Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I Google Mapped the ones on the list that weren't in another metro. And we were talking about Charlotte companies, not NC.
Right. The ones I listed were the Charlotte area F500 companies located in NC. One is located in SC.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
On the contrary, you never see articles like this about Atlanta in the Charlotte Observer because we generally recognize that Atlanta is in a higher tier than us. The nervousness seems to be on the part of Atlanta, not us. We're pretty much at the top of our tier of cities and have great potential to enter the next tier within a two or three decades but Atlanta has to worry about remaining competitive within its own tier among the likes of Houston and Dallas.
I sorry LOL some of the Charlotte posters are so happy that something from Atlanta mention charlotte. Instead of them taking it as their city is progressing, or good ideas can come from any size. They boast and say Atlanta is nervousness, worrying of insecurity concerning competing against charlotte, LOL be real Atlanta is more than double the size of charlotte area in pop. Atlanta GDP ranks 10th 264,700,000,000, Charlotte GDP ranks 25th $110,427,000,000, It’s equivalent to a adult watching a baby learn to speak. Yes Atlanta leaders are watching Nashville, and Jacksonville too. ) And do you think Houston and Dallas don't pay attention to San Antonio, Austin, and OKC the same way?

It’s not like DFW and Houston are on a roll and Atlanta leaders are starting off into space. Atlanta is projected to grow 2 to 3 million more people by 2 or 3 decades, If you want to learn about the Atlanta area goals, and being competitive maybe you need to check out this site, it's way too much to talk about. Welcome to the Atlanta Regional Commission

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drqhome View Post
I see that Charlotte has 6 in the city and 9 in metro. I do not see the 1oth in Charlotte area. In 2008, charlotte had 7 in the city and 10 in metro. Wachovia was taken over by wells Fargo in the collapse. That reduced Charllotte's number by one. I do not see Ruddick in the Fortune 500. Maybe at one time it was a Fortune 500 but apparently it is not now. That reduces Charlotte's numbers to 6 and 9.
Ruddick is clearly on the 2011 list, and this is its first appearance on the list (as you can see, it barely squeaked by ranking #498 overall). This is why Charlotte's number is unchanged; Ruddick essentially took the place of Wachovia.

Fortune 500 2011: States: North Carolina Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

The 10th F500 company for the Charlotte metro is in Fort Mill, SC, so it does not appear on the NC list.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yes Atlanta leaders are watching Nashville, and Jacksonville too. )
Why are Atlanta leaders watching Jacksonville?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,582 times
Charlotte didn't give me the same "city feel" as Atlanta. They both are nice cities but I think Charlotte may have less crime, possibly

Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Right. The ones I listed were the Charlotte area F500 companies located in NC. One is located in SC.
I missed the one in SC, but I'm not that familiar with Charlotte so I didn't look in SC.

My main reason for caring about this thread is the statement made that Atlanta is somehow #4 in F500 companies. That statement has no basis at all in fact.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 AM

93 posts, read 363,440 times
I think they are both ghetto. I only spent a day in charlotte and thought it was super drab, i spent several days in atlanta , during all star weekend and I was grossed out by all the rapper wannabe's! NOT my thing, but to each their own! I have been told not ALL of Atlanta has the rapper wannabe vibe, so maybe it was just the time I was there. All that being said, I would pick Atlanta, because it seems like there would be more opportunity there!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
I think they are both ghetto. I only spent a day in charlotte and thought it was super drab, i spent several days in atlanta , during all star weekend and I was grossed out by all the rapper wannabe's! NOT my thing, but to each their own! I have been told not ALL of Atlanta has the rapper wannabe vibe, so maybe it was just the time I was there. All that being said, I would pick Atlanta, because it seems like there would be more opportunity there!
Very enlightened opinion; thanks for sharing.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Atlanta is a more well established major city whereas Charlotte only recently became a large city. Atlanta is more of a world class city with a metro population twice that of Charlotte's metro. Charlotte is a cleaner city with less crime and has a more promising future than Atlanta.

There are pros and cons with both cities but clearly Charlotte is trying to become another Atlanta. The Queen city will get there. Charlotte is rapidly growing and by the next U.S. census, Charlotte is expected to have about a million people within its city limits placing Charlotte within the top 10 largest U.S. cities.

With all the talk about these two cities battling to become the king of the south, people seem to leave Miami out of the equation. Miami has the best and largest skyline in the South.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
With all the talk about these two cities battling to become the king of the south, people seem to leave Miami out of the equation. Miami has the best and largest skyline in the South.
That's because Miami is in a different realm. For the most part, it's not considered part of the traditional South and is often referred to as the Capital of Latin America. Miami is essentially a Caribbean city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta