U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM

5 posts, read 19,014 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking for input from residents or people who have lived in Georgia. I am relocating this summer with my 8 year old son to Clarkston. My good friend just moved there two months ago and I chose Clarkston until I am able to know the city for myself, so that we're close to a familiar face and thought it would be good so we could help each other out. My son will be attending school in Dekalb county(Indian Creek) with my friends son and I plan to get an apt. there in August. Is this a decent city/county for now or should I look elsewhere????? I also considered Norcross. I will be working for Emory Hospital, and want to spend no more than $650 per month for an apt. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanx!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM

325 posts, read 912,768 times
You should not. Not a very good area, or moderate for that matter. Very run-down and for 650, you will not get anything that great. Norcross is not any better. Just look at it this way...you get what you pay for. The cheaper you go, the more questionable the area.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,010,294 times
I feel safer in Norcross... The Clarkston High School is terrible...

Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 AM

8,862 posts, read 16,089,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffields07 View Post
Hi. I am looking for input from residents or people who have lived in Georgia. I am relocating this summer with my 8 year old son to Clarkston. My good friend just moved there two months ago and I chose Clarkston until I am able to know the city for myself, so that we're close to a familiar face and thought it would be good so we could help each other out. My son will be attending school in Dekalb county(Indian Creek) with my friends son and I plan to get an apt. there in August. Is this a decent city/county for now or should I look elsewhere????? I also considered Norcross. I will be working for Emory Hospital, and want to spend no more than $650 per month for an apt. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanx!

Contact Pro Move Apt Locator Service/free>>>

Atlanta Apartments for Rent in GA | PROMOVE

I included links in the DM about the safer areas of Clarkston.

McLendon Elementary/Ponce de Leon and N.Decatur Rd area--is better but --???if their attendance area still includes Montreal Rd--I don't recommend you live there. Drove through an apt complex there a few years ago and they seemed to be having a lot of problems. Children running around unsupervised, old cars and the apartments were in very poor condition.

You could try the Brockett Elementary area --further up Ponce de Leon--there are some apts next to the shopping center on Ponce that are under new management--from about 3 years ago--cannot recall the name--used to be Tahoe Apts in the late 70's. I lived there and they are nice apts--have a lake--actually those kids go to Idlewood Elementary. Taught there--good school--very diverse student population.
http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/idlewood/

That's about all I know --good luck.

ETA: I think this is the property--Lakeshore/1281 Brockett Rd/Clarkston, GA 30021

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Clarkst...0134632103.htm

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-12-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I feel safer in Norcross... The Clarkston High School is terrible...
Norcross is too far away if she is working near the main campus of Emory.
So many Emory locations that is hard to be certain which one is referenced but if the OP is considering Clarkston then it's probably on Clifton? Is that correct, OP?

She/he can probably find something around Tucker--and Pro Move can help her do that better than we can--unless someone happens to have a 'crystal ball'---lol.

Relocating---it's difficult to know anyone's preferences.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Thanx for all the input I will be looking into the links and taking all given advice. And yes, I will be on Clifton street! And again I chose this particular area because my friend just relocated there and our sons are the same age and would attend the same school (Indian Creek Ele.) My friend hasn't had any complaints thus far but she's new there as well. Im coming from Detroit (no comments) LOL, and I feel like anything is better than this but don't want to be subjected to any worse conditions in a foreign city. I will be there to visit next month and will try to look into things in person because Ive never even visited there for myself. I would only maybe be there for about a year until I get on my feet but will make necessary changes if I have to while I still have time! Again thanx for everything and further input is appreciated.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffields07 View Post
Thanx for all the input I will be looking into the links and taking all given advice. And yes, I will be on Clifton street! And again I chose this particular area because my friend just relocated there and our sons are the same age and would attend the same school (Indian Creek Ele.) My friend hasn't had any complaints thus far but she's new there as well. Im coming from Detroit (no comments) LOL, and I feel like anything is better than this but don't want to be subjected to any worse conditions in a foreign city. I will be there to visit next month and will try to look into things in person because Ive never even visited there for myself. I would only maybe be there for about a year until I get on my feet but will make necessary changes if I have to while I still have time! Again thanx for everything and further input is appreciated.
It will be better than Detroit--but seriously, look at Idlewood Elementary, McLendon and Brockett schools. You would be living less than 10 minutes from Indian Creek.

About 15-20 minutes from Emory's main campus on Clifton Rd.

Which dept at Emory--if you don't mind my asking? Very excellent healthcare there--and much more. I see some good doctors over there---great staff, too.

Good Luck---we are pretty friendly here--in Clarkston you will hear many languages--somehow we can communicate ---that's the South---the progressive South--moving forward---always moving on.

The symbol of Atlanta is the Phoenix--mythical creature that rose from its own ashes after being burned. It's downtown in Woodruff Park--you'll have a lot to see and do when you relocate. Cultural opportunities, food, music, sports --all kinds of really good experiences are available for your child.

One of the best things about DeKalb County is its Library System. A Good branch--smaller one--is near Indian Creek Elementary--there are branches all over the county. Headquarters is in Decatur--a city that you will really enjoy---lots of history there--headquarters for DeKalb County government---very progressive community.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Wow. Thanx again! And Im not sure which department yet, I have a month of training then I'll be placed within the facility. Im very excited as well as my son Can't wait to get there. Thanx again for all the advice/input, and Im currently checking out those locations now. Stay tuned....

Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 PM

Thanx again TakeAHike for the references. I have looked into the Tucker area and like what I see, especially the schools. I think Im going in the right direction!!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 AM

13 posts, read 29,442 times
Shouldnt at all. Clarkston is my home school and its Bad. Plus the area is even worst go to norcrossDaSIC900blk-RedanRD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta