Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM

185 posts, read 317,507 times

Advertisements

I agree with robert. And Atlantic Station is like Birkdale? Are you serious? The parking structure of AS alone far surpasses BV. And God knows only the rich of the rich can afford to buy in Atlantic Station while the apartments at Birkdale Village depending on what floor plan you get are obtainable and need some upgrading.

As an Atlanta native (hence the peach in my screen name) and some who has lived in Charlotte for the past almost 5 years to answer the question which is better? Depends on the person.

I personally have no desire to live in Atlanta ever again. Don't get me wrong I love my hometown and while there is plenty to do, it is just too over populated and congested for me. I mean my god we have traffic lights on the ramp to the interstate lol.

As for the Queen City as they like to call it. Its an ok city and you will often here it referred to as a small Atlanta.....mmm yeah i guess. The skyline is seriously lacking here sorry to say. Blink and you can miss uptown where as in Atl there is no mistaking your downtown.
Charlotte is lot more suburban. Many of my friends who have come down from up north actually like it here (charlotte) which I find surprising but that a whole new topic lol.

There are pro's and con's to each city. It really just boils down to the individual and what they want out of the area they reside. Overall I don't think either is a bad choice.

However I am happily moving out of Charlotte in a few months for Tampa. On to the next!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,294,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Have you honestly checked out any of the older neighborhoods in Charlotte or the more historic suburbs that I mentioned? It doesn't sound like it.
I did. Myers Park. The Sharon and Fairview area. I didn't like the feel and layout of the Metro area. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't like the vegetation...too many deciduous trees and not enough evergreens, for one thing. I went with expectations that were too high, perhaps. I also did not like Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. I thought that the disconnected feel of that metro area was weird, though I spent most of my visit in CLT. I also forgot the Bible Belt and NASCAR factor...neither are my bag. Went to the Catholic church smack in the middle of CLT's core and it seemed to have a very with-it crowd. I saw a lot of nice new condos either already built or going up around downtown (I guess you guys call it "Uptown").

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-29-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
However I am happily moving out of Charlotte in a few months for Tampa. On to the next!
I hear you. Not as familiar with Tampa Bay as I am with South Florida, but the Gulf is beautiful.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 PM

37,829 posts, read 41,662,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
I agree with robert. And Atlantic Station is like Birkdale? Are you serious? The parking structure of AS alone far surpasses BV. And God knows only the rich of the rich can afford to buy in Atlantic Station while the apartments at Birkdale Village depending on what floor plan you get are obtainable and need some upgrading.
Alrighty for an underground parking lot "far surpassing" parking at Birkdale. Anyway, the point was that they are both the most prominent master-planned new urbanist developments in their metro. And I didn't say they were "similar," but that Atlantic Station is like Birkdale on steroids in a more urban location.

Quote:
As for the Queen City as they like to call it. Its an ok city and you will often here it referred to as a small Atlanta.....mmm yeah i guess. The skyline is seriously lacking here sorry to say. Blink and you can miss uptown where as in Atl there is no mistaking your downtown.
The skyline is "seriously lacking"? I've not heard a lot of complaints about Charlotte's skyline before, but of the ones I've heard, this certainly wasn't one of them, LOL. Be realistic: of metropolitan areas Charlotte's size, Charlotte ranks very near the top for its skyline. Expecting it to have a skyline the size of Atlanta's is asinine and so is judging it on that basis. Someone must have cataracts to blink and miss this:

Quote:
Hope you're happy in Tampa, but by your standards, it practically has no skyline whatsoever, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I did. Myers Park. The Sharon and Fairview area. I didn't like the feel and layout of the Metro area. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't like the vegetation...too many deciduous trees and not enough evergreens, for one thing. I went with expectations that were too high, perhaps. I also did not like Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. I thought that the disconnected feel of that metro area was weird, though I spent most of my visit in CLT. I also forgot the Bible Belt and NASCAR factor...neither are my bag. Went to the Catholic church smack in the middle of CLT's core and it seemed to have a very with-it crowd. I saw a lot of nice new condos either already built or going up around downtown (I guess you guys call it "Uptown").
So you basically only visited the South Park area and Myers Park neighborhood and none of the original streetcar suburbs/inner-ring neighborhoods that are much more representative of the city like Dilworth, Elizabeth, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Wesley Heights, Wilmore, etc. or the Uptown neighborhood of Fourth Ward. I think that's why your perceptions are largely deficient. It would be like going to Atlanta and only visiting Buckhead. The vegetation in Charlotte and Atlanta are both very similar since both are located in the Piedmont, so I'm not sure I get that one (unless that would be a complaint you have about Atlanta also). The NASCAR influence is concentrated to the north of the city in Concord and Mooresville; very little is in the city itself. And yeah it's the Bible Belt as is Atlanta where churches are everywhere, but it's hardly like you're going to get crucified if you don't go to church.

It seems as though you only had a brief weekend visit in Charlotte, maybe doing more driving than anything, and are basing your perceptions off that.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 02-29-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hope you're happy in Tampa,

NoDa
I'm sorry, many of us who travel usually form reactions to cities we visit within a short time. For example, I was "eh ok" with Toronto and "wowed" by Montreal based on ONE visit. Three additional visits to Toronto and seven additional visits to Montreal did little to change my opinion one way or the other. Still "eh ok" and "wowed" by YYZ and YUL, respectively.

as for Tampa: that was to the other poster. Any FL metro is great if you value beach access.

as for NoDa, as in North Davidson: yes, I saw that too. It was dumpy and full of hipsters.

Also went to a really popular diner one night based on recommendations. It was north of the center city and packed with people at about 10 or 11 pm. I remember driving south from it, on the major road it was on, and then turning on Sugar Creek to get back to the freeway. Some damn good cheesecake served there, but nothing in the general area inspired me. I'm not putting it down and there's no need to get defensive.

That's how I formed my opinion on ATL before relocating there, when I lived there. Three intensive days of driving around and the gut feeling that I liked the place.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachman View Post
I hope all these Atlanta haters keep people from moving here so much so I can get a raise and lower my rent when it's time to resign.
LOL. I begrudgingly moved away from Atlanta to return to the metro area where my family lived. I actually tried to move back to ATL, but it didn't work out. I speak very highly of ATL in the West, yet most people on the Left Coast don't want to live anywhere else. Ok, I'll stop saying good things about Atlanta.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:21 AM

37,829 posts, read 41,662,391 times
Quote:
as for NoDa, as in North Davidson: yes, I saw that too. It was dumpy and full of hipsters.

Also went to a really popular diner one night based on recommendations. It was north of the center city and packed with people at about 10 or 11 pm. I remember driving south from it, on the major road it was on, and then turning on Sugar Creek to get back to the freeway. Some damn good cheesecake served there, but nothing in the general area inspired me. I'm not putting it down and there's no need to get defensive.

That's how I formed my opinion on ATL before relocating there, when I lived there. Three intensive days of driving around and the gut feeling that I liked the place.
How long ago was this? My only contention is that you really didn't spend enough time in the city to truly get a feel for it, but your impressions are your impressions. Maybe I'm just different, but mine are definitely not fixed based on the initial visit, especially if it was rather quick.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,250,443 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, many of us who travel usually form reactions to cities we visit within a short time. For example, I was "eh ok" with Toronto and "wowed" by Montreal based on ONE visit. Three additional visits to Toronto and seven additional visits to Montreal did little to change my opinion one way or the other. Still "eh ok" and "wowed" by YYZ and YUL, respectively.

as for Tampa: that was to the other poster. Any FL metro is great if you value beach access.

Montreal has quite a bit more history and architecture (French influence) than Toronto, sort of like comparing Philly to Houston or Atlanta. Neither Houston or Atlanta will ever have the history, charm or architecture to compete with Philly. Though I'd rather live in Atlanta or Houston than Philly. But if planning a visit or tour, neither on the level of Philly.

Atlanta has some charm and history, it's a great city...Charlotte is much smaller, destroyed a ton of history but still a nice place to live.

I tend to to keep things even keel instead of relying on the "wow" factor of anyplace. Nothing "wows" me more than Manhattan, but after a year or so anywhere, the "wow" factor is gone, it's about day-to-day living.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Montreal has quite a bit more history and architecture (French influence) than Toronto, sort of like comparing Philly to Houston or Atlanta. Neither Houston or Atlanta will ever have the history, charm or architecture to compete with Philly. Though I'd rather live in Atlanta or Houston than Philly. But if planning a visit or tour, neither on the level of Philly.
I was talking about the "gut feeling" test drive when there is a job involved. In the ATL case, I was going in for an interview. In the CLT case, I was sizing up the area because NC was being touted as an "alternative" now that ATL has gotten so big.

The only thing about Toronto/Montreal I was saying is, how driving around and walking around, I would pick Montreal if I had to live in one of those 2 cities, because of the "gut feeling."

Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM

47 posts, read 138,776 times
As I've visited both cities, I liked Atlanta more. Maybe because I like a bit of the hustle and bustle of a city (born and raised in New Jersey near NYC...) I found plenty to do in both cities but due to Atlanta's larger size there was more to do and more people about. Charlotte's charm is there but on a smaller scale, thought it was a tad quiet for me, nonetheless it is a nice city with enormous potential. Atlanta's potential is also great if the redneck politicians would move out of their mentality that the city needs more transit infrastructure not more car lanes! Thank god for the BeltLine, Streetcar (yes its minuscule but it is a start!), semi BRT initiated by MARTA and the vast revitalization of neighborhoods like Virginia-Highland & West Midtown. I'm rooting for both cities' growth but my vote goes for Atlanta. I've always felt a connection to the city on my visits and its charm has captivated me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta