Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 AM

23,368 posts, read 43,832,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
hmmm--train trestle and Ford Factory--the back side of the Sears/City Hall East bldg? Once a restaurant--70's or 80's--maybe now a club of some sort? You know how I am--driving and listening to the oldies--how I get from one place to the other is nothing short of a miracle. I will need to drive through again and try to pay attention to my driving.

I have never known where the Old Fourth Ward is--maybe Boulevard? I suppose I could check the collection of books about Atlanta--or ask my Mother who would explain at length ---lived in a tiny apt in Inman Park when she started working at the Trust Company Bank--'38 or '39. Cresthill. You would like that street---cobblestones.

spanx
TAH, you might be thinking of the Masquerade on North Avenue. Behind there is where the new Beltline park for Old Fourth Ward is going in.
Yes, Boulevard and Parkway are two of the main N-S routes in O4W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 PM

16,645 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
So is Poncey Highland the area from Krispy Kreme to the intersection of Ponce and Briarcliff/Moreland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
On the south side of Ponce, I believe that Poncey-Highland ends at the railroad trestle (between Ford Factory Square and City Hall East) and Old Fourth Ward begins. On the north side, the same goes for Virginia-Highland and Midtown.
Quote:
hmmm--train trestle and Ford Factory--the back side of the Sears/City Hall East bldg? Once a restaurant--70's or 80's--maybe now a club of some sort? You know how I am--driving and listening to the oldies--how I get from one place to the other is nothing short of a miracle. I will need to drive through again and try to pay attention to my driving.

I have never known where the Old Fourth Ward is--maybe Boulevard? I suppose I could check the collection of books about Atlanta--or ask my Mother who would explain at length ---lived in a tiny apt in Inman Park when she started working at the Trust Company Bank--'38 or '39. Cresthill. You would like that street---cobblestones.

spanx
Quote:
TAH, you might be thinking of the Masquerade on North Avenue. Behind there is where the new Beltline park for Old Fourth Ward is going in.
Yes, Boulevard and Parkway are two of the main N-S routes in O4W.

TakeAhike and Lovin...

Here are some maps to clarify things:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_n.pdf

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_m.pdf

Enjoy!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,922,050 times
Thanks for that!

In my head Poncey-Highland began after Charles Allen. There is definitely a cohesive area from their to Briarcliff.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
God forbid! The Clermont Lounge is an institution in Atlanta! The locals would never stand for it.
Some of us OTPers love the Clermont, also. Or my wife does, anyway. I think it's fun to visit occasionally. Although the bathrooms are scary.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,419,427 times
Thanks, Aries. I need to 'become familiar' with the parts of Atlanta that I should know by heart. Born in Crawford Long Hospital after WW2, Sept. 11--what a day---Hotlanta, GA--The Big, The A town--whatever you want to call it. Gotta really understand the vibe. Atlanta Tams--and so on and so forth.
Walking down Ponce de Leon to the Krispy Kreme---I hum a few tunes.

TAH

Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Thanks for that!

In my head Poncey-Highland began after Charles Allen. There is definitely a cohesive area from their to Briarcliff.
Quote:
Thanks, Aries. I need to 'become familiar' with the parts of Atlanta that I should know by heart. Born in Crawford Long Hospital after WW2, Sept. 11--what a day---Hotlanta, GA--The Big, The A town--whatever you want to call it. Gotta really understand the vibe. Atlanta Tams--and so on and so forth.
Walking down Ponce de Leon to the Krispy Kreme---I hum a few tunes.

TAH

De nada.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM

69 posts, read 176,069 times
rcsteiner - I understand many people love the clermont lounge. However would you want to buy a house on Bonaventure a few doors down from it? I found out that I don't and that is why that street is run down and people haven't snatched up those properties and renovated them. Most homes on that street were very run down. The Clermont was just too close for comfort for me! And, I went to view the house thinking that the house would be so great I could overlook that...but I couldn't overlook it and neither could my husband! They will be lucky to find a buyer for that property due to it's location.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

23,368 posts, read 43,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
rcsteiner - I understand many people love the clermont lounge. However would you want to buy a house on Bonaventure a few doors down from it? I found out that I don't and that is why that street is run down and people haven't snatched up those properties and renovated them. Most homes on that street were very run down. The Clermont was just too close for comfort for me! And, I went to view the house thinking that the house would be so great I could overlook that...but I couldn't overlook it and neither could my husband! They will be lucky to find a buyer for that property due to it's location.
Well, different strokes for different folks...what repelled you about the neighborhood will be attractive to other prospective buyers.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well, different strokes for different folks...what repelled you about the neighborhood will be attractive to other prospective buyers.

sho 'nuff.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,419,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
sho 'nuff.
'Cause--'just around the corner' there is Emory.

Emory University Commencement

LOL--I got in the middle of the ceremonies and decided to go another way. Everybody looked happy. Great weather and lots of pictures being taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta