Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:23 PM

799 posts, read 1,090,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Yeah, so what?
To whom that doesn't care, don't speak on!

But the data makes sense seeing how we always been known as a "Black Mecca"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,985,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It was bound to happen, but it's still pretty impressive. I'm sure NYC will hold that #1 spot for a good while more.

NYC does not have the amount of professionals AA that Atlanta has. NYC doesnt even have an area like "Cascade(outside 285) " in Atlanta

Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM

722 posts, read 3,305,292 times
Yeah, Atlanta definitely has surpassed New York as a mecca for black professionals. In New York a lot of black people are still relegated to neighborhoods in the city, while Atlanta abounds with AA's in the city as well as almost every corner of the metro area. Of course, this is no surprise to me- a fast growing metro area in the deep south would naturally attract a lot of black people solely based on regional demographics. But Atlanta's choice to bypass the integration turmoil that created bad publicity for cities like Birmingham didn't hurt either.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 PM

606 posts, read 1,998,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
Yeah, Atlanta definitely has surpassed New York as a mecca for black professionals. In New York a lot of black people are still relegated to neighborhoods in the city, while Atlanta abounds with AA's in the city as well as almost every corner of the metro area. Of course, this is no surprise to me- a fast growing metro area in the deep south would naturally attract a lot of black people solely based on regional demographics. But Atlanta's choice to bypass the integration turmoil that created bad publicity for cities like Birmingham didn't hurt either.
I don't know if you'd find a lot of AA's in places like Forsyth and Cherokee.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,646,540 times
I wonder how fast Atlanta's black population will grow due to other cities like Houston, Dallas, etc. that have are alternatives of Atlanta for many blacks.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,745,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
What about Detroit?
Also, "28 county metro area?!?!" 28 counties? That's like 1/4 of the state, right? I know Atlanta sprawls, but it can't sprawl that much.
Keep in mind that the core cities are five counties: Cobb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Clayton and Dekalb. Almost every inch of those four counties are developed and often more densely populated in much of them than Atlanta itself (with the exception of Gwinnett county, which is huge in area and only half of the county is densely developed). Then each one of those counties touches a few counties, so that brings it up to 28 pretty quickly.

1973 - you can clearly see development patterns in the core counties. Red on the map can be considered medium to high density areas. Suburban development still exists around those areas.

1992 - the core counties fill up and things start spreading outwards. Red on the map can be considered medium to high density areas. Suburban development still exists around those areas. E.g. by 1992, most of Cobb, Fulton Clayton, and Dekalb Counties were fully developed even in the areas not red on the map, just in more spread out suburban neighborhoods for the areas not in red.

By the early 2000s, the counties right outside the core counties grew to what the core counties were in the 1970s. Atlanta has by that time added another ring in counties like Cherokee county which start rapid growth in select areas. However, that trend is slowing and will stay that way until some of the activity centers on the edge of the metro area (like Town Center in Gwinnett and Winward Parkway in Alpharetta) grow more. Most of the growth is starting to happen again in the core metro - the 5 main counties - through redevelopment. Replacing a spread out subdivision with townhomes and condos like what happens in Smyrna (Cobb County), Decatur (Dekalb County), and Atlanta (Fulton County) adds a lot more people faster than developing tens of square miles with giant lots like happens in the outer metro area.

There are something like 15 counties partially in the maps above. Keep in mind Atlanta has exurbs, so some development jumped over empty land and started up again in other counties not shown on the map (example is Peachtree City and surrounding area)

Last edited by netdragon; 05-17-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-17-2010, 12:34 AM

128 posts, read 213,647 times
Great post. I think what attracts so many AA to Atlanta is the fact that one can enjoy a standard of living here in North GA that just cant compare anywhere else. And I think that goes for any demographic. Here in Atl, I notice that there are more AA with degrees and more AA that run government and businesses, which helps to create jobs and wealth. I really notice this in Dekalb County. Having seen Dekalb with my college homebois back @ FAMU is what encouraged me to move to Atlanta myself....and I stay in Fulton County myself. While most other metros across America have a well to do black section, here in Atl I observe actual suburbs with mostly upper middle-class blacks to lower mid-class blacks who make a very decent living. I also gotta say, me being in the marching band back in college (Hubba Marching 100 and White Whales-for those who read and may apply) I admire that the parents of Atlanta students support the music programs like they do. Southwest Dekalb, Stephenson (Dekalb) and Lassiter (East Cobb) are some of the finest music programs in America. Long story short, AA love it here in Atl b/c this is the good life. Compared to most major world cities, you just cant be black and attain the standard of living found in metro Atl.

Well, maybe Dallas, PG county MD, Houston, and Charlotte.....but thats debatable.

Check it out. Dekalb is the No.1 Most Affluent County for African Americans.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,828,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I don't know if you'd find a lot of AA's in places like Forsyth and Cherokee.
The key word was ( Almost) every corner of the metro...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,646,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post

Check it out. Dekalb is the No.1 Most Affluent County for African Americans.
Actually, PG County is. DeKalb County is a close second.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 AM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post

There are something like 15 counties partially in the maps above. Keep in mind Atlanta has exurbs, so some development jumped over empty land and started up again in other counties not shown on the map (example is Peachtree City and surrounding area)
Great post. All of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta