Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I totally agree.

In addition to the reasons/ideas you listed, Clayton County has a lot things going for it--and can rally around and implement some unique assets:

1. Historic/Old Town Morrow and Historic/Old Town Jonesboro. So nice already, and so much more can happen. Can be catalysts.

2. The Rex/Rex Mill area is so d@mn beautiful. A lot can be done with this historic locale.

3. The Panhandle is also very beautiful. Largely undeveloped--I can imagine Clayton doing something with area a la Chattahoochee Hills/Hill Country, but on a smaller scale (preserving beauty/nature, villages, etc.).

4. The Southlake/Mount Zion area can be made into a dynamic 5-point (and potentially 7-point) star. All connected by transit or shuttle and other pedestrian links...
a. Southlake Mall
b. Clayton State University
c. Global Trade Market
d. National Archives
e. National Museum of Commericial Aviation

In addition, I think two more could be added...
f. a Gone With the Wind Theme Park
g. A Southside "White Water" called Sapphire.

5. With the items listed in #4, plus commuter rail, MARTA, etc--the Southlake/Mount Zion area has the potential to become a dynamic southside office center as well.

6. Forest Park--I see this city benefitting from the gentrification happening in East Point, College Park, and Hapeville. Forest Park is "right there" as well. So close to Atlanta and the Airport...Forest Park could shoot up and join the others--forming a new "Quad-Cities."

7. The Aerotropolis will also benefit Clayton County. The county needs to use its proximity and extend the aerotropolis southward (as the aerotrop expands/succeeds). And then capitalize on the inevitable success.

8. Fort Gillem still has the potential to become the headquarters for AFRICOM. A great location. The county, the City of Atlanta, Metro Atlanta, the State of Georgia, and the American South should all be working together to get AFRICOM headquartered at Fort Gillem (Atlanta!)

YouTube - Andrew Young on Georgia's Prospects for AFRICOM

9. Many people don't realize the geographic advantage that Clayton County has. It is very close to Atlanta--combined with low cost housing for the foreseeable future and new transportation options (Commuter Rail, MARTA, etc.) the county is ripe for redevelopment, investment, and a resurgence (Think southern Cobb County--Mableton/Smyrna).

10. When redevelopment/new development begins, Clayton should really only encourage upper-middle and higher-end housing. The county already has plenty of affordable housing--and the county needs to have a long-term balance.

11. Lastly, I think Clayton should market itself to retirees (as well to people from all age groups). Here's why...
a. Retirees will not be concerned with schools--which right now do not have a good rep (this will change though). So retirees could easily make a move there.
b. The beautiful Lake Spivey area is appealing to many retirees (recreation, natural setting, Southlake convenience).
c. Clayton is affordable--lots of amenities/conveniences at a low cost. Money will go far.
d. Proximity to Atlanta and Airport (travel, visiting relatives in the U.S. and around the world).
e. Proximity to children/grandchildren that live in Metro Atlanta.
f. A retiree precedent is being set on the Southside (Sun City Peachtree in Griffin, Peachtree City and Coweta are popular with retirees).
g. Clayton can easily encourage the development of a few (or even several) large retiree/over 50 or 55 developments (like Sun City, and some of the developments in Ptree City).

That's it.
Thats It?LOL.WOW,Thats a lot!!Those were great ideas.Well thought out and somewhat similar to some I have thought of.
I grew up not far from Rex Mill.My parents home(now 2nd home) is just off Stagecoach RD off Rex RD.When it would rain that water would flow so fast and furious ,it looked like white water rapids!

Last edited by afonega1; 06-03-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
Aries, good stuff (you to Afonega). I do think that Forest Park, Morrow/Lake City, and Riverdale are great areas to fix up. Aries, Forest Park also has the ATL/State Farmer's Market if it means anything (I think so). Bringing better transit (light rail-cough) to connect it with Fulton & Dekalb (Cobb and Gwinnett in the future) could rejuvenate the Clayton County.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM

37 posts, read 112,811 times
Forest Park is a great city desipte what some on here may think..it has a lot of potential. along with the Farmer's Market, proximity to the airport, easy access to the highway,a rail line, army base, and a small town feeling despite the Atlanta skyline being visible from a few parts of the city with the right leader that area could flourish.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thats It?LOL.WOW,Thats a lot!!Those were great ideas.Well thought out and somewhat similar to some I have thought of.
I grew up not far from Rex Mill.My parents home(now 2nd home) is just off Stagecoach RD off Rex RD.When it would rain that water would flow so fast and furious ,it looked like white water rapids!
Great pic!

I bet most people in the metro area don't know about the beauty in the Rex Mill Area--and Clayton County in general.

Scarlett O'Hara knew what she was talking about...

Last edited by aries4118; 06-04-2010 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Aries, good stuff (you to Afonega). I do think that Forest Park, Morrow/Lake City, and Riverdale are great areas to fix up. Aries, Forest Park also has the ATL/State Farmer's Market if it means anything (I think so). Bringing better transit (light rail-cough) to connect it with Fulton & Dekalb (Cobb and Gwinnett in the future) could rejuvenate the Clayton County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj06 View Post
you should run for county office man..love those ideas!

Also, Forest Park is already trying to fix up the area..The FP government is investing money on Main Street behind the rail line in the city.When i stayed up there i believe they said something about a new rail system was coming to the county and many of the shops on Main Street were closed in plan to build a train station.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM

200 posts, read 449,154 times
Clayton County could turn around especially as yuppies get tired of driving to Atlanta from Griffin and Jackson and want to be closer to Atlanta.

In the meantime, I think it will be hard to get retail and other developments in the area due to it being majority black. DeKalb and the Camp Creek area only just started to get development, even though their households are more affluent on the whole than Clayton County. We shall see...

Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM

14 posts, read 30,610 times
Clayton County - you can throw all the money in the world at it....it won't change the following:

1. AWFUL leadership in this county. Look at the County Commissioners, the School Board, and some of the recent elected officials. Many are selfish, self-serving, and possess NO real leadership characteristics.
2. Schools - some of the worst in Georgia.
3. Housing values are unstable and have depreciated greatly. WAY too many "Move in for $1 Down" subdivisions that attract and finance people who have NO business owning homes, so they live there until times get tough and they get foreclosed on.

Now...Clayton County does have it's nice areas to live in....far south Clayton is nice. Lake Jodeco. And a few other isolated areas. But all in all, this area has a TON of challenges facing it and no real leaders have yet emerged to help right the ship. It's going to be a long, bumpy road for this county.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 26,403 times
Default Do Your Own Math On Clayton County, Ga.

Do Your Own Math On Clayton County, Ga. :

Add Up The Totals :

Start off by building a Temple of Justice
+
Build a state of the art prison facility
+
Rezone the county for apartment dwellings
+
Provide section 8 housing for the poverty stricken residents
+
Start Blockbusting the neighborhoods
+
Wait for Atlanta to demolish their government housing projects
+
Throw out the welcome matte for our new residents
+
Sponsor Voter Registration For Our New Residents
+
Watch the rising crime rates
+
Elect incompetent officials
+
Discredit the school system
+
Let corruption go unchecked
+
Bring in the media to advertise the crime and our shady officials
+
Watch the Business Closings go unnoticeable
+
And watch our property values plummet to nothing..

What do you have remaining ?

” CHANGE “

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM

566 posts, read 888,929 times
Thank you. The more positive press the better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta