Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Rock on! Cumberland to Perimeter light rail here we come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
More on Reed's transportation priorities:

Atlanta mayor's transportation priorities include Buckhead, Beltline and streetcar *| ajc.com

I'm glad to hear about the Beltline and streetcar. But I wonder what he means about Buckhead (which seemed to be his main priority). That seems a little hyperfocused, especially if we're looking at the transit needs of the city as a whole.

Also, this interview seemed WAY too short.

Last edited by K-SawDude; 07-05-2010 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Gotta satisfy the mega-money types I guess. The squeaky wheel gets the grease & the people in Buckhead keep their wheels nice & squeaky for Kasim & their political Representatives to hear.

Plus, it also pays to keep their council member's re-election chest well-stocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
More on Reed's transportation priorities:

Atlanta mayor's transportation priorities include Buckhead, Beltline and streetcar *| ajc.com

I'm glad to hear about the Beltline and streetcar. But I wonder what he means about Buckhead (which seemed to be his main priority). That seems a little hyperfocused, especially if we're looking at the transit needs of the city as a whole.

Also, this interview seemed WAY too short.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Gotta satisfy the mega-money types I guess. The squeaky wheel gets the grease & the people in Buckhead keep their wheels nice & squeaky for Kasim & their political Representatives to hear.
Are you kidding? Those people in Buckhead have been hollering about GDOT's failure to complete the I-85/GA400 interchange since they rammed it through twenty years ago. As you know, GDOT never finished the ramps for 400 to exit north on 85, or for 85 to exit north on 400. As a result umpteen zillion people have to get off and wind around on a bunch of crazy surface streets. That backs up traffic all the way through midtown and almost to I-20.

It's especially weird since SRTA has already accumulated enough toll money to finish the job. If anything the folks in Buckhead got a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Compare that to all the massive traffic improvements that have been made elsewhere in the city.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Umm...we are talking about the city here, NOT the state. A very big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are you kidding? Those people in Buckhead have been hollering about GDOT's failure to complete the I-85/GA400 interchange since they rammed it through twenty years ago. As you know, GDOT never finished the ramps for 400 to exit north on 85, or for 85 to exit north on 400. As a result umpteen zillion people have to get off and wind around on a bunch of crazy surface streets. That backs up traffic all the way through midtown and almost to I-20.

It's especially weird since SRTA has already accumulated enough toll money to finish the job. If anything the folks in Buckhead got a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Compare that to all the massive traffic improvements that have been made elsewhere in the city.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Umm...we are talking about the city here, NOT the state. A very big difference.
Well, the state has most of the transportation money, not the city. That's why it's such a big deal that the mayor got an important seat at the table. The city doesn't even have enough money to fix the potholes.

I must say I am amazed at the way people diss on Buckhead. It's a part of the city that did not run for the hills during white flight. It's where the city gets a whopping chunk of its tax base, much of which goes elsewhere. It's where the people live who gave us the Arts Center, the pro sports teams, the downtown parks, the skyline, etc. Drop into a Buckhead night spot, restaurant, bookstore or shopping mall and see the diverse population they serve. It's where many of the city's leaders have lived and it's still where many of today's celebrities settle when they have arrived. Seems to me we'd want to promote it rather than tear it down. But whatever.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I've always wondered about that...

Was there a reason for this omission?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM

My guess is that 400 caused so much turmoil in north Atlanta that GDOT basically just wanted to quit. One of the big compromises for allowing them to build the highway was that the MARTA line would be extended and once that was done there was less urgency to finish the ramps. GDOT still probably owns most of the right of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: