Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
There is a very short list of things that you cannot be fired for. There is a pretty much infinite list of things you can be fired for. If your boss doesn't like your haircut or the color of your socks, you can be fired.
That kind of manager won't be in a management position for very long...you have to trust in karma if you get fired for something like the color of your socks.

I'm sure it happens here and there, but I don't believe it's common. People may say that they got fired for something trivial, but I bet that 90% of the time there is more to the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
I have never had issues and I have worked in right-to-work states forever. Remember you also have the right to leave your position at any time. That said we are seeing unions in the news a lot ..see the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc..

Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzMichelleNYC View Post
Because those people have put their life and years into the job. Hell no they shouldnt be layed off or fired JUST because their employer THINKS someone else is better for the job. Thats why there are unions to fight for your rights and trust me in NY City/State/Federal government jobs seniority rules and speaks for itself.
Everything is just wonderful up in NYC! LOL. Oh and I grew up in NYC their system is going to eventually fail. I cannot wait until to see what happens when all of the new condos lose their tax abatements in a few years.

Their seniority system creates lazy people. It is just like tenured teachers.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagLeo View Post
My husband was recently fired from a job - he did sign the "at-will" agreement when he was hired five years ago. After new management was hired last year they seemed to want to have younger, hip-er, employees at their office. They began to trump up little issues and other workers lied about him and then - unbelievably - were taken seriously by management because of their desire to get rid of him. There was no obvious age discrimination -- because THAT would be illegal -- instead they picked at and lied on a good worker and got him fired for the first time in his life (he's 48). It is mind-boggling to me how easy it was for them to get rid of him. The corporation took the word of his manager and did not listen to his efforts to defend himself at all.
I know that it is illegal to fire for any discrimination but how do workers protect themselves from petty, selfish and just plain BAD bosses?
Why do I not think, but know your husband is not telling the truth? Oh yeah I forgot I have a brain!

Saying he would not get fired at 48 because he has never before is like saying after twenty years of a first marriage nobody would divorce because they have never divorced before.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I'm thinking most of the anti-discrimination laws only apply to companies with over 15 workers. If they are below that they can fire you for anything -- sex, race, age, whatever -- or for nothing at all.

As others have said, though, if a company gets a reputation for treating folks arbitrarily then fewer people will be willing to work there.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
I would like to get some opinions on this "work at will" doctrine. Is it true that they can fire you for any reason?
If this is true, why do people stay here and not fight for job security. I am from the north and I have been offered a job in Atlanta. But how can I feel secure going to work knowing they can fire me for the way I look or the way they feel that day!!!
Don't move. Yes people can get rid of you and destroy your life financially at will for any reason or no reason at all. Laws don't apply.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Don't move. Yes people can get rid of you and destroy your life financially at will for any reason or no reason at all. Laws don't apply.
Actually, moving would be the only real solution... specifically overseas, since at-will employment is an American thing and has nothing to do with Georgia.

It's called a "free country" for a reason.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
A bit dramatic.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
That IS the law. So, yes, laws do apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: