Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopro View Post
Although I've lived all over the U.S., I've lived in the city of Atlanta for 10 years and in the suburbs for 6. I've attended college, and have worked downtown utilizing mass transit every day for 5 years. I would argue that the city of Atlanta lacks diversity, unless you consider half poor black and half white upper class diverse. There is a cold war between the classes that stymies progress within the core and to the region. Atlanta is trying very hard to be a "black" destination rather than a destination for true diversity. Prepare to deal with racially charged city elections and to be profiled based on your skin color, not your character or qualifications. You're white or you're black, even if you're Asian or Indian. It's a trivial thing to be judged by, but it's the moral code in Atlanta. This applies to the courtroom, in public, at educational institutions and especially on transit. The suburbs to the NE however are more diverse. Gwinnett County has a prominent Asian, Latino, and Eurasian populace as well as white and black of varied income levels. Dekalb County to the east is also a fairly diverse area that attracts an international community. The more educated suburban areas such as Alpharetta, Duluth and East Cobb don't seem to have the black/white 5 mile mindset that I've experienced in the city. Atlanta has room for progress as far as diversity goes when compared to Kansas City, Denver and Cleveland.
I agree there is room for diversity but your gloomy view of how people interact is not shared by me.As far as you say a war between the classes.Well that's every American city.The fact that African Americans enjoy among the highest incomes of any city outside D.C. is the main reason that most would say Atlanta is "trying" to make itself a destination for blacks.It is a just a matter of fact that black people overall have always been able to thrive here more so than almost any other place.Its by reputation more than any concerted effort to attract blacks to the city.Go through the communities of the Cascades or Collier Heights and you can see that these type of places just do not exist for blacks in most cities

Much like Houston is a "Mecca for Hispanics".Thats not a bad thing.It just means a traditionally marginalized group of people are now an acting part of the community that reaps the benefits of being a tax paying citizen.

As I see it often times the South is often a victim of its past.the fact that Atanta history is not quite typical of most Southern cities is disregarded for more popular sensational opinions of the entire South.Not just the city of Atlanta unique history.

Chicago has always dealt with race in its elections.Many times different ethnic neighborghoods clash for power.True in Philadelphia and even NYC.But I suppose Atlanta should have none of that?You definitely have a limited view of the City of Atlanta.Why is that in those communities that you mention in the suburbs are not represented by the races and ethnicities of the people that live in those communities?Is that real diversty or just a photo op?Those areas are also very conservative as a result.

As I recall the white candidate in the last mayoral election got healthy support from black candidates.

It should also be noted that you should look in the "society gatherings and see how many blacks mingle together in those events with their white counterparts.You don't see that in Miami,Boston, and some other cities.

To compare Atlanta as less diverse than Kansas City is ridiculous.Denver also.Cleveland I get.

Transit is what it is.If you ride to the North from 5 points it becomes whiter and whiter.The city has become more diverse in a record time.Less blacks live in the city than it used to be.The white population is moving in at a faster rate than any other city in the U.S.The question should be is Atlanta tolerant?Seeing how many gay and black people that live in move to Atlanta it would seem that it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelovelymsnicole View Post
Oddly enough I have the same dilemma (except I'm 22, single, and have no kids). I've lived in Atlanta and love it (but that was from a college student in the city view). From a parent's view things that may not have been know are Atlanta's has the largest amount of child trafficking in the U.S. (last I heard), there's a lot of problems with staph infections among children (which is highest in Atlanta), and Georgia public schools aren't the best (in the city). On the plus side if you move to some place like Alpharetta which is more of the suburbs of Atlanta I think it's wonderful for children, there's a lot to do not only for children, but also for adults! A lot of cultural activities as well. The crime is about like any where else. And as a young black professional you'll be accepted with open arms! I don't know much about Charlotte though, but it seems about the same (just smaller).

If you're worried about jobs I suggest Arlington especially with a family. Arlington is growing rapidly and have plenty of jobs. If you go to Mansfield it's very family friendly and with the football stadium down the street it's growing fast!

Atlanta is ranked #1 because ATLANTA IS THE ONLY CITY TO KEEP TRACK OF THESE STATS. Im sure if Arlington would have more if they kept track of it like we do. Arlington/Dallas is just as boring as Dallas. Dallas isnt an Atlanta as far as entertainment and things to do. I would not recommend anyone moving there unless you are 70+

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree there is room for diversity but your gloomy view of how people interact is not shared by me.As far as you say a war between the classes.Well that's every American city.The fact that African Americans enjoy among the highest incomes of any city outside D.C. is the main reason that most would say Atlanta is "trying" to make itself a destination for blacks.It is a just a matter of fact that black people overall have always been able to thrive here more so than almost any other place.Its by reputation more than any concerted effort to attract blacks to the city.Go through the communities of the Cascades or Collier Heights and you can see that these type of places just do not exist for blacks in most cities

Much like Houston is a "Mecca for Hispanics".Thats not a bad thing.It just means a traditionally marginalized group of people are now an acting part of the community that reaps the benefits of being a tax paying citizen.

As I see it often times the South is often a victim of its past.the fact that Atanta history is not quite typical of most Southern cities is disregarded for more popular sensational opinions of the entire South.Not just the city of Atlanta unique history.

Chicago has always dealt with race in its elections.Many times different ethnic neighborghoods clash for power.True in Philadelphia and even NYC.But I suppose Atlanta should have none of that?You definitely have a limited view of the City of Atlanta.Why is that in those communities that you mention in the suburbs are not represented by the races and ethnicities of the people that live in those communities?Is that real diversty or just a photo op?Those areas are also very conservative as a result.

As I recall the white candidate in the last mayoral election got healthy support from black candidates.

It should also be noted that you should look in the "society gatherings and see how many blacks mingle together in those events with their white counterparts.You don't see that in Miami,Boston, and some other cities.

To compare Atlanta as less diverse than Kansas City is ridiculous.Denver also.Cleveland I get.

Transit is what it is.If you ride to the North from 5 points it becomes whiter and whiter.The city has become more diverse in a record time.Less blacks live in the city than it used to be.The white population is moving in at a faster rate than any other city in the U.S.The question should be is Atlanta tolerant?Seeing how many gay and black people that live in move to Atlanta it would seem that it is
houston is NOT a mecca for hispanics the same way atlanta is a mecca for blacks. i'm sure it's safe to say that african americans are still the most affluent minority group in greater houston (except for maybe asians?)...now if you had said that houston was a mecca for illegals, that i can agree with lol

los angeles, san diego, san antonio, miami (i.e. places that have a rich, deep history of latino heritage and culture)..these hispanic meccas

this is not to say that hispanics aren't thriving in houston, because they are. but houston doesn't play the same role in the hispanic community that atlanta plays in the black community

Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta is ranked #1 because ATLANTA IS THE ONLY CITY TO KEEP TRACK OF THESE STATS. Im sure if Arlington would have more if they kept track of it like we do. Arlington/Dallas is just as boring as Dallas. Dallas isnt an Atlanta as far as entertainment and things to do. I would not recommend anyone moving there unless you are 70+
that's ridiculous. deep ellum, oak lawn, uptown, lakewood, north oak cliff, etc...these places are just as young and "hip" as anything you'll see in atlanta.

i can agree that dallas isn't quite the entertainment city that atlanta is, but the notion that it's nothing but a city for old people and families is beyond false. stay away from the suburbs next time

Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
houston is NOT a mecca for hispanics the same way atlanta is a mecca for blacks. i'm sure it's safe to say that african americans are still the most affluent minority group in greater houston (except for maybe asians?)...now if you had said that houston was a mecca for illegals, that i can agree with lol

los angeles, san diego, san antonio, miami (i.e. places that have a rich, deep history of latino heritage and culture)..these hispanic meccas

this is not to say that hispanics aren't thriving in houston, because they are. but houston doesn't play the same role in the hispanic community that atlanta plays in the black community
The paths may not exactly be the same but they are very similar if not exactly alike(which of course they are not)The growth rate and the if there was such a place in America,Houston fits that bill more than anywhere else.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The paths may not exactly be the same but they are very similar if not exactly alike(which of course they are not)The growth rate and the if there was such a place in America,Houston fits that bill more than anywhere else.
not when a huge chunk of those individuals are not here legally. once again, i'm not suggesting that hispanics aren't doing well in houston. but like i said, houston is not to hispanics what atlanta is to blacks

things aren't always as they appear on the surface. you have to look at more than just numbers

Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,027 times
This guy Tony Georgia has to work for the Atlanta chanber of commerce. Anytimer someone posts something positive about any other place he is certain to attempt to put that place down in comparison to Atlanta even if the previous post made no mention of the Atlanta area.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:05 PM

64 posts, read 287,974 times
Charlotte only has the one public school system--Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools--and it is HORRIBLE! While Atlanta has the same problems as any urban city, Atlanta would probably be a much better choice than Charlotte.. You should visit both cities--read the newspapers, watch the local news--visit the popular spots--compare costs of living-- for a few days before deciding. I actually moved from Charlotte to Atlanta 5 years ago and the cost of living [except for automobile insurance] is actually much lower than Charlotte.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 PM

338 posts, read 897,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSoulBrotha View Post
Just want some realistic feedback... our family is thinking about relocating from Columbus, OH within the next two years or so. Our top choices are Charlotte and Atlanta, mainly because of the cost of living and lifestyle...
Charlotte and Atlanta are both much nicer than Columbus but not any cheaper. Columbus is cheap.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM

200 posts, read 449,275 times
Hello,

I am from Ohio as well and quite familiar with Columbus, OH. As an African American in my late 20s who now lives in the Atlanta area, I would side with Atlanta. Only because there are way more things to do here. Also there are many activities, conventions, annual festivals etc. that come through Atlanta that are both "black culture" oriented and others.

I also find that networking here in metro Atlanta has been great and I have met great people from all over the world, literally. I would say this is the reason why I passed on Columbus and I would assume the same to be true for Charlotte, although it is a notch above Columbus.

There are many teachers being laid off all over metro Atlanta, even finding substitute work will be rough as they are giving those positions to those in good standing within the schools (recently laid off teachers and para-pros).

What area will you be receiving your MBA in? I ask because Atlanta IMO is still in the recession and companies are still not hiring in earnest. If you can, try a corporate head hunter. And I wouldn't move witout finding work first. So if you are employed in Columbus, you should wait until your prospects are better (landing a job first) before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta