Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

What it boils down to for the OP, is that you need to realize that Atlanta is nowhere close to NYC in the amount of pedestrians you see at night. This is a city that is busy during the day, but nearly everyone leaves the central core (Five Points) to go home to the suburbs at night (similar to what you see in L.A. or DC). What's left behind are usually vagrants, bums, addicts, or kids "hanging" looking for trouble. There are a few people who have moved back into the central core area and they say it's being "reborn", but it's a long labor... years before it's a thriving center area after 5pm (if ever).

Midtown is a better choice. Upper Midtown better. Buckhead is fine as well. These have main MARTA rail lines on them. This is however, a DRIVING city and you'll soon find out that once again, this 'aint NYC. You *do* need a car here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 10:20 AM

133 posts, read 504,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1963 View Post
Five points is the biggest collection of winos, bums and hustlers i ever saw.
All the crime tends to gravitate to the center of the city- the five points marta station.
I would not sign a lease there until you have walked around during the daytime and then walked around at 10pm when the city is a ghosttown.
I would not live in five points if it was free.

I would compare five points to 125th street harlem
If what you are saying about Five Points is true then 125th Street is no longer a good comparison.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LahdeeDahdee View Post
If what you are saying about Five Points is true then 125th Street is no longer a good comparison.

I've been to NYC and that wasn't a good comparison. In many areas of NYC even the dodgier areas, you STILL see "regular folks" milling around after dark. Even areas with more bums than others you see folks going here and there who aren't bums.

Five Points after dark isn't like that. Think, "One who flew over the cuckoo's nest", mixed with a little "Thunderdome". You might see a few stragling tourists in the Underground complex area if there's stuff going on in town, but other than that, again no, it isn't any part of NYC down there.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
I am from DC and Five Points scares me.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Personally, I would compare Five Points to Times Square pre-Giuliani. There's not really any violent crime, but more petty theft and vagrants. Fairlie Poplar, which is north of Five Points is an awesome and up and coming area. Also, check out Highland Avenue in the new Inman Park Village where there are several new apartment developments coming up. It's adjacent to downtown and there are a lot of young people living there. Castleberry Hill also is a very good option.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
What is the difference between Five Points and Little Five Points again? I didn't understand that from the posts here.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default 5 Points/Little 5 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
What is the difference between Five Points and Little Five Points again? I didn't understand that from the posts here.
From About.com: 5 Points

Definition: Where Downtown Atlanta comes together, with Peachtree Street connecting to such major Downtown Atlanta streets such as Broad, Marietta, and Forsyth streets. Major tourist attractions such as Underground Atlanta, World of Coke, and Centennial Olympic Park are nearby. Also the name of one of MARTA's rail stations(Atlanta's mass transit system), that connects the North-South line to the East-West line.

Little 5 Points--this is closer to midtown but again--'5' points intersect/5 main roads.

Midtown is north of '5 Points'/center of the city--around North Ave/Ga Tech, Fox Theater and in the vicinity of West Peachtree and the High Museum.

I am terrible at directions--but you go east from Peachtree St to arrive in Little 5 Points--the intown neighborhoods of East Lake and Candler Park are in this area. Home to the more avant garde.

sls

Old 06-17-2007, 07:53 AM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Default A Simplified Explanation

Five Points is right in the heart of downtown Atlanta. Little Five Points is east of Atlanta on Moreland Avenue (US 23/42). Five Points and Little Five Points are no where near each other; maybe about 10-15 minutes away.

Last edited by ATLienGirl; 06-17-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-17-2007, 08:00 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know about "Five Points" had only ever heard of Little Five Points and knew some neighborhoods like Candler Park etc were close and there are several shops and activities there in the evening so was confused at people talking about it needing to be avoided etc.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 AM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Yeah, "Little Five Points" has less crime than "Five Points" simply because it's not in the heart of downtown. I love going there, it has a very eclectic feel, it's almost "hippie" like; a completely and totally different world. I go there to get my tattoos done and also go there whenever I want to get away from the "traditional" setting. Actually, to get there, you can go east on Decatur Street or Edgewood Avenue from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta