Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,600,941 times

Advertisements

Thanks lgiles, this is just the type of information we needed. My husband's new job is in Chamblee. And Tucker seemed like a good fit for us, the homes seemed reasonably priced, but we weren't sure. Do you know anything about the school situation in that area? We have a son who'll be starting elementary school in the next year or so.

Does anyone know about the commute from Tucker to Chamblee and possibly to Decatur? I don't have a job yet, but I'm hoping to get on with DFCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,209,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Thanks lgiles, this is just the type of information we needed. My husband's new job is in Chamblee. And Tucker seemed like a good fit for us, the homes seemed reasonably priced, but we weren't sure. Do you know anything about the school situation in that area? We have a son who'll be starting elementary school in the next year or so.

Does anyone know about the commute from Tucker to Chamblee and possibly to Decatur? I don't have a job yet, but I'm hoping to get on with DFCS.

Tucker to Decatur commute...very easy. 15 minutes.

To Chamblee...probably 15 or 20, depending on where in Chamblee.

Elementary schools: Livsey is an excellent elementary school. Brockett and Midvale are very good elementary schools. Idlewood is the lowest rated elementary school in Tucker, so try to stay in the Brockett, Livsey or Midvale parts of Tucker.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM

67 posts, read 236,005 times
You should also know that there are big plans to redevelop the downtown Tucker area with new condos, single family homes, townhomes, retail and restaurants. Visit Tucker LCI Study for more information and to see the site plans. I grew up in Tucker, went to Midvale Elem. and Tucker High and I loved it. Every year they have a "Tucker Day" festival on Main Street, which really gives it a small town feel. It's a very close knit community, I went to school with people who were third generation graduates from Tucker HS. I think that it is a great location, with such easy access to the major highways and to the intown neighborhoods. I think Tucker will soon become the new hot spot since prices of homes intown are going up and are becoming less affordable. If I were you, I would try to get a house close to downtown Tucker so that you can walk to the planned restaurants and retail, just like many intown communities...but that's just my opinion!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 AM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiles View Post
My wife and I are a young couple looking to buy our first house. We are currently looking in Clarkston & Tucker. We want a safe neighborhood being that I travel quite a bit for business. I would love to here what people think about the area. The Tucker homes we are looking to buy are in the area of Idlewood, off of Ponce near Clarkston. The Clarkston homes are off of Ponce, on the border of Stone Mountain and Clarkston. I currently live in Decatur, 30033 and am looking for info on these areas from people familiar with them.
----------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you've already moved, but I was a police officer in the Tucker, Clarkston and Stone Mountain area for 5 years. I know every inch of the place. DO NOT move into Clarkston unless you want to be plauged daily with Burglary, Shootings in strip malls, and Armed Robbery. Let's not forget home invasions...though probably less likely unless you're into selling drugs. Tucker is a GOOD area with the exception of the Pleasantdale Rd area where the apartment complexes are. I would advise staying OUT of that small area. Tucker can be a bit pricey though 250-400s. Tucker is a good community and seems to keep the crap out somehow. The boundary between "good and bad" would be Brockett Rd. You're taking a chance the further South on Brockett Rd you go. I'd say a good rule of thumb is this...If it's South of Lawrenceville Hwy then No Go, If it's North or Lawrenceville Hwy then Go.

Good Luck!
However, the area south of Lawrenceville Hwy around Brockett Elementary is very nice.

I think the Brockett Elementary area is one of Metro Atlanta's best kept secrets.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Aries, do you happen to know the name of the subdivision around the school? I did a real estate search with the school as a parameter and got several subdivisions, so I'm not sure which one would be closest. All the homes looked really nice and well-kept. The prices were fab too.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,209,663 times
I think one of the subdivisions next to the school is called Brockett Creek. I can never remember the names of the others. Brockett Estates, maybe?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Aries, do you happen to know the name of the subdivision around the school? I did a real estate search with the school as a parameter and got several subdivisions, so I'm not sure which one would be closest. All the homes looked really nice and well-kept. The prices were fab too.
There are several nice subdivisions around Brockett Elementary. It is not just one "subdivision" I'm talking about, but the whole, big neighborhood around the school (all along Brockett Road).

It is a great area. I suggest going there and looking around.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM

My husband starts his job on Monday, so he'll be scouting the area while I stay behind to get our house ready to sell. I got a packet from our realtor over there and it has a lot of information about the schools. I'm really glad I've got information from this board though, because though I'm concerned about the test scores, I really just want him to have a good school. Scores aren't everything. He has a passion for learning and I want that to continue. Being 'taught to the test' has a way of killing that, IMO. Anyway, thanks bunches. We've been able to give our realtor some precise information that we wouldn't have had without your help.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
My husband starts his job on Monday, so he'll be scouting the area while I stay behind to get our house ready to sell. I got a packet from our realtor over there and it has a lot of information about the schools. I'm really glad I've got information from this board though, because though I'm concerned about the test scores, I really just want him to have a good school. Scores aren't everything. He has a passion for learning and I want that to continue. Being 'taught to the test' has a way of killing that, IMO. Anyway, thanks bunches. We've been able to give our realtor some precise information that we wouldn't have had without your help.
You'll be happy with the Tucker schools. Good Luck. Let me know if you want more specific recommendations.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM

288 posts, read 954,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Those areas are not in Tucker. Tucker Norcorss Road does not turn into those roads, it intersects them.

Tucker is a very safe place to live. The areas around the aging apartment complexes (a couple of complexes on Idlewood and a couple complexes on Lawrenceville Hwy) are the bad areas.

Tucker is not a good place to rent an apartment, but it is a very good place to own a home. I lived in Tucker for 20 years, moved away for several years, and happily came back four years ago after seeing how bad City of Atlanta can be. I'm staying.
Hey JPD, just curious, ur comment on moving back from city of Atlanta caught my attention. What did you not like about it? Im wondering cause Ive been considering moving into midtown area. Always like to get others opinions who have lived down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta