Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
GSU is an awesome research university that is very much diverse. I have many friends who are graduating from there this fall, and they all transferred from other major colleges to attend GSU.

Now, housing isnt really all that much of an issue. Since you might wanna live outside the city, thats a good bet. Id try the dunwoody area, smyrna, cobb, or perhaps Apharettta areas for apartments. You'd be suprised at what kind of deal you can get.

Atlanta, is by far LIGHT years ahead of Memphis. Not nearly as grungy or as much criminal element to deal with. Traffic can be horrible at times, but our transit system isnt THAT bad, (I ride it everyday to my school from Buckhead to Sandy Springs......) We actually have trains (real subway trains) and they are quite fast. With you commuting everyday, Id give MARTA rail a try. Parking can be a real hassle at your school.

I think you will love atl. Its a vibrant, healthy, progressive metro with tons of things to do. However, you wanna make the most of Atl, get to know some friends here. Atl is sorta social-circle centered, so alot of perks you come across in atl are all about whom you know and how. But were friendly down here, and if youve got a great personality, you will do awesome here.

Also, I should mention that there are plenty of intown areas that would be perfect for you as well, such as Midtown West (Howell Station, Marietta St.,Atlantic Station, Defoors Ferry), East Atlanta (Inman Park, Lil Five Points, Candler Park, Ansley Park, Poncey Highland,) , Druid Hills, Morningside, Virginia Highlands, Rock Springs Road,and of course Buckhead. (I listed those communities so you could google em for yourself). In advance, welcome to Atlanta. Its lovely down here!

(p.s.-You might wanna stay away from these areas though.....Campbellton Rd, Old Nat'l Highway, West End, Bankhead, Hollywood Road, Bolton Road, South Atl, Cleveland Ave,.....)
Not sure if I would classify the Atlanta metro as very progressive. Maybe the city itself but not the metro area as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
Well, it really depends on what kind of music she's looking for. Atlanta is a major, major city in the US music industry, but just like Nashville, it doesn't make all types of music in equal amounts. I'd probably want to rip my hair out over the music scene in Nashville, but that's because it's very heavy on the sort of music that I never listen to.

I had a roommate in Athens for several years that was from Memphis, and from the impression I got based on her stories about it, Atlanta is leaps and bounds ahead. There are plenty parts of the city that are perfectly safe, but it doesn't seem like that's so much the case with Memphis - I think revitalization there is pretty far behind what has happened in Atlanta.

If you're trying to decide between Atlanta and Kansas City, I've got to say that that sort of seems like a no-brainer. Atlanta is a much, much larger city (our metro area is about 2.5 times as populous, according to a quick Google) that is going to be more culturally diverse and, IMO, more interesting to live in. I've admittedly never been to KC, but it seems like it would be a little Memphis-y to me - not dangerous, but kinda boring.

Atlanta has a populous that tends to skew younger than average, which is great if you're a young professional, which it seems like you are (although you didn't include your age.) I went to the University of Georgia, not GSU, so I can't comment on them as a school, plus it would probably be helpful to know what program(s) you're looking at before recommending a university.

You're probably going to be at the high end of your budget if you're looking for a one-bedroom, but not wanting to be super close to the city will help with that. If you have a vehicle, being a bit outside the city shouldn't be a problem - public transportation is somewhat lacking here anyway.

I'd say give us a try - have you visited?
Sounds like you like rap music.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 PM

128 posts, read 215,081 times
^^^^please dont start a race riot on city data lol......This nice girl whom made the most only wants to know about the metro area from an outisider's point of view

And believe me.......to have such a modern city in the middle of racist, ole redneck, country, backwater Georgia is by all means the shining definition of progression lol

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM

^^^^please dont start a race riot on city data lol......This nice girl whom made the most only wants to know about the metro area from an outisider's point of view

And believe me.......to have such a modern city in the middle of racist, ole redneck, country, backwater Georgia is by all means the shining definition of progression lol

Old 05-18-2010, 01:35 PM

18 posts, read 59,196 times
thankyou hellomrwest, that answered a lot of my questions!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM

364 posts, read 717,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Also, I should mention that there are plenty of intown areas that would be perfect for you as well, such as Midtown West (Howell Station, Marietta St.,Atlantic Station, Defoors Ferry), East Atlanta (Inman Park, Lil Five Points, Candler Park, Ansley Park, Poncey Highland,) , Druid Hills, Morningside, Virginia Highlands, Rock Springs Road,and of course Buckhead. (I listed those communities so you could google em for yourself). In advance, welcome to Atlanta. Its lovely down here!

(p.s.-You might wanna stay away from these areas though.....Campbellton Rd, Old Nat'l Highway, West End, Bankhead, Hollywood Road, Bolton Road, South Atl, Cleveland Ave,.....)

Good post overall, however as someone who is from WM2 as we used to call it....lol....Its West Midtown, not Midtown West. I saw that in an ad in Creative Loafing one day and I cringed, literally. And you do realize that Defoors Ferry and Bolton Road are basically the same street dont you?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Not sure if I would classify the Atlanta metro as very progressive. Maybe the city itself but not the metro area as a whole.

As far as race relations I would definitely say that Metro Atlanta is as progressive as anywhere else.

The South in general gets an unwarranted black eye because of the Civil War and media sensationalism during the Civil Rights Movement. Yes there is still racism, but no moreso than in other areas. There is just as much racism in other parts of the country - if not more.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
As far as race relations I would definitely say that Metro Atlanta is as progressive as anywhere else.

The South in general gets an unwarranted black eye because of the Civil War and media sensationalism during the Civil Rights Movement. Yes there is still racism, but no moreso than in other areas. There is just as much racism in other parts of the country - if not more.
I don't live in Atlanta, but I have a feeling that whatever racism that's there is no worse than most other cities. The south has a bad reputation because of The Civil War, the Civil Rights movement, etc. But come to the north and you'll find plenty of racism, especially if you go outside the city. It's not as if we're having race riots or segregated schools. But the racism is there. So are the rednecks.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Good post overall, however as someone who is from WM2 as we used to call it....lol....Its West Midtown, not Midtown West. I saw that in an ad in Creative Loafing one day and I cringed, literally. And you do realize that Defoors Ferry and Bolton Road are basically the same street dont you?
really? No I didnt. I actually thought that bolton became Moores Mill. I was referring to the Defoors Ferry rd. by that waffle house, before you cross the seas of rail roads. But that area near Marietta Blvd and SW west of that, I would not recommend for a newcomer, with the exception of Riverside. It seems kinda quaint in a way. quiet. safe.

But that Hollywood Road/ Old Bowen Homes area is the bricks forreal. I got a few friends from around that way and even I wont set foot in Bowen homes or anywhere over that way after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta