Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,617 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am going to move to Atlanta next october from Europe. I am a 29 year old white female, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of safe, European areas from which someone could conveniently drive to midtown.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM

171 posts, read 588,218 times
You didn't say what your budget was, but a couple areas come to mind. Mainly Morningside and Virginia Highland. As far as crime, well, these are nicer areas, but compared to most European cities it may be like coming into a war zone. Particularly if you watch the evening news, but just use common sense and you should be fine.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson55 View Post
Hello, I am going to move to Atlanta next october from Europe. I am a 29 year old white female, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of safe, European areas from which someone could conveniently drive to midtown.

Thanks
Actually Midtown is probably where you should live.
atlanta-midtown.com | guide to Atlanta's intown neighborhoods | Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Midtown, Druid Hills, Decatur

Actually Decatur would go at the top of my list>>>>
http://www.decaturga.com/

Decatur is about 5-10 miles, or less, south of downtown Atlanta.
Many young professionals and families live there. Agnes Scott College, headquarters of DeKalb County government and many well educated people live in Decatur.

There is no denying that there is crime in Atlanta, GA but I think the NE sector of Atlanta---including Midtown to Decatur is above average in safety.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson55 View Post

Thanks
What have you heard (or what have people been telling you) about Atlanta?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
Mainly Morningside and Virginia Highland. As far as crime, well, these are nicer areas, but compared to most European cities it may be like coming into a war zone.
I really don't see either of these neighborhoods as a 'war zone' regardless of the standard you're using.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Decatur is about 5-10 miles, or less, south of downtown Atlanta.
Last time I checked, Decatur was six miles east of downtown.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Last time I checked, Decatur was six miles east of downtown.
lol--I'll try to remember--the way I drive I can never be certain of much.

Peachtree to Ponce and somewhere around Briarcliff Rd/Moreland Ave it becomes DeKalb County--???unicorporated Atlanta. Then when I hit Scott Blvd---I say I am in Decatur.

I haven't lived abroad but I cannot imagine Atlanta or most of the larger US cities being more hazardous than international cities. London sounds rather intimidating. jmo.

Having just returned from the Morningside/Inman Park area/Trader Joes--I can report that all is well. The azaleas are blooming, yardwork is in progress and the weather is 'as good as it gets'--not too hot or too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta