Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 04:13 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
It has some what of a skyline its complete now but some places dont even have this much. The area looks like a little small city

This pic is old

That actually reminds me of a smaller southpark!! looks pretty good! But we all know that doesnt even remotely come close to uptown Charlotte!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
That actually reminds me of a smaller southpark!! looks pretty good! But we all know that doesnt even remotely come close to uptown Charlotte!

Yeah I know I dont know why they said that..

Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 PM

349 posts, read 781,448 times
Both Atlanta and Charlotte have seen a lot of growth in recent decades as we all know. A lot of the northeastern states have been hemorrhaging people to the south due to high cost of living, high property taxes, etc. I wonder if this trend will continue or will the NE adapt in some way to retain their population.

I know here in NJ/NY the cost of living is through the roof and all the talk is about how the middle class is disappearing. There are folks making 60-70k who cant afford to live here. Charlotte or Atlanta looks VERY attractive to folks like this.

I guess my point is that I feel a lot of the growth in the SE has been due to people fleeing other states. If this trend continues then both Atlanta and Charlotte should continue to grow and will probably be MUCH more important politically and economically to the nation as a whole 30 yrs from now. Eventually replacing parts of the country that USED to be important. I was born and raised in metro Atlanta so I sort of root for the region as a whole.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
How so?

Fortune 500 2010: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

New York NY 42
Houston TX 24
Dallas TX 12
Atlanta GA 10
Minneapolis MN 10
Chicago IL 9

The statement does in fact have a basis in fact because, uh, it's true.

Atlanta is the home to the headquarters of 10 Fortune 500 companies, ranking it as having the fourth largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies. In other words, Atlanta has the fourth largest amount of Fortune 500 companies located in a city. To be fair, we are tied with the Twin Cities.
Yes, and we've gone over this before. There are *19* Fortune 500 companies in the Twin Cities metro area. Nineteen is larger than ten.

The way they define boundaries is absolutely arbitrary.

Fortune 500 2011: States: Minnesota Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

The only on that list of 20 Minnesota companies that isn't in the Twin Cities is Hormel, which is way down in Austin, MN. Everything else is in a suburb. Not even an exurb. A fairly close suburb.

If they mess up one metro area that badly, which other ones are being done incorrectly? That's why I went to the actual F500 site and LOOKED at the cities claimed for the companies, then used my knowledge of the metros in question (and Google Maps) to see if they could conceivably be considered part of the city. You'll notice I tried to do that with Charlotte to get the real info instead of blindly trusting a summary I knew was misleading at best in previous years.

Rebuttal? Or are you used to taking things on blind faith?

If you want to start saying they're talking about mailing addresses or city boundaries, we got into that too before. To start with, the Home Depot SSC where my wife works is OTP in Cobb County, not in Atlanta. I'm sure there are other mistakes which are obvious.

Comparisons and claims are only meaningful if they're accurate.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-23-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Both Atlanta and Charlotte have seen a lot of growth in recent decades as we all know. A lot of the northeastern states have been hemorrhaging people to the south due to high cost of living, high property taxes, etc. I wonder if this trend will continue or will the NE adapt in some way to retain their population.

I know here in NJ/NY the cost of living is through the roof and all the talk is about how the middle class is disappearing. There are folks making 60-70k who cant afford to live here. Charlotte or Atlanta looks VERY attractive to folks like this.

I guess my point is that I feel a lot of the growth in the SE has been due to people fleeing other states. If this trend continues then both Atlanta and Charlotte should continue to grow and will probably be MUCH more important politically and economically to the nation as a whole 30 yrs from now. Eventually replacing parts of the country that USED to be important. I was born and raised in metro Atlanta so I sort of root for the region as a whole.

Im with you on that my man

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times
Quote:

I would not compare Atlantic Station to South Park - That's ridiculous. South Park is 3 or 4 times the size and much nicer.

Ha - proof that I am not an Atlanta cheerleader and a Charlotte basher.

Just posting truths

Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I would not compare Atlantic Station to South Park - That's ridiculous. South Park is 3 or 4 times the size and much nicer.

Just posting truths

Dully noted!!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Dully noted!!
I know that's just a typo but it's a good one.

I can think of a number of occasions where it would be prefect.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know that's just a typo but it's a good one.

I can think of a number of occasions where it would be prefect.

LOL!! I am not the best tper in the world.....

Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post

Just posting truths
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta