Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 20,882 times

Advertisements

Moving to the Alpharetta area this summer and I was wondering how is the traffic within the area. We will be working out of the home so driving into Atlanta is not an issue. But I am wondering how the traffic is in the afternoon for after school activies. We are not 100% sure as to where exactly in ALpharetta we will be renting but we looked at a few communities such as Crooked Creek, Seven Oaks, Windward, or one of the communities near Glenn Abbey. We stayed in the Alpharetta area last summer and these communities looked safe. Anyone familiar with them or the area? We have a 9 year old and an 8 year old and based on what I was reading the area seems to have some very good schools. Traffic did not seem to be bad at all, but being there during the summer might not be a good indication. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Yes, it is safe, with good schools, and lots of recreational programs. If you don't have to travel down to Atlanta, traffic won't really affect you. The areas around the schools will be congested at drop- off/pickup times, but otherwise local traffic isn't much of an issue. Windward can be busy during the lunch hours because of the eateries from one end to the other.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Traffic in Alpharetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by liejo0608 View Post
Moving to the Alpharetta area this summer and I was wondering how is the traffic within the area. We will be working out of the home so driving into Atlanta is not an issue. But I am wondering how the traffic is in the afternoon for after school activies. We are not 100% sure as to where exactly in ALpharetta we will be renting but we looked at a few communities such as Crooked Creek, Seven Oaks, Windward, or one of the communities near Glenn Abbey. We stayed in the Alpharetta area last summer and these communities looked safe. Anyone familiar with them or the area? We have a 9 year old and an 8 year old and based on what I was reading the area seems to have some very good schools. Traffic did not seem to be bad at all, but being there during the summer might not be a good indication. Any opinions?
Traffic in Alpharetta is not bad at all, except in some places (State Bridge Rd./Milton, Windward Pkwy, Old Alabama) during rush hour. There is some congestion at around schools at start and end, but otherwise it's easy driving. We feel very safe here and it's nice to be close to GA 400 if we want to go to Atlanta or Buckhead. Shopping is very convenient and the Greenway is nice for walking/bike riding. Most subdivisions have a swim/tennis and your kids can join the swim team and make lots of friends. I recommend a mom's club or newcomer's club for you, so you mix in right away.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes, it is safe, with good schools, and lots of recreational programs. If you don't have to travel down to Atlanta, traffic won't really affect you. The areas around the schools will be congested at drop- off/pickup times, but otherwise local traffic isn't much of an issue.
Except for certain east/west arteries like McGinnis Ferry, State Bridge, Abbotts Bridge. Seven Oaks (one of the neighborhoods mentioned) is actually in Johns Creek, next door to Alpharetta. Its only entrance is off of McGinnis Ferry. That road can get very backed up in the afternoons heading east towards 141, which is where many of the shops and eateries are. They have just started a multi-year plan to widen McGinnis Ferry to 4 lanes, but that will take a few years to complete. In the meantime you can expect that area to be congested and under construction.

Also, Kimball Bridge near Northpoint Parkway can get congested in the afternoons. This might affect you living in Glenn Abbey depending on where you are trying to get to.

It's a nice area, family friendly with good schools. But I found traffic to be a bit worse than others here are describing. Perhaps it's because I was closer to Hwy 141.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Kimball Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Except for certain east/west arteries like McGinnis Ferry, State Bridge, Abbotts Bridge. Seven Oaks (one of the neighborhoods mentioned) is actually in Johns Creek, next door to Alpharetta. Its only entrance is off of McGinnis Ferry. That road can get very backed up in the afternoons heading east towards 141, which is where many of the shops and eateries are. They have just started a multi-year plan to widen McGinnis Ferry to 4 lanes, but that will take a few years to complete. In the meantime you can expect that area to be congested and under construction.

Also, Kimball Bridge near Northpoint Parkway can get congested in the afternoons. This might affect you living in Glenn Abbey depending on where you are trying to get to.

It's a nice area, family friendly with good schools. But I found traffic to be a bit worse than others here are describing. Perhaps it's because I was closer to Hwy 141.
We use Kimball Bridge a lot to get to the North Point Mall area. Only two
times has there been any delay. They are working on one side of the road at a time. They let traffic in one direction move and then stop that lane and let the other direction go. Right now a section is complete and very nice. Although it is somewhat of a bother, it has not been that bad. I don't think it will take all that long to complete.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 20,882 times
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posting.... It seems as I might be better off to not considering SEVEN OAKS (Very nice community) as an option or any of those communities off McGiinnis Ferry Road because of the constrution/ We are only renting for the next year as we are new to the area and we want to make sure where in Alpharetta or any of the sorrounding areas would be the best option. How is the crime in the general area? We are moving from S Florida where the majority of the communities are gated including ours. It does not stop some petty crime such as braking into cars , etc. Just wondering. Thank you again. Looking forward to the Greenway

Old 05-09-2010, 08:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
We moved from south FL up to this area almost 5 years ago. I feel safer here than I did in my gated Weston neighborhood. Common sense prevails, everywhere.

I do think the traffic on the east side of 400 is a bit worse than that west of the highway. It will even out once all the contruction in John's Creek ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: