Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 54,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the area and streets in venetian hills, streets like cahaba, mayflower, cummings etc. Is this an up and coming area. House prices are very cheap and there are some nice homes available.

Would appreciate opinions of any of the locals in the are or surrounding areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
Mostly older ranch-style homes. Demographics- mostly older retired crowd, I believe Hank Aaron and former mayor Shirley Franklin live close by. Close by(ten or so minute drive) to the Camp Creek Marketplace area-new big-box style retail area.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else familiar with these streets or the cascade area in general?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM

339 posts, read 695,847 times
munecita,

I have conversed with you in the past when I was house hunting a few month ago and you sent me PMs. I know that you do not live in the area and you are looking for property as an investment. Unless that has changed since you last pm me.

If I may make a suggestion to all others who are long distance and looking at real estate here in the Atlanta area whether it is to live in it as a residence or only for investment.

You need to make a trip here and see with your own eyes and ears the area(s) and house(s) that interest you. Unless you have someone you trust 100000% to look at a property for you and you feel comfortable buying on their say so, you and only you should make that decision after a visit or two to the area that interest you.

Based on your posts here it seems alot of the areas you have expressed interest in are areas that are slowly trying gentrify, being restored to their former glory, etc. In other words, they have issues but with a few diamonds sprinkled in here and there (street by street). The spirit of urban pioneers is in effect.

If you are moving to one of these areas as a primary residence or investor expect there will be the usual things that happen with gentrification: break ins, thefts (auto) etc. When I was looking in some of the areas you expressed interest in I drove through the neighborhoods at different hours of the day to try to get a feel.

That is something you cannot do long distance. And my opinions or anyone else's opinion may have fact as well as subjectivity involved.

I spoke to some of the neighbors in these areas. Again something you cannot do long distance.
I also had a realtor that was HIGHLY knowledgeable about the areas. My realtor could tell me things about some of the homes I was interested in before I wasted my time visiting(like the neighbors blasted music all day or hung around all night, etc.)

Some neighborhoods are filled with nothing but investor owned homes being rented. As an investor that may not bother you, but for some one looking for a primary residence, a place to call home, you may not want to be surrounded by homes on all sides that are rentals. This does not help an area rebuild and stabilize in my opinion.

We can give you street names for Cascade, Venetian Hills or some other areas you have an interest in but you can get street names online with a little research, but that does not tell you the story, you have to see/experience the areas for yourself.

Another thing most of the homes in these areas need some kind of work $$$$, especially if the price is below let's say maybe 80-90 thou. The bubble may have burst but a move in ready home is not dirt cheap-it may not be worth the price of the home plus repairs as you may not be able to get the rent you need to cover expenses.

I have driven down many streets (Cahaba, Westridge, Eastridge, etc) in Venetian Hills when I was hunting a few months ago. Most were quiet but alot of the homes were investor owned/renter occupied.

In my opinion there is a distinct (better) vibe difference on the streets of Venetian Hills north of Sandtown Road. I also thought West ridge had a very different vibe than Eastridge and they are neighboring streets. Again this is something I "sensed" while driving through-subjective yes, but my opinion.

Long distance may be good to do the initial research, but whether one is an investor or primary residence an up close and personal look, in my opinion is a requirement when buying real estate.

Good luck to you

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 AM

Hi NYPeach,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. I will be in Atlanta in about 10 days time. Your posts and others on the forum have been really helpful in giving me a feel for some of the areas. I will be doing the ground work as you suggest but have a starting point on the areas that I am interested in.

I welcome any further comments of anyone living in and around cascade and surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta