Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 PM

78 posts, read 263,565 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
we are entertaining the idea of moving to Atlanta in a year or so but I need some local advice, please.
From what I have read East Cobb county (eastern Marietta), Alpharetta, Roswell and Peachtree city seem nice suburbs with good public shools. We have two little children and schools and safety is paramount.
I have no idea where my future job will be ( I will start looking when time approaches) but since I am in IT (systems administrator), I am guessing in either Downtown or north/northwest of it.
Coming from Los Angeles and Houston, traffic is a concern but I can tolerate up to 1 hour driving to work.
Now, which of those above mentioned locations offer best schools, less crime, entertainment (restaurants, malls, libraries, parks, etc.) and less of a commute to Downtown during business hours?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:45 PM

239 posts, read 922,500 times
Based soley on the information you provided, I would look at the four places you mentioned in this order:

1. Roswell
2. Alpharetta
3. East Cobb
4. Peachtree City

Like you said, all four areas have good public schools. Peachtree City will give you the furthest commute (especially if your job is north of downtown). For the quickest commute from Roswell/Alpharetta you probrably want to stay as close to State Route 400 as possible. You may also want to provide additional detail such as your price point and desired demographics for better feedback from others.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM

78 posts, read 263,565 times
We are looking into buying a 3 bdr/2 bath house (older is OK) for up to $225,000 ( I have seen so many ). We like diversity and are tolerant to all cultures (myself are European and wife is Latina) .
I read somewhere that traffic from Peachtree city to downtown could be easier than from Alpharetta area, is this true? Then again, Peachtreee city seems so "isolated" from the city and its amenities.
Thanks again

Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
I will admit that I have never been to PTC, but alot of people seem to recommend it. It just seemed far and when my husband, who usually works at GT has to go to Kennesaw, it would be a very long drive.

East Cobb has great schools but no real downtown or center city that I could find. Roswell has a nice small town feel in the Canton Street area with a variety of nonchain restaurants. And nice parks along with family activities, outdoor venues and convenient shopping.

My husband has been driving from Mansell Rd to GT and leaves around 6:00 am with a commute time of 25-30 minutes. When he leaves at 5:00- 6:00 it is a considerably longer drive.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM

239 posts, read 922,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
We are looking into buying a 3 bdr/2 bath house (older is OK) for up to $225,000 ( I have seen so many ). We like diversity and are tolerant to all cultures (myself are European and wife is Latina) .
I read somewhere that traffic from Peachtree city to downtown could be easier than from Alpharetta area, is this true? Then again, Peachtreee city seems so "isolated" from the city and its amenities.
Thanks again
Ok, in that case I would still keep my rankings the same for you. It would be hard for me to imagine a shorter commute from Peachtree City than Alpharetta, but I would imagine it would be possible (maybe) if someone lived in the northern tip of Alpharetta and far from 400. Peachtree City will definately feel the most "isolated." The other areas feel more connected to the Atlanta Metro than Peachtree City, which feels like a world of its own. I occasionally have meetings in Peachtree City and when I drive through I must say it is an extremely beautiful area though.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM

23,445 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
1. Roswell
2. Alpharetta
3. East Cobb
4. Peachtree City
All good places; this would be my order of preference:

1. East Cobb
2. Alpharetta
3. Roswell
4. Peachtree City

East Cobb wins this one IMO thanks to schools, local government and overall attractiveness.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM

37 posts, read 74,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
Thanks again
Peachtree city is isolated, it was built for people who work at the airport because for the most part the southside of Atlanta is unfit for people who desire any kind of good quality of life. They'll rant about how this isn't so, but it is, and indeed you've already seen from your limited research 2,000 miles away that the north areas are attractive. I think you are in for a shock, you should visit whatever area, because Atlanta is not LA and the people here are very different. Smyrna comes to mind, however the schools are hit and miss. If you want amenities and culture in Atlanta you can't stray far from the city at all. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
East Cobb has great schools but no real downtown or center city that I could find. Roswell has a nice small town feel in the Canton Street area with a variety of nonchain restaurants. And nice parks along with family activities, outdoor venues and convenient shopping.
All true, but you have to look at the actual location of the home. I live in north-east Cobb, just over the county line from the City of Roswell. (I even have a "Roswell" street address because I'm in the 30075 zip code, but I'm in Cobb). Therefore my child attends a highly reputed East Cobb high school, yet the historic Roswell city center mentioned above is just 10 minutes away, and it's where DH and I usually head for a nice dinner. We swim at the Roswell Area Park pool, use the Leita Thompson Memorial Park a lot (in Roswell, 5 minutes from our house) and we shop in both Roswell and Cobb.

If we lived in East Roswell, on the other side of 400, we'd be very handy to North Point Mall, but I doubt we'd spend much time at all in historic Roswell. It would be at least a 20 minute drive away, in what's often terrible traffic along GA 92.

City names like Roswell and Marietta, and even informal designations like "East Cobb" cover such large and varied areas, that it makes understanding this area quite difficult. Unless you're planning to live right by one of the historic town centers, the fact that Canton St in Roswell and the square in Marietta are really nice, may not affect your life much.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
All good places; this would be my order of preference:

1. East Cobb
2. Alpharetta
3. Roswell
4. Peachtree City

East Cobb wins this one IMO thanks to schools, local government and overall attractiveness.
To the OP--

Yes, they are all great places to live. And remember, Peachtree City (which is in southern Metro Atlanta), offers a great commute to Downtown and points southward (ie Airport, etc.). I like to call the southside the "soft underbelly" for Metro Atlanta commuting.

And...my order of preference would be--

1. Roswell
2. East Cobb
3. Peachtree City
4. Alpharetta

Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 AM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblac View Post
Peachtree city is isolated, it was built for people who work at the airport because for the most part the southside of Atlanta is unfit for people who desire any kind of good quality of life. They'll rant about how this isn't so, but it is, and indeed you've already seen from your limited research 2,000 miles away that the north areas are attractive. I think you are in for a shock, you should visit whatever area, because Atlanta is not LA and the people here are very different. Smyrna comes to mind, however the schools are hit and miss. If you want amenities and culture in Atlanta you can't stray far from the city at all. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta