Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,748,065 times

Advertisements

If it weren't for Savannah and Atlanta, Georgia would be no different than Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama. Instead, Atlanta and Savannah make Georgia more like the state of New York. However, unlike New York who pays close attention to New York City (to the point upstate NY complains), Atlanta always gets shafted.

Perhaps MARTA should just double rates to get peoples' attention.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:21 PM

823 posts, read 2,210,113 times
The difference is that NYC and the down state suburban counties band together for the most part. Here, even the suburban counties are on the screw Atlanta bandwagon. Metro Atlanta makes up half the state's population. If we all stood together we would run the government. But it will never happen.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,748,065 times
I don't think that Cobb County is on the "screw Atlanta" bandwagon. Cobb County has CCT which connects to Marta. However, CCT is profitable.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,286,713 times
Atlanta was a two-lane dirt road country town once upon a time. It was because of progressive-minded people like Henry Grady who had the forethought to get beyond the typical backwater southern politics of confederate flags to boost Atlanta as a city in permanent forward motion.

But I hope that you are right about the Atlanta's potential mass-transit turn-around.(Thanks for the correction, by the way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
LOL I get what you're saying, but honestly Charlotte, NC (not SC) is not a threat. I'm from Charlotte, and Atlanta has a lot more going for it and a lot more to offer. Don't get confused by all the hype in Charlotte: Many of the highways are still two lane each way rural highways, rural roads carrying urban/suburban traffic, outdated interchanges, and a 9 mile light rail line. Mass transit is the only thing holding Atlanta back and I feel certain something will happen in the next few years.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM

314 posts, read 637,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post

Perhaps MARTA should just double rates to get peoples' attention.

That wouldn't get anyone's attention but the people that are already getting screwed by this. It would just further bother everyone who is upset about the shortages while the jerks throughout the rest of the state that are too ignorant to realize how important mass transit is can just keep going through life not knowing or caring.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,915,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
The difference is that NYC and the down state suburban counties band together for the most part. Here, even the suburban counties are on the screw Atlanta bandwagon. Metro Atlanta makes up half the state's population. If we all stood together we would run the government. But it will never happen.
Taking it a step further, Fulton and Dekalb counties make up 20% of the State's population alone. Yet, we still get less respect from the current state government than counties that have less people than my neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,402,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You just gotta love the "cut off the nose to spite the face" style of politics that goes on in this state. It's so laughable, it's sad.

I agree with you on this statement. If we kill Atlanta's ability to attract business, we kill the rest of Georgia as well, and in many parts of Georgia, state overnment is really the only major jobs force in town. Can't have those nice state jobs without the major money that Atlanta offers.

Those bubbas will only hurt themselves by continually feeding into the devilish glee of seeing Atlanta suffer.
The sad thing is the Bubbas who are opposing progress don't live in the Metro area, don't use it, so they have a selfish "Me, Me, Me" mentality. What needs to be done is let Atlanta benefit from everything it attracts. Let the rest of the state starve. (If it were possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Even worse, the Metropolitan Atlanta region will likely choke on its own fumes, traffic gridlock will be ever present in all directions from sun-up to sun-down, AND big businesses will pull out and find a home in upstarts like Charlotte, SC....which will likely include NCR, the vaunted prize that our current goober-natorial state executive so execessively self-congratulates himself over recruiting.

Pretty soon Georgia will be back to subsistence farming as a way of survival. Yay for conservatism, yaaaay...
Exactly. What needs to happen is for traffic to get worse, damn near unbearable (I think we're getting there), and big companies need to threaten to leave the state/city, or that the state/city handles its public transportation issues.

Once companies start leaving in droves (something no one wants), I think they'd get the message. Corporations seem to have the say so in everything these days. They're in bed with government, and they're in the best position .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
LOL I get what you're saying, but honestly Charlotte, NC (not SC) is not a threat. I'm from Charlotte, and Atlanta has a lot more going for it and a lot more to offer. Don't get confused by all the hype in Charlotte: Many of the highways are still two lane each way rural highways, rural roads carrying urban/suburban traffic, outdated interchanges, and a 9 mile light rail line. Mass transit is the only thing holding Atlanta back and I feel certain something will happen in the next few years.
Not a threat now. Let a few progressive minds from Charlotte, start giving Atlanta competition, and we'll see who's who in 20 years. Every place in this country started as a two lane road with nothing. Seems like some places, the mentality is what's still prevailing.

For Atlanta's sake, let's hope leadership joins the 21st century, and hope public transportation improvement/development is on their agenda.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,301,647 times
^All great points.

What we REALLY need is a totally new makeup of the House, Senate and Executive branch of this once and hopefully, future great State. Time to totally clean house this November.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,402,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^All great points.

What we REALLY need is a totally new makeup of the House, Senate and Executive branch of this once and hopefully, future great State. Time to totally clean house this November.

That's what needs to happen. Clean house!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,131,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
Lets get rid of the fire department while we're at it. We can all just buy really big hoses! I think we should stop having the government fund medical research too... I mean I don't have cancer, and if I did, and I wanted to live badly enough, I would just pay someone to cure it for me!

*brushes hands off* problem solved!
No...not a valid analogy. And yes...there is a legitimate question as to whether or not governments should fund medical research. Not because research is bad, but because it can be argued that it's not a function of government.

Fire and police and other public safety is essential and cannot be provided by individuals for themselves. Transportation can be provided by individuals or groups of individuals for themselves.

I pay my SPLOST tax and motor fuel taxes, as well as MARTA taxes when I purchase things in Fulton or Dekalb. I still have to pay to maintain my vehicle and put fuel in it to go to work. The state doesn't subsidize my transportation.

I understand that some subsidy is needed for any public transit, but if there isn't enough money to completely pay for the operating costs, then the users of that service need to pay for it. Everyone wants something for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta