Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM

63 posts, read 282,339 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Atlanta area from Michigan due to an exciting employment opportunity downtown. I plan to move in late July. Emery Crawford Long Hospital is very close to where I will be working.

Because I only traveled to Atlanta once before in my life, I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like. I need to know what areas/zip codes I should be looking for a home to rent. The other issue is I need a home with a garage because my boyfriend has a motorcycle

I enjoy being outdoors but keep to myself, so I don't want to live in a "planned community" where nosy neighbors are everywhere and there are rules about how long your grass can be I also don't want to live in a new development-like subdivision with no mature trees ("Unless there's a huge garage," he says)

I heard that Marietta is beautiful but what is the commute like everyday? I can't imagine sitting in my car/in traffic for two hours a day. Is it preferable to take the freeway or is it possible to travel using MARTA?

I was looking in Decatur but I don't think the areas where I was looking was a desirable one. I am moving from east of Ann Arbor, so the crime rate is higher here than in Ann Arbor but I would like to move to a very safe neighborhod that is ethnically-sensitive (I am hispanic/white) and close to work.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,097 times
The commute from Marietta will be horrendous. The desireable areas of Decatur are pricey and the undersirable ones can be scary. Don't worry too much about the ethnically sensitive part. There are a lot of hispanics in the Atlanta area.

Anywhere desirable inside the perimeter (I-285 circle) is going to be more expensive, but will cut your commute time.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,033 times
From Marietta your commute options are driving or taking Cobb Community Transit. CCT is bus only and won't really save you any time, just stress. If you live far enough east (not actually Marietta but Marietta mailing address) you can drive to GA400 and take Marta from there but again it isn't going to save you any time. Most of the older neighborhoods are intown although some of the older stand alone towns have some older housing stock such as Marietta or Decatur, so you are on the right track. However, any of the older stuff is going to be expensive.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
The commute from Marietta will be horrendous. The desireable areas of Decatur are pricey and the undersirable ones can be scary. Don't worry too much about the ethnically sensitive part. There are a lot of hispanics in the Atlanta area.

Anywhere desirable inside the perimeter (I-285 circle) is going to be more expensive, but will cut your commute time.

Are there any specific areas/zip codes where I do NOT want to live? I will be living with my boyfriend but there will be times when I will be home alone and I don't know in which areas the crime is higher. This has become a huge problem in trying to find a home to rent--not being familiar with the area is a little scary.

(Any suggestions on how to find a rental home in a safe area would be GREAT!!)

Old 06-14-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
From Marietta your commute options are driving or taking Cobb Community Transit. CCT is bus only and won't really save you any time, just stress. If you live far enough east (not actually Marietta but Marietta mailing address) you can drive to GA400 and take Marta from there but again it isn't going to save you any time. Most of the older neighborhoods are intown although some of the older stand alone towns have some older housing stock such as Marietta or Decatur, so you are on the right track. However, any of the older stuff is going to be expensive.
What are the area codes in the desirable areas of either Decatur OR Marietta. When I keep looking at the rental homes, there doesn't seem to be much in Marietta unless it's the south or southeast side of Marietta. Is this an OK area to live?

Also, I am looking for some input on where people PARK once they get to work? It's a scary undertaking to move to such a large city without knowing the area

Old 06-14-2007, 06:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,232 times
I would rent in Virginia Highland, Morningside, Toco Hills, Oak Grove, or Druid Hills. Look on Craigslist and then write us back if you find anything that looks good. There's always a deal or two in these nice areas. And, just as an FYI, it's Emory, not Emery!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
I would rent in Virginia Highland, Morningside, Toco Hills, Oak Grove, or Druid Hills. Look on Craigslist and then write us back if you find anything that looks good. There's always a deal or two in these nice areas. And, just as an FYI, it's Emory, not Emery!
I looked in the areas you mentioned but there was nothing available (as of yet). How does: 3146 at Bay Street in Scottdale look? I have heard that Clarkston is not a desirable area and quite dangerous.

Do you know much about Marietta? I was looking in Kennesaw but I think that's a very long drive...

Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,232 times
No, you really don't want to do Marietta or Kennesaw. Waaaaayyyy too far. What is your budget if you don't mind my asking? Clarkston wouldn't be my first choice. Did you find anything in the Toco Hills/Emory University area? I just typed in Emory in Craigslist and found some deals under $1300 for ranch homes (usually means lots of land) right around the Morningside area around Johnson and Briarcliff. This is very convenient to everything. Try this and see what comes up.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
No, you really don't want to do Marietta or Kennesaw. Waaaaayyyy too far. What is your budget if you don't mind my asking? Clarkston wouldn't be my first choice. Did you find anything in the Toco Hills/Emory University area? I just typed in Emory in Craigslist and found some deals under $1300 for ranch homes (usually means lots of land) right around the Morningside area around Johnson and Briarcliff. This is very convenient to everything. Try this and see what comes up.
Thanks a lot for all the help -- I really need it!! The only thing is that I'm not sure I can afford $1300. I was thinking right around $1,000 to $1,100 but I will run a search in the areas you mentioned.

So Emory is a good area? Is everywhere in Emory safe?

I saw this one and it says it's very safe. It seems to be close to downtown.

I did a search. What do you think:
951 Prospect Ave., Atlanta, Ga
3438 Rockbridge Road at Northern Avenue, Decatur City/Avondale Estates
Oakham Place at Windsor Terrace, Avondale Estates

Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,033 times
Quote:
Yes this would be the perfect place for you. You would be looking at a ranch but it would have a little more character (trees), you can probably find a garage and a 15-20 minute drive to work. You asked about parking, there is lots of parking in downtown and midtown. Both garage and surface lot parking is available. Prices will depend on where you are, I have seen stuff in a garage for as little as $3 a day but it is probably more expensive around Emory Hospital. You can always get a monthly pass which will save you some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta