Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:30 PM

486 posts, read 982,216 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to get a position at the CDC for a few years. I recently relocated to Atlanta for other reasons and have ramped up my efforts. I apply for every public health analyst or advisor that is posted. I have a master's degree in public health. I have ten years experience in healthcare but in the hospital setting. I have never been called or considered for a position there. Is the only way in to know someone there? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Everyone I've met who worked there was a contractor so I think a lot of openings are filled that way, I am sure it depends on the type of position though.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 30,513 times
May want to consider doing one of the CDC fellowships -- like Public Health Prevention Service (PHPS)...it is a paid fellowship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
I have been trying to get a position at the CDC for a few years. I recently relocated to Atlanta for other reasons and have ramped up my efforts. I apply for every public health analyst or advisor that is posted. I have a master's degree in public health. I have ten years experience in healthcare but in the hospital setting. I have never been called or considered for a position there. Is the only way in to know someone there? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 AM

486 posts, read 982,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataab4 View Post
May want to consider doing one of the CDC fellowships -- like Public Health Prevention Service (PHPS)...it is a paid fellowship.
Thanks! I didn't know about the fellowship. I will look into that.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 AM

228 posts, read 910,817 times
I have heard recently (am just going for my masters now) that CDC jobs through USAjobs, etc. are almost entirely filled internally andthrough contracts etc. I was told it is virtually impossible unless you are a vet to get a job through those websites. I would definitely look into that fellowship. It seems once you get your foot in the door its more easy to find a job. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:15 AM

136 posts, read 478,349 times
I worked there many years ago as a contractor. I think that's how most people get a foot in the door.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,851 times
You could also try using LinkedIn and find people with similar backgrounds. If you already have a network established you might be very close to being able to contact someone there. I show 500+ registered CDC people on that site.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post

I currently know one person who works for the CDC, and I have previously known another person employed by the CDC.

In both cases, the two CDC employees are/were absolutely brilliant. One person spoke one language fluently and had a doctorate degree.

The other CDC employee has a doctorate degree, in addition to a law degree in an entirely different field.

Your credentials are great, but I honestly don't know whether they would be good enough for a managerial position within the CDC.

I'm sure managerial positions exist at all levels at the CDC but finding a job, like many things in life, is just a matter of luck. A vacancy has to exist and then applying exactly at the right time.

No doubt finding work at the CDC is highly competitive. Especially now during the Great Recession.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 74,832 times
Formerly, I worked at the VA Hospital. For many, it was a stepping stone to the CDC.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
Hi, I work for CDC as a federal employee. Before that I worked as a contractor. It's true that a very many people who are federal employees start out as contractors. This has not ALWAYS been the case but it's been this way for quite a while now. I think one of the reasons this happens is because hiring a federal employee is very, very hard...and firing people is near impossible. So, they hire people as contractors and if they really like them then they will post a position for that person. BUT, that person still has to compete for it (and the application process is a horrible, terrible, awful GAME that we all despise).

Other ways to get into CDC are to go get a medical degree or a PhD in epidemiology, biostatistics, or some other public health subject and then apply for the EIS program. Once you get accepted to EIS you're virtually there. EIS is a two year fellowship, kind of like a post-doc, that's like a prestigious club...when you're done you can just about guarrantee yourself a position in CDC with a LOT of career paths. BUT to do EIS you have to have an MD, DVM, DDS, or PhD...they occassionally take lawyers and very, very occassionally take nurses. But they won't take people with just an MPH.

As for your MPH...that should be sufficient to get you a contract position. Try the Northrop Grumman website. They're our biggest contractor. Also try this website hosted by Emory:

Public Health Employment Connection

I have an old-fashioned Masters degree in Statistics. I graduated in 2002. I worked in the private sector, then in academia, before joining CDC as a contractor in 2006. I "converted" to "FTE" (that's what they call federal employees at CDC, for some reason) in 2008. It's not unusual for someone to work as a contractor for 2-6 years before "converting".

The main thing is not to give up. Keep applying to jobs that both interest you and those that just seem to fit your skillset. Once you're in as a contractor the path to conversion is to simply do the best job you can. CDC is one place that will appreciate and reward hard work (I know that theoretically any job is supposed to do that but CDC was the first place I found that actually did).

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: