Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:37 PM

222 posts, read 752,515 times

Advertisements

Just thought this was so needless. They have that fence and those signs for a reason! Taking a risk without a payoff is foolish. The Space Shuttle has risk (as we well know), but exploration always has that. But it has payoff for mankind, too.

Banker Falls To His Death At Stone Mountain - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Here's the length of fence he climbed over:

YouTube - On Top of Stone Mountain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 04:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Tragic. Nothing in the world could entice me to climb over that fence.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
This happened nearly two months ago in mid-March. It was widely publicized at the time on all the news stations. The man's wife of only a short time said he had a history of "always climbing fences and going into restricted areas" for "adventure".

He's not the first one. Others have fallen off the mountain in the past too, and the police there say they area always having to yell at people for climbing over that fence. I'm not sure what part of some folks brains make them look at a sign that says, "DANGER" and they interpret it as "ENTER".

I don't feel sorry for the stupid folks - but they usually leave behind family that will have to live with their decisions for the rest of their lives. Very sad.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
If you climb to the top and look out over the north face --weel, it is scary.

How they were able to carve into the granite is beyond me. I think one/two workers may have died.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,767 times
I remember reading couple of months back when the story came out that -- after crossing the fence and walking down, it looks like an easy enough task. But when you try to return, it is really steep.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
This happened a while ago. Not news. I have no sympathy for him, given the facts of the case. He crossed a marked barrier and suffered the consequences. When the rules don't apply to you, sometimes you come out with the short end.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,017 times
I don't even think I would take my young children up there until they are well into elementary school. That story awhile ago about the girl falling into the grand canyon just freaked me out. You never know what kids are going to do, so why risk it?

There have also been a few accidents at the north GA waterfalls where people went out there and tried to walk on the rocks. Of course, they slipped and fell down the falls. I remember seeing idiots out there on the rocks with their very small children. One slip and they would have been washed over the rocks.

Then there was the very tragic story of the man and his son who were sliding down an area in a river where there was some current and people used it like a slide. The father landed wrong and his leg became stuck in the rocks. The strong, cold water was too much for him and rescuers could not free him in time. You might not see that area as dangerous, but anything can happen. Steep rocks and fast flowing water are nothing to be taken lightly in these parts.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 20,075 times
The physical aspects of SM are marvelous. Be careful though, of the rip-offs. I bought two tickets to watch the Light Show and ride the gondola. When I got to the gondola station, it had been closed due to high winds. Then the Light show was canceled due to an approaching storm. No refunds. I paid $40.00 for my wife and I to take a train ride around the mountain. If you go, pay the entrance fee (parking is included) and then check out what is running. They will sell you a ticket even though the gondola is not operating. If you can do it, park at the base of the mountain, and walk up to the summit.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,383 times
The last thing to go through that guy's mind was a chunk of granite. Darwin wins again!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:49 AM

262 posts, read 637,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfoot3 View Post
The physical aspects of SM are marvelous. Be careful though, of the rip-offs. I bought two tickets to watch the Light Show and ride the gondola. When I got to the gondola station, it had been closed due to high winds. Then the Light show was canceled due to an approaching storm. No refunds. I paid $40.00 for my wife and I to take a train ride around the mountain. If you go, pay the entrance fee (parking is included) and then check out what is running. They will sell you a ticket even though the gondola is not operating. If you can do it, park at the base of the mountain, and walk up to the summit.
The light show is free. $40 would be a lot to pay just for a gondola ride, even if it was running!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta