Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM

69 posts, read 206,818 times

Advertisements

My husbands office will be in Norcross Georgia. We thought we'd move to Peachtree City, until so many wonderful people said "are you crazy with that drive", so now we're on the hunt again.

We are looking for a safe, family friendly, low-crime, great schools area. I'm not at all familar with Atlanta and very scared. Any advice or help would be so wonderful. We have two children ages 7 and 13, and want the best for them. We are so sick of CT and how disrespectful the children are and how bad the schools are, we're looking for a big change.

Please help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
You could consider Alpharetta or Roswell. If you stay in the areas east of 400 the commute wouldn't be too horrible.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad1974 View Post
My husbands office will be in Norcross Georgia. We thought we'd move to Peachtree City, until so many wonderful people said "are you crazy with that drive", so now we're on the hunt again.
Yeah, those areas are on diametrically opposed corners of the metro, and maybe 50 miles apart. Not a pretty commute. You can use Google Maps to see:

Norcross, GA to Peachtree City, GA - Google Maps

There are many nice places not too far from Norcross, and maybe even in Norcross itself. I'm 20-25 miles from there myself, so I don't know (my world tends to revolve around the NW corner of the metro while Norcross in the the NE corner), but I'm sure others can chime in with more useful suggestions.

Don't worry. My wife and I moved to Atlanta from a suburb in the Twin Cities on 3 weeks notice back in 2004, and we've done okay. There are MANY more good areas in the Atlanta metro than bad ones.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 PM

119 posts, read 302,235 times
I would suggest you look at the Peachtree Corners area of Norcross. Peachtree Corners is not a city itself, though there has been talk of incorporation, but it is within a Norcross zip code: 30092.

The general area is west of Peachtree Parkway, south and east of the Chattahoochee River, and north of Holcomb Bridge Road.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
I would suggest you look at the Peachtree Corners area of Norcross. Peachtree Corners is not a city itself, though there has been talk of incorporation, but it is within a Norcross zip code: 30092.

The general area is west of Peachtree Parkway, south and east of the Chattahoochee River, and north of Holcomb Bridge Road.
I completely concur! Peachtree Corners is an excellent location with award winning schools. I'm not sure what your budget is but Berkeley Lake is a great town, but very expensive. Also, in Gwinnett that would be a commutable distance would be Duluth and parts of Suwanee. Also, Alpharetta, parts of Roswell, and Johns Creek are in commuting distance. However, traffic from getting to Gwinnett from Fulton can be daunting because there aren't many crossings over the Chattahoochee. My recommendation to you is to live as close to work as possible. Life is too short to commute!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 AM

69 posts, read 206,818 times
Thank you so much for the information. Is there any specific schools to stay aways from or that I may really want to use? Are these areas that you've mentioned newer? I'm curious what they look like, I've lived in South Charlotte and the area was so beautiful with clean streets, newer buildings, stone parking lots for the shops, outdoor eating, gorgeous landscaping. There was alot to do outdoors with the family including a huge lake near by. Any websites that I may go to that would have pictures of the area?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the information. Is there any specific schools to stay aways from or that I may really want to use? Are these areas that you've mentioned newer? I'm curious what they look like, I've lived in South Charlotte and the area was so beautiful with clean streets, newer buildings, stone parking lots for the shops, outdoor eating, gorgeous landscaping. There was alot to do outdoors with the family including a huge lake near by. Any websites that I may go to that would have pictures of the area?
I wish I had a picture of the area from Peachtree Corners north.

The Atlanta Athletic Club is located in John's Creek--will host the 2011 PGA Championship.

Go Here>>>
Atlanta Athletic Club

and
St Ives Country Club>>>
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

The Chattahoochee River runs through the area and Gwinnett County has done an outstanding job of designing parks/recreation areas and greenspace.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 04-26-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
Peachtree Corners was developed from the late 70s to the mid-90s for corporate/executive housing, so there is a mix of options. The homes built in the 70s and eighties usually have the center-hall "five, four and a door" boxy look. The later neigborhoods have the typical mix of brick and stucco houses.

As for schools to avoid, I would stay away from Peachtree Elementary. Stick with the Simpson district, since the difference is night and day.

If you need public from k-12, i dont think peachtree Corners is the best option, since after simpson, the middle and public school (pinckneyville middle and norcross high) are pretty mediocre. If you need good public k-12, try Dunwoody (next town west from Peachtree Corners), and your commute would still be fine. If you dont mind going private, Peachtree Corners has good access to Atlanta's private schools.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Peachtree Corners was developed from the late 70s to the mid-90s for corporate/executive housing, so there is a mix of options. The homes built in the 70s and eighties usually have the center-hall "five, four and a door" boxy look. The later neigborhoods have the typical mix of brick and stucco houses.

As for schools to avoid, I would stay away from Peachtree Elementary. Stick with the Simpson district, since the difference is night and day.

If you need public from k-12, i dont think peachtree Corners is the best option, since after simpson, the middle and public school (pinckneyville middle and norcross high) are pretty mediocre. If you need good public k-12, try Dunwoody (next town west from Peachtree Corners), and your commute would still be fine. If you dont mind going private, Peachtree Corners has good access to Atlanta's private schools.
Dunwoody has much to offer but I think the potential for growth lies in the area from Duluth to Buford/Suwanee.

I wish I knew the name of the area I accidentally found during a summer rainstorm. I know I was north of Pleasant Hill. It was raining so hard I had to stop and wait and I got something to eat at a new Kroger.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

kad1974,

Peachtree Corners is a great area to live and raise a family K-12. Simpson Elementary, Pinckneyville Middle, and Norcross High are all great schools, with top academics and strong community support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta