Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,177 times

Advertisements

Hey folks..glad I found this place. My family is considering relocating to GA in July of 2009 (right after my daughter's HS graduation). It is either GA or TX..Im open to either one. I am from San Diego and have lived in California my whole life.

Let me tell you about us and then get to my questions:

Married African-American couple with 2 children, 2 girls. The youngest will be a sophmore in HS when we move, the oldest will have graduated.

We are looking for an area that is ethnically diverse, near enuff to a big city to get there easily (easy commute) but not living IN the city.

He works in the legal filed and I am in healthcare.

I am concerned about good schools, and good communities with relatively low housing prices. I think anything is low compared to California!

So, keeping all that in mind, what suburbs around Atlanta sound like a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 PM

434 posts, read 1,734,309 times
Default Recommendation

I would look at the area west of Atlanta like Powder Springs..

The area to the west still has a decent cost of living and they are building beautiful new homes like crazy in the area. The burbs to the north are nice but the housing is getting more expensive there and diverse is not the word I would use to describe the ethnic makeup.

Last edited by jxu66; 06-10-2007 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: sorry competite web site.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:51 PM

985 posts, read 5,747,898 times
Depend on what you defined as affordable. City of Decatur school, Druid Hill high and Lakeside high in Dekalb county are both diverse and highly rated. Starter home started from 350,000+.

The best public schools in atlanta area is either walton in east Cobb or Northview in North Fulton. But those schools may not have diversity you look for.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 PM

276 posts, read 1,125,467 times
I have been told that the areas to look at for the same type of stats you need are Cummings, Sandy Springs,Barnesville and Grayson and Deluth. I have started to look there as well. We live in SWFL and are considering moving this fall or next summer...
Happy hunting..Let me know what you find. Id be interested in anything you find along the same lines.

Take Care
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta