the qualifying age is 70.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
Seems fair to me. A tax break for those age 70+ who meet those income guidelines. This is not the cause of the shortfall and would represent a small percentage of property tax collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
What budget shortfalls does Cobb County really expect when the Cobb County Senior Citizen School Tax Exemption kicks in at only 62 years of age? It's unreal.

Not only is the Cobb County Senior Citizen School Tax Exemption qualifying age much too young at only 62, but I would guess the qualifying income is much too high. I do know the qualifying age in Cobb County is 62. In regard to the qualifying income, I'm not certain about that. But I can only speculate that it's much too high.

However for DeKalb County, I do know both the qualifying age and the qualifying income. The qualifying age for the School Tax Exemption is 70. And if your senior citizen annual gross income is under $77,000, your property taxes will be reduced approximately 75 percent.

From my perspective, an annual senior citizen income of $77,000 is much too high. Especially now, during the Great Recession.

It's just not fair that these senior citizens, with incomes up to $77,000, have a property tax bill of only $1250 say on a $400,000 house.

These very, very, very, very generous property tax breaks for pretty well-fixed senior citzens just doesn't compute when hundreds of metro Atlanta school district employees are receiving their pink slips.

In addition, there's no rhyme nor reason for the various qualifying ages. In Cobb County the qualifying age for the School Tax Exemption is only 62. In Forsyth County the qualifying age is 65. In DeKalb and Fulton Counties the qualifying age is 70.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:50 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Considering that not too many 62 year olds have school age children right now, I think it's fair. However, it should probably be pushed up soon because more people are having children in their late forties now.

I'm curious to know if the seniors that will be drawn to Cobb because of the favorable condition will improve the tax base because of the senior communities that will need to be built and the private homes they will buy. I think people generally associate senior communities with only being a sub-par improvement of land, however Cobb may draw some of the higher income seniors with its conveniences and favorable tax situation. The Park Vinings plan, for instance, was just converted to a senior community and will probably be started when funding becomes available.

Planned Park Vinings senior community below. I imagine this will add a significant chunk of taxes to Cobb County. Note that the rendering below is already out of date because a new office building and the start of Riverwood 200 has changed in the foreground.

Credit: Burt Hill

Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
Most 62 year olds don't have school age children but everyone benefits from an educated public (in my opinion).

Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Most 62 year olds don't have school age children but everyone benefits from an educated public (in my opinion).

Well, many gays and lesbians don't have children and yet they're forced to pay school taxes.

These exemptions may be okay in a booming economy. But that's certanily not the case today. Far from it.

Regardless, the age restriction is just half of the equation. The other half of the equation is the income amount. For senior citizens who don't have a mortgage, a $77,000 income is a damn good income. Many of these seniors drive expensive cars and pay cheap property taxes. How lovely? And it's a free ride in a luxury car, too.

The head of the DeKalb County schools, with a salary of approximately $255,000 is being forced to stepped down and yet he's going to receive a new car every three years for the rest of his life. Is that fair?

"Everyone benefits from an educated public ( in my opinion)." Educated? With class sizes increasing?

If the kids are so smart and educated why do administrators have to erase answers on standardized tests?

No parents in their right minds would send their children to a public school now.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
If the kids are so smart and educated why do administrators have to erase answers on standardized tests?

No parents in their right minds would send their children to a public school now.
Are you so poorly informed that you imagine the issue regarding erasures on standardized tests applies to all schools and school districts in the state?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Are you so poorly informed that you imagine the issue regarding erasures on standardized tests applies to all schools and school districts in the state?

Poorly informed? I may be poorly but I'm informed.

Anyway, Erasure passes my standardized tests as one the best groups to have toured Pencil Vania.

Georgia is considered to have one of the worst educational systems in the nation. It's obvious something isn't going well in Georgia.

I personally think Georgia has too many counties. We're only second to the state of Texas in the number of counties.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
Quote:
Well, many gays and lesbians don't have children and yet they're forced to pay school taxes.

These exemptions may be okay in a booming economy. But that's certanily not the case today. Far from it.

Regardless, the age restriction is just half of the equation. The other half of the equation is the income amount. For senior citizens who don't have a mortgage, a $77,000 income is a damn good income. Many of these seniors drive expensive cars and pay cheap property taxes. How lovely? And it's a free ride in a luxury car, too.

The head of the DeKalb County schools, with a salary of approximately $255,000 is being forced to stepped down and yet he's going to receive a new car every three years for the rest of his life. Is that fair?

"Everyone benefits from an educated public ( in my opinion)." Educated? With class sizes increasing?

Many gays and lesbians were educated in public schools. Many gays and lesbians have children. (just pointing that out).

I agree with you that the exemption needs to change. I always get frustrated when I hear the term "they live on a fixed income". Well so do most people...

Most parents can't afford private school. You know after living in a bunch of different states and researching schools until my eyes were crossed I realized poor performing schools have more to do with parents and economics than anything else. You can have excellent teachers, great facilities but without motivated parents (for a variety of reasons some very valid others not so much) you aren't going to have great students. It is just the way it is. Regardless of class size, budget cuts etc etc....schools with solid parent support will always produce excellent students.

Last edited by kaday; 04-15-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:

Maybe poorly informed is not the best term Rainy should have used. And while I agree with some of your statements concerning the taxing structure being a little too lenient in Cobb, I would have to say your powers of deduction and reasoning are strongly out of kilter when you end your arguments with the ridiculous statement I bolded above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta