Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL, JPD--you need to make a trip soon. Just get on Tucker-Norcross Rd and head west, Pioneer that you are.

:
Why would I make a trip to Norcross? Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's a nice place, but I see no reason for me to visit. The only reason I used to go to Norcross was to go to Chapter 3 records, which closed over a decade ago.

I have no idea what makes you think I'm a pioneer. Is that an insult, or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

I'm still thinking about a trip to Tucker to try the New Orleans/Creole restaurant--it's about that time--Mardi Gras.

You're probably referring to Rotagilla. They have good food, but they don't serve alcohol, so it might not be a very good Mardi Gras spot.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lholan View Post
Thank you all for the info. Do you know if Branch Drive in Tucker is on the Gwinnett side or Dekalb side? I also think the school that is in that district is Henderson which is in Chamblee, so very confusing. Also lastly, is Norcross pretty close to downtown Atlanta and is it city like or rural? Thanks.
I believe that it is just inside DeKalb (Henderson is the middle school in that cluster). I would describe that area as 'marginal', largely due to the number of sketchy apartment complexes along Norcross-Tucker Rd as well as its' proximity to Jimmy Carter Blvd (not a good thing).
Nothing about Norcross is rural. I would describe it as a melange of traffic-burdened roads and strip centers, apartment complexes and subdivisions that have seen better days.
TakeAHike is correct to exempt the Peachtree Corners area of Norcross...that is actually quite nice.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know where Branch Drive is, but if you'd be in the Henderson district, you're definitely in Dekalb. I wouldn't consider Henderson to be in Chamblee. I'd probably call that area Northlake.
Not really Northlake...it's off Norcross-Tucker Rd near the Gwinnett line and has a Tucker zip (30084).

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 AM

44 posts, read 172,866 times
I haven't been here in a while, but just got an email saying that there were some new posts in this thread, so I logged in.

I must say, my wife and I (and our 4 months old baby) are very happy here in Tucker. We bought our house in Classic Village in July of 2007 and have lived here ever since. Every time I have to go run some errands, I am amazed at how great this location is. Everything is so close and convenient to get to. Grocery stores, restaurants, dentists, you name it. Seems to us that the only thing missing is a nice bookstore, but even that isn't that far away from here, either.

I can't really speak for schools in our area (although I've heard that Brockett Elementary is pretty good), but other members have commented on that already. As for crime, well, like everywhere else, we do hear about some problems in the area from time to time (we have a pretty active Neighborhood Watch organization going on with email updates and such), but that's unavoidable wherever humans live, eh? For example, just the other night, somebody lost all four wheels off of their Honda Civic in the Drayton Woods subdivision (which is very close to ours). Apparently, the cops say it's a pretty common theft nowadays. I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere else, but our Neighborhood Watch coordinator sent us this link recently: Crime Mapping - Map . It's pretty educational, indeed. I was quite surprised to see that the area we used to live in (Briarcliff and Lavista) is so crime-ridden. But then again, we did have a huge string of break-ins in our apartment complex at some point, and that was one of the reasons we wanted to move from there, so maybe it's not that surprising after all...

Anyways, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions about this area.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Why would I make a trip to Norcross? Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's a nice place, but I see no reason for me to visit. The only reason I used to go to Norcross was to go to Chapter 3 records, which closed over a decade ago.

I have no idea what makes you think I'm a pioneer. Is that an insult, or something?
I don't think that is the case...I think she's referring to the vast changes that have occurred in that corridor (and not for the better).
TakeAHike is not prone to insulting other posters...she's much sweeter than I am.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not really Northlake...it's off Norcross-Tucker Rd near the Gwinnett line and has a Tucker zip (30084).
I was referring to Henderson Middle School. It's in the Northlake area.

I just Google mapped Branch Drive. I wouldn't buy a house in that area.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 40,592 times
Tucker Rd. is right off of S. Norcross Tucker Rd and near dogwood lane. Thanks

Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM

Im sorry i meant Branch Drive is off of S. Norcross Tucker Rd.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:31 AM

Sorry to be a pain. Also does anyone know of any good pediatricians in the Norcross area? And are there hospitals close by Peachtree Corners Circle? I have a 6 month old as well and she was a very sick preemie so i really want to know that there are some recommended pediatricians in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta