Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 PM

46 posts, read 221,129 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some opinions on this "work at will" doctrine. Is it true that they can fire you for any reason?
If this is true, why do people stay here and not fight for job security. I am from the north and I have been offered a job in Atlanta. But how can I feel secure going to work knowing they can fire me for the way I look or the way they feel that day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Ugh!!

Its not like that at all. They're just not going to jump through hoops like they would have to with a $@%@$^ union to fire you if you're not doing your job or if the business itself is downsizing. They're not going to coddle you. Do your job, and if there's a problem with your boss thats what HR is for.

If you're that scared, dont take the job. So simple..

Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
I would like to get some opinions on this "work at will" doctrine. Is it true that they can fire you for any reason?
If this is true, why do people stay here and not fight for job security. I am from the north and I have been offered a job in Atlanta. But how can I feel secure going to work knowing they can fire me for the way I look or the way they feel that day!!!
If you are referring to a "right to work" state, which Georgia is, then it merely means that you cannot be forced to join a union as a condition of employment.

Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every state uses the doctrine of "employment at will" and unless you have an employment agreement with your employer (aka...a contract) then you may be fired at will, and you may also quit to take a better job, also at will. Funny how employees don't complain that in good times they are able to leave and take a higher paying or better job. It's a two way street. No one will "fire you for the way you look" and that's just nonsense.

Now, having said that, there are laws against discrimination and other wrongful termination, but in general, you may be fired or laid off at will in just about every state. Whether or not you can claim for unemployment benefits is another story and varies by state. In Georgia, if you are fired for cause, such as breaking company rules or the law, you are disqualified.

You really need to take a minute and do some research, because you are operating under some false assumptions.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 PM

28 posts, read 84,679 times
I've had to deal with the work at will employers since I've moved out west. Basically, it stinks and I personally think we need to have unions to protect the employees rights because the employer has all the power when it's work at will. You can be fired at will by the employers and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Keep in mind that if a company keep firing its people for no reason, word will get out soon no one will want to work there, the smartest and best ones will leave to go else where, the company will go under.

Last edited by flyonpa; 05-23-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallie Gal View Post
I've had to deal with the work at will employers since I've moved out west. Basically, it stinks and I personally think we need to have unions to protect the employees rights because the employer has all the power when it's work at will. You can be fired at will by the employers and there isn't anything you can do about it.
Again....this has NOTHING to do with the state or the region of the country. I lived in Massachusetts, one of the bluest states with unions galore, and I was still a "work at will" employee because I was not working under a work agreement (contract). That meant I could be let go, and I could leave, at any time.

Folks, there is nothing new or strange about this. It's the law in all 50 states. Now, we could debate unions and the pros and cons of organized labor, but that is also a different topic and is applicable to all 50 states as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
The correct phrase is "employment at will"... But whatever, I guess...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
There are many negatives to a scenario where employers are not allowed to fire someone as well. Take a look at some of europe and what they have gone through, look at teachers here who shouldn't be educating your kids but canot be fired. Anyone that has worked for state governments has seen more of that attitude and its not a place that high achievers and motivated people generally want to be.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 AM

126 posts, read 317,930 times
Im not really sure I see the benefit of unions anymore. This country, and the laws surrounding labor, have changed dramatically since the inceptions of unions in this country. If I'm correct, the heart of a union is to protect workers and create better working conditions. Im not sure that we need a separate organization to do that. And I have 2 big gripes about unions:

1. Unions have created an environment that fosters laziness and protects crappy employees from getting fired (like they should)
2. I don't exactly see people NOT part of unions having any issues. (Maybe this is just me, though)

#1 particularly irks me. I've seen too many crappy employees that don't give a crap about their work, the company, or the product they are creating that get to keep their job because of unions. Maybe its just the way I was brought up, but if you suck at your job, you should be fired. Why should a company have to employ someone who is detrimental to their product, the environment, or other employees?

With all of the agencies this country has setup to create acceptable working environments and protect employee rights, I just haven't heard a good argument for why unions are necessary and who (other than a bad employee) truly benefits from them. I get the whole negotiation of work contracts, but if there were no unions, would there really be a need for a work contract? (serious question...I dont know) Maybe I just don't get it because I work in corporate america, but for the most part, the best people get the best jobs, and you have to be good at your job to keep your job. Maybe I just like capitalism too much and unions smell funny to me?

I'm looking for some other opinions here. I really would like to get a good argument for why unions are needed or why they are a good thing overall.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 89,164 times
Don't be under the illusion that any job is secure. Even if you are in a union, they could simply close your location. No one OWES you a job!! You work for yourself....whether you know it or not. The sooner you start thinking of yourself as an independent contractor, the better.

I say that to say this....when it comes to employment, I think you always have to be working on your personal brand. Better yourself, learn something everyday, and BY ALL MEANS don't be owned by a union or a corporation. I love my current employer, but married to them I am not. I have seen to many people give 25 years of their lifes to a company to be sacked later. The true tragedy isn't the layoff, but the fact that they never had a plan B. Have a PLAN B!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: