Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

Any help would be appreciated....

We are a bi-racial family relocating to the Atlanta area. We are sticking to the north right now and one of the communities we are looking into is Bridgemill in Canton. I have heard mixed things about Canton and Cherokee as a whole regarding racial issues. We live in an upscale mostly Caucasian development now and have no issues at all.

Any feedback or input on that area and if we are to have any issues?

I am white, my wife is black and our daughter (bi-racial of course!) is 10 heading into 5th grade.

As said, any help would be appreciated as we really like the development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
I had posted about Canton once before (non race post) but will repeat some of the stuff I know about it. We have one person at our company who lives there. I've spent time there for jobs and to hang out with someone when they lived up in that area, but do not live there myself.

Canton at one point was very "old south". Small, and tons of chicken farmers (literally) - some of whom are still there with a few chicken farms (and their smell) today. In the last few years though, there has been a lot of growth in that area as transplants move into the metro area, as well as people who live in the city move "out" to get away from the more urban areas. In terms of growth issues it's the usual... fast increases in traffic in certain areas, crowded subdivisions (some of which may not be built to A+ standards so use an inspector), some crime increases but it's not bad.

Then there are the cultural issues... you have old, deep south born rural people who have had several generations of family live up there, living close to if not right next door to the new people who may have moved up from inner Atlanta, New York, or L.A. Sometimes the people mix well, sometimes not. Yes, there is a certain element of some deep southerners who still use the word "Yankee" in a negative way, and some racial issues here and there - one example is that many suburban county leaders try to keep Atlanta's subway system (MARTA) from expanding into their areas as it will as they put it, "allow certain elements access to our area".

Ok, I've lived down here for 21 years or so and there is one thing I have noticed though - for those who DO have mixed-race problems, it almost 100% of the time seems to be when they see a black man with a white woman. I have in all these years never heard anyone make an openly negative comment about a white man with a black woman. I think it's because at one time a couple of decades ago you would see black men with white gals and it was more of a shock value thing (not true love, etc) and everyone kind of strutted around with the "Hey look what I got" attitude just to shock the locals - and it worked. Some of those old feelings about it still exist, but again, seemingly never toward white men with black wives.

As far as the kids, the suburban counties are seeing a HUGE increase in foreign-born kids entering their school systems, so you see kids from Africa, Asia, the Middle East, India, and everywhere but Mars walking the halls - a mixed race kid isn't going to draw any attention at all like they may have a decade or so ago.

It's hit and miss, really. Find a subdivision you like. Walk up to a few doors and knock on them and tell the folks you're thinking about buying there and ask about crime, schools, etc. If you're shy about blunt talk just pay close attention to how they look at you as a couple as you talk to them, but the best bet is to just come right out and say, "in this neighborhood do you think people have problems with mixed couples?". You could find a whole area where no one gives a crap, but you may also move into an area full of rednecks too, so it's best to knock and meet the locals before getting out the checkbook.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Then there are the cultural issues... you have old, deep south born rural people who have had several generations of family live up there, living close to if not right next door to the new people who may have moved up from inner Atlanta, New York, or L.A. Sometimes the people mix well, sometimes not. Yes, there is a certain element of some deep southerners who still use the word "Yankee" in a negative way, and some racial issues here and there - one example is that many suburban county leaders try to keep Atlanta's subway system (MARTA) from expanding into their areas as it will as they put it, "allow certain elements access to our area".
In fact I've seen it said several times in this forum. Sad but what you gonna do?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikasman View Post
Any help would be appreciated....

We are a bi-racial family relocating to the Atlanta area. We are sticking to the north right now and one of the communities we are looking into is Bridgemill in Canton. I have heard mixed things about Canton and Cherokee as a whole regarding racial issues. We live in an upscale mostly Caucasian development now and have no issues at all.

Any feedback or input on that area and if we are to have any issues?

I am white, my wife is black and our daughter (bi-racial of course!) is 10 heading into 5th grade.

As said, any help would be appreciated as we really like the development.
We're also a bi-racial family (BM/WF) with children headed to high school. We're also exploring our long-term living choices. We've ruled out any town that's overly homogenous. In our experience, a community that is overly homogenous it's usually a result of desire, and not merely chance or coincidence.

One reason we didn't choose Canton is because of the relatively low number of educated individuals. And the chances of our kids experiencing ignorance and prejudice in school or other social situations appeared greater. Moreover, and depending on how you think your daughter will culturally identify herself, kids take their cues from their society. Simply put, if we were considering living in East Cobb, and it was clear to me that most East Cobb residents preferred (in a nice way, of course) the lowest possible percentage of Black residents, then we take that into consideration in terms of our sons. We wouldn't place them in a situation where they might feel isolated or undesirable. I know this sounds harsh, but it's an unfortunate and continued reality. On the flip side, we won't live in Lithonia or Stone Mountain or Riverdale or College Park for similar reasons.

If there's anything I understand, though, it's budget. And new developments in Canton are much more affordable than Alpharetta, Duluth, and other areas. We gotta do what we gotta do, and sometimes there's less of a luxury of choices. But if the budget allows for a choice other than Canton, I'd consider it.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
Quote:
Canton at one point was very "old south". Small, and tons of chicken farmers (literally) - some of whom are still there with a few chicken farms (and their smell) today.
The rest of Metro Atlanta was old south as well.

Quote:
So we use 'Yankee' in a negative way and you're all over this board calling us 'rednecks'. fair?

Yeah that Marta thing was like 20 years ago when no one lived in Cherokee county, it was Cobb County that said that, and look at Cobb's diversity today.

Bridge Mill is a nice neighborhood, Look at Town Lake area as well, right down the road. Town Lake's been up there for 15+ years, there's plenty of nice neighborhoods. Quite a few golf courses, close to the lake, good shopping, nice people.

The whole Bi-race thing won't be an issue, and if it is, no one's going to say anything to your face. They'll keep it to themselves.

Georgia is like 48th in the country in hate crimes, you'll be fine. And Canton is great, still somewhat of a country feel and you're close to the mountains and lake.

You're biggest issue, is going to be taking 575 South in the morning if you have to work that way.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
The rest of Metro Atlanta was old south as well.

So we use 'Yankee' in a negative way and you're all over this board calling us 'rednecks'. fair?

Yeah that Marta thing was like 20 years ago

The whole Bi-race thing won't be an issue, and if it is, no one's going to say anything to your face. They'll keep it to themselves.

Georgia is like 48th in the country in hate crimes,

1) So using Yankee in a negative way earns the badge of "redneck"? Yes. Why is using Yankee in a negative way any less bad than using redneck is bad? If there are bad Yankees invading, there must be bad rednecks still around, too. Guess it's even. "The war" was over 120+ years ago. Time to get over it. We're all called AMERICANS now. Not Yankees or carpet baggers or invaders or any other name ... AMERICANS. Once people here stop labeling those who move from elsewhere with all kinds of tags, they'll probably find that labels such as "redneck" will disappear as well.

2) So, if the MARTA vote comes up today, you'll vote yes?

3) The fact that no one is "going to say anything to your face" doesn't make it any better if they're racist. Knowing you have neighbors who hate your guts even though they won't say it to your face doesn't make living in a neighborhood enjoyable. Personally I think that area is growing out of that, but regardless, that is a typical "old south" mentality that some do still have... "it's ok as long as you don't say it to their face - wait until they leave the room".

4) There is a difference between the number of hate crimes that occur, and the number that are reported and logged. Regardless, actual hate crimes isn't that common here so much as overall prejudice some families may find in some areas.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-14-2007 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times
gt6947a:

Are you interracially married or similarly involved? If so, then your statement "the whole bi-race thing won't be an issue" carries a lot of weight and credibility. If not, it doesn't negate your opinion, but at the same time, someone of such a marriage or relationship is going to have more knowledge and a more credible opinion.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
Quote:

1) So using Yankee in a negative way earns the badge of "redneck"? Yes. Why is using Yankee in a negative way any less bad than using redneck is bad? If there are bad Yankees invading, there must be bad rednecks still around, too. Guess it's even. "The war" was over 120+ years ago. Time to get over it. We're all called AMERICANS now. Not Yankees or carpet baggers or invaders or any other name ... AMERICANS. Once people here stop labeling those who move from elsewhere with all kinds of tags, they'll probably find that labels such as "redneck" will disappear as well.

2) So, if the MARTA vote comes up today, you'll vote yes?

3) The fact that no one is "going to say anything to your face" doesn't make it any better if they're racist. Knowing you have neighbors who hate your guts even though they won't say it to your face doesn't make living in a neighborhood enjoyable. Personally I think that area is growing out of that, but regardless, that is a typical "old south" mentality that some do still have... "it's ok as long as you don't say it to their face - wait until they leave the room".

4) There is a difference between the number of hate crimes that occur, and the number that are reported and logged. Regardless, actual hate crimes isn't that common here so much as overall prejudice some families may find in some areas.
1. redneck is not the same as Yankee, it's along the same lines as calling someone a nappy headed ho.

2. No, I wouldn't vote 'yes'. It would be wasted money. The ajc has an article on BRT that I think would make much more sense. I do take CCT Express every morning and evening to/from Acworth/Downtown but only b/c it's convenient for ME, for most it wouldn't be.

So as far as the 'bad' people getting to Cobb, there's already CCT for that, so that argument doesn't work.

I think Mass Rail and even the BRT wouldn't work b/c Atlanta is less dense than other cities that have these system.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/stories/2007/05/14/0513sbizbus.html (broken link)

I think Truck lanes would be the most beneficial at this point.

3. The same can be said about your neighbors not liking your yards, noise, animals, cars, etc.

If anything, Mexicans get more crap than anyone else

4. So what's the point of gathering statistics on this? Many people on this forum have said that racism was much more prevelant in their native 'Yankee' states than down here.

I'm familiar with Canton/Woodstock area and the neighborhoods around there so I gave my 'redneck' point of view.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 PM

212 posts, read 546,269 times
What prices are you looking at in Canton? On another thread someone said housing in Alpharetta was in the $500 but there are homes in the 200-300's.
I think if you can afford it you would be happier in Alpharetta.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,376 times
We are a WM/BF couple living in the city of Atlanta. We realize once we have school aged children we will have to move. We are going to move to Alpharetta when the time comes. Of all the burbs we have visited this was the one we felt most comfortable in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta