Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 58,976 times

Advertisements

Have been looking through many apartment/condo rental sites. Calibre woods is looking interesting to us. We are moving from a city of 150,000 to Atlanta and are looking forward to city life, but a bit of "retreat space" sounds like a nice blend. Any insights into that property?

Thanks
Iowegean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times
I've never been in Calibre Woods but it always seemed like a nice community. You're close to a lot of shopping as well as Emory, Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown.

The biggest drawback is going to be the traffic. There are two synagogues/schools to the west on Lavista which cause a lot of delays during daytime traffic. The delays don't only seem to be when classes start or end either, they are kind of constant throughout the day. Houston Mill to Lavista to North Druid Hills is also one of the main escape routes from the Emory complex which includes the university, two hospitals and the CDC so rush hour is a headache. Also the Toco Hills Shopping center is large and can cause a lot of congestion, especially along North Druid Hills. Finally there aren't a lot of east-west routes in Atlanta so a lot of people use Lavista making it a heavily traveled street anyway.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Default calibre

I like public transport and walking. Spent my childhood in Chicago I am not going to work for a while until I get acclimated. Busses or MARTA an option from that area?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2007, 08:02 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
It's a good bus route area. The MARTA stations are several miles further north--a short drive and a quick trip downtown, north, south, east or west.

It is a good area to walk and brave souls ride bikes--headed toward Stone Mt.

There are a number of similar communities in this area--if you want to Google --(terms like: 'Emory, Briarcliff Rd, NE Atlanta, LaVista Rd, Clairmont Rd, Lakeside High School' ).

Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times
Marta bus and rail service is an option for the area. The 30 goes along Lavista from Northlake Mall to the Lindbergh Rail Station. According to the schedule it's about a 15 minute ride from Claibre Woods to Lindbergh. You can also take the 8 down N Druid Hills to the 19 down Clairmont. That would take you into Decatur. That's a longer ride but Decatur is a popular restaurant and bar area. You will also be within walking distance of a decent amount of shopping, there is a Kroger and a Publix in Toco Hills shopping center as well as several smaller shops.

Now while it is possible to get around without a car I would highly recommend against it. If you aren't planning on having a car I would suggest living in Downtown or Midtown. If you are planning on having a car but you just don't want to use it too much then an area like Toco Hills would be fine.

http://www.itsmarta.com/maps/viewer.asp (broken link)

Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Default thank you

that is surely doable. We will have two cars, so that is an option. It's just a preference to get around without them for work, so that we can focus on work and not getting lost or stuck in traffic. at least for a while.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 AM

11 posts, read 61,267 times
Iowegean -- did you end up moving to Calibre Woods? DH and i are in the same situation -- we're relocating from a small town area, and we need to be close to Emory. we're leaning towards Calibre Woods right now. (flying down this week to check it out, as well as other complexes, and the housing market.)
just wondering -- did you choose Calibre Woods? If so, how do you like it? if not, may i ask why?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:14 PM

Location: Winston, Oregon check it out at www.michellesehouseforsale.blogspot.com
18 posts, read 105,118 times
I lived at Calibre Woods for 4 years and was very happy. Maintenance was always very friendly and quick to respond to requests. The office will have your carpet cleaned when you renew your one year lease (but you usually have to ask for it). There are woods nearby to go walking. People are friendly. My only complaint when I lived there is that the security gate was often broken and stuck in the open position, but the neighborhood is pretty safe so it wasn't really a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: