Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:16 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,705 times

Advertisements

What is it with the Mill Creek area of Dacula? There are like 50 something crimes within a 2 mile radius, and most of them are auto theft/break in.
Then you go to the area of Suwanee (around Avonlea Crossing) and like 1 crime (auto).
Is Dacula a crime area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
What is it with the Mill Creek area of Dacula? There are like 50 something crimes within a 2 mile radius, and most of them are auto theft/break in.
Then you go to the area of Suwanee (around Avonlea Crossing) and like 1 crime (auto).
Is Dacula a crime area?
'Crime Mapping'--handing you the shaker of salt.

Hopefully someone from the area will be along shortly--Dacula is a good area and if that many have been apprehended then I conclude the PD is doing an outstanding job.

Possibly some of this comes from the proximity to the Mall of Georgia?? I rarely go that way and don't really know where Mall of GA is in relation to Suwanee and Dacula but that could be one theory.

When crime mapping has been discussed before--the guys have given better explanations of how to interpret such data. If I were to look at my own neighborhood---with a percentage rank in the upper 90's I am certain I would seem similar incidents. From time to time the neighborhood association sends out an update on recent break-ins---and the community contacts the PD which then steps up crime prevention efforts. I would wager this is what goes on in Suwanee and Dacula.

I hope you get to visit soon because I think that would reassure you that you have selected a very nice location for your family.

I found this--not certain how to interpret the FYI--but I know from visiting Dacula and Suwanee that the PD's are serious as a heart attack about Law and Order.
http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].com/crime/dacula-ga
Gwinnett County--when your DH starts his job at the Medical Center you should tour Lawrenceville and see the Headquarters of the Gwinnett County Justice Center--certain someone there would be happy to explain Gwinnett's philosophy of obeying the law.
This was once an agricultural community--Rednecks--farmers--Conservative people. My mother's family lives in the area and morality is priority--take it from me. The south part of Gwinnett has had some problems--and a special task force was appointed to clean it up and they won't stop until the 'Message' is clearly understood by each and every citizen.
http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal...eJusticeSquare

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal...PreventionUnit

Here's a list of City PD's/phone numbers--somewhere on the site there should be FYI on how to email them--I would think. Very busy people--I see officers out and about whenever I am over that way.
http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal...iceDepartments

Sarah Palin will be speaking at the Gwinnett Civic Center in June--if that tells you anything about Gwinnett county--Suwanee and Dacula.

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-08-2010 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 AM

Here's a crime map of my area in DeKalb County>>>
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

It looks like we are in the midst of a crime wave--608 incidents--yet I know that isn't true.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Some of those crime mapping sites only cover the unincorporated county (or vice versa, only within city limits) so that the actual crime rates are not reflected. I guarantee you that we have had more than one car break-in in the Avonlea Crossing/Morningview area - as I have been a victim, as well as my neighbors. Basically all of the areas in which you are looking in N. Gwinnett are about the same crime wise.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for that [domain blocked due to spam] site, because I just found out a registered sex offender (not incarcerated) lives 0.14 miles from a house I was looking at.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that [domain blocked due to spam] site, because I just found out a registered sex offender (not incarcerated) lives 0.14 miles from a house I was looking at.

My area has a number of sex offenders---never any problems--I understand your concerns but I believe only the PD which has jurisdiction can advise you.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:00 PM

143 posts, read 346,082 times
Quote:
Is Dacula a crime area?
Mill Creek is where Mall of Georgia is, correct me if I'm wrong. Any huge shopping center like that is going to be a magnet for car crime - they create relatively anonymous settings where car owners are likely to be away from their vehicles for an extended period of time, and there's an unusually high number of targets available, many of which are likely to have things worth stealing in them.

I wouldn't extrapolate anything about the area's residential safety from that data - it likely reflects a situation that you're not going to live in, unless you're planning on setting up camp in the Macy's parking lot.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
Mill Creek is where Mall of Georgia is, correct me if I'm wrong. Any huge shopping center like that is going to be a magnet for car crime - they create relatively anonymous settings where car owners are likely to be away from their vehicles for an extended period of time, and there's an unusually high number of targets available, many of which are likely to have things worth stealing in them.

I wouldn't extrapolate anything about the area's residential safety from that data - it likely reflects a situation that you're not going to live in, unless you're planning on setting up camp in the Macy's parking lot.
Rather set up camp in the PF Changs parking lot Yum!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM

143 posts, read 346,082 times
Quote:
Rather set up camp in the PF Changs parking lot Yum!
Now THAT I could get behind.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 AM

436 posts, read 952,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
My area has a number of sex offenders---never any problems--I understand your concerns but I believe only the PD which has jurisdiction can advise you.
It's pretty easy to be a sex offender. Ever snuck off in the weeds to take care of an emergency?

Under "zero tolerance," you would be on that list, if caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta