Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM

187 posts, read 403,968 times

Advertisements

My dad always talks about how he passed on a house in Redfield for 79k, brand new, in 1980. Can you imagine the return?

I think the cachet of Redfield is this: one entrance, pool, and homes with 3 bathrooms. While they are your typical Dunwoody houses, that extra bathroom is nice. That drives me crazy about some Dunwoody homes - 5 bedrooms, but only 2.5 baths??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 PM

431 posts, read 942,613 times
LOL nice 4 year thread bump, home prices have DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY in Dunwoody... so glad I waited I can get my dream home for 325k with top notch schools and tons of space ... although if I wait another year I can get it for 310kish

Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Redfield is really nice, you still can't find a house in there for under $500k (unless it needs serious renovations...aka, hasn't been touched since it was built). The market for other areas of the 'wood is kind of hit or miss, depending on foreclosures and how they've impacted other resales....by and large, there are fewer foreclosures it seems than other areas just due to the overall tenure of many of the homeowners...obviously all the foreclosures are fairly recent purchasers. Houses on the powerlines have dropped precipitously (always a hard sell anyways) as well as houses in the Chestnut and Kinglsley ES districts (not saying anything bad about them, but these districts tend to trail Austin and Vanderlyn historically in house prices).

When we bought our house in 2007 our budget was $400k and the ONLY houses you could find below that number were the ones mentioned above....and ours, which is on a busy road and needed some serious TLC. Now you can definitely find several great houses below that figure, but even more crazy is how many are in the $425-475k. We refinanced last summer and the appraiser said the area is still holding it own really really well (comparatively speaking) and we actually got a $11k appreciation from when we purchased, so I was happy. Bottom line is, it is brutal out there for anyone and 2011-2012 will see some amazing deals to be had. The tough thing will be balancing price vs. interest rates, if the latter do rise like predicted.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 932 times
which is a newer or safer suburb, dunwoody vs sandy springs? moving from illinois in june single and a nurse, working late nights. also close to public transportation?

any advice will be great..

thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 PM

110 posts, read 154,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywb View Post
which is a newer or safer suburb, dunwoody vs sandy springs? moving from illinois in june single and a nurse, working late nights. also close to public transportation?

any advice will be great..

thanks in advance.
I don't have exact stats nor ahve I looked lately as to which one is safer but I have friends in both places who work with me and they're all still alive, lol, so i hope things are good. As for transportation, both are served by MARTA and have subways stations along with buses. When you are searching for a place, it should say "within MARTA" or something similar to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta