Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,565 times

Advertisements

Well, you guys know my husband found a position and accepted it in the Lawrenceville area...to much of our excitement.
Here's my dilemma.....
We have only been to the area ONCE (in December) for a week). Barely enough time to KNOW the area. I must say though, I have learned A LOT just by being on this board, and all of my research
We are still selling our place here, so we are undecided if we will follow Hubby immediately with him.
His job starts in July.
We have thought about renting for one year (1st) there.
I know some areas sound great to me, but we are not planning another trip up there before he starts the job, so I really need to make a decision.
The reason for renting is simply because I DON'T know the area, though something may SOUND great to me, seeing it and driving around it for days on end may give me a better feel. If I rent I will have months to really look for "the" area we like. If I buy a place there now, what if I end up liking another area better? Then it's too late.
The thing that scares me about renting now is ... what if in a year home prices and interest rates jump??? Ugh! They are SO good right now.

Anyone have input? Feel free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
I can only imagine all the thoughts running through your mind right now.

There are quite a few apartments that will do a 6 month lease - maybe you should consider that option?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Exactly
Did I mention though that I am very excited to be moving there!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,757 times
So if in a year interest rates and real estate prices have both jumped significantly -- but you're able to feel comfortable with your decision about where to live. If you're paying a bit more for your monthly mortgage payment, is that terrible enough that you think you'd be better off buying a house you don't like in a place you find you don't want to live, and having to either turn around and re-sell it and buy another place (with all the costs attendant on doing so) in a couple of years?

I wouldn't let the prospect of potentially higher prices and rates drive me into a decision that I would regret and have to live with (and in) every day. In the Atlanta area particularly, you need to get a sense of what various areas are like and find what's workable for your lifestyle and where you'll be working.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 AM

205 posts, read 692,710 times
I know you said you are not planning another trip here, but if you can schedule it or afford it I think it would be a good investment in your future to come back down here.

My husband's job is relocating us away from Atlanta , but one piece of advice I got from a realtor was to spend a bit of time in the local grocery stores. He said you can get a sense of people living there. I plan on doing a bit of that when I head up to NJ for my first visit in a week.

Good luck in your relocation. I have loved living in GA for the past 16 years, and hopefully you will, too.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,504 times
I would not recommend making a hasty purchase decision in metro Atlanta. Neighborhoods in the same geographic area can vary widely in quality, and what looks convenient on a map can be on a congested two-lane road that is a traffic nightmare (this is especially true in parts of Dacula where you have been looking). Even if you just stay in a furnished apartment for a few weeks during the summer and then make a decision, that would probably lead to a better situation. No one knows about interest rates, but I don't think that there is really going to be a dramatic (if any) increase in prices over the next few months.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
I heartily agree with the posters who've said it's better to get to know the area and avoiding purchasing in haste then repenting in leisure. When we moved to metro Atlanta from Canada, we rented first.

However, I think the OP has school age children. That being the case, I recommend making a good effort to find a rental in a school zone in which you think (as best you can tell, so far) that you'd be happy to settle. It's hard on children to have to change schools twice, so you'd want to avoid that, if possible. On the other hand, if you discover that a different area would be greatly preferable for your family, after all, then renting first will give you the option of making that move.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I heartily agree with the posters who've said it's better to get to know the area and avoiding purchasing in haste then repenting in leisure. When we moved to metro Atlanta from Canada, we rented first.

However, I think the OP has school age children. That being the case, I recommend making a good effort to find a rental in a school zone in which you think (as best you can tell, so far) that you'd be happy to settle. It's hard on children to have to change schools twice, so you'd want to avoid that, if possible. On the other hand, if you discover that a different area would be greatly preferable for your family, after all, then renting first will give you the option of making that move.
Don't worry about schools. I'm a teacher turned home schooling mom
I'm a stay at home mom now who home schools my son.
I home school him through a Distance Learning school, where they send me all of his books and curriculum, and I teach him, return the assignments to them once a month, and they send us progress reports every 2 months.
However, I would like to be in a good school zone just for the purpose of investment/resale down, down the road.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
IIRC, you were comparing Dacula and Suwanee and perhaps a few other locations?

Your DH will work in Lawrenceville.
You will need time to determine the routes to and from work, for shopping and other routines. I think you have to become familiar with an area before you can make such a major decision.

I believe someone said most school systems begin on Aug. 9--this will affect traffic patterns, too.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM

So it looks like, so far, all in favor of renting first
You guys have been so helpful! I can't begin to explain how excited we are to be moving up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta