Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Wow , Newark is safer then Atlanta......not surprising , since we have the large wireless Camera Network in the US. I think Atlanta can learn something form Newark , Chicago is learning things form Newark. Community Programs , and workshops are the first steps in reducing crime. Addressing the Homeless and giving inmates out of prisons, jobs and housing so they don't fall back into crime is another step. Focusing more on Education and Reminding the Residents to get tested for STD's. We even have night patrolls that go around the cities bad areas ...... discouraging crime. Volunteers form within and outside the community do it. Investing in Family areas like parks and other inner city places also helps. Improving access to fruits and vegetables in the urban areas can cut down on obesity. In a way that can cut down on crime. Atlanta can learn many things form Newark..... These Next few videos give you some idea what i'm talking about. Don't be afraid to ask Cory Booker or anyone in the city, for examples an crushing your growing crime problem. Your Not the first , many cities around the country and world have.

YouTube - iProtect Technology

YouTube - iVolunteer - Newark Night Patrol

YouTube - Newark Prisoner Re-entry Program

YouTube - We Own The Night

YouTube - Mayor Cory Booker packs Newark Symphony Hall for state of the city address
Im a big fan of Corey Booker.I applaud Newark and its efforts but Newark has a VERY LONG way to go.It still not a desireable place for a majority of people to want to live in.I see a beginning to greatness.However the fact is that Atlanta does NOT have a GROWING crime problem as you stated.That is what so many people are arguing on here about,Its just unfair and unfactual.Thats not blind optimism ,its just a fact.

Every statistic shows that the crime is way down to levels since 1960's.So yes there are some problems.Crime everywhere in America has become more brazenly dangerous and violent.Atlanta is a part of that trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitiblue View Post
That's just not true. A quick look at the numbers will tell you that crime in NYC is far, far lower than crime in Atlanta.

I'm afraid I don't understand your point about the methodology. The fact that crime statistics are calculated per capita is to adjust for the fact that different cities have different population sizes.

If you have 1/16th the number of people but the same amount of crime, then you have a big, big problem.
Actually, crime per mile of area would be a more telling story than per capita. Per capita is just a lay person's way to think of crime statistics and does NOT tell the chance of coming into contact with crime. On a per area density, though, you can find out your chance of a "collision" based on the collision paradox theorem. Chances are, you'll be more likely to come into contact or be a victim of crime in Los Angeles than in Atlanta. For example, who is more infamous for "crossfire shooting": LA or Atlanta. The former. You're also more likely to be a random victim of gang crime in LA or NYC (gangs here are disorganized at best and don't have the presence they do in those cities).

Now, do I think things could be better? Yes. But, do I think it's WWIII or worse than these other cities? Not necessarily. Doesn't mean I don't want to improve on thing, though, like you people seem to imply very naively. It isn't "oh, well, that's what you get for living downtown, and that's the way it should stay." They are stating empirical evidence. You have more crime in a large urban area, and that's always been the case ever since the city emerged. Doesn't mean we aren't willing to try anything to stop crime. The fact that Atlanta has been gentrified and the crime stats have lowered year after year shows that something is being done and people do care.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
Very true. Was I the only one whose eyes glazed over at the endless stream of statistics from different sources? And I work with numbers for a living and have an MBA in Accounting.

As old Ben Disraeli was supposed to have said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." One can quote this stuff all day long and forget that each of these so-called factual reports starts with assumptions and contains qualifiers and limits.

As AG refers to, sometimes it's the anecdotal that counts. When people feel unsafe, there's usually a reason for that. When people run into more and more of their friends and relatives who have, in one form or another, witnessed crime, there's more reliability in those accounts than in some massive lists of numbers.

As the great sage Paul Simon put it:

"When numbers get serious
You see their shape everywhere
Dividing and multiplying
Exchanging with ease
When times are mysterious
Serious numbers are easy to please
"

and

"That is why a man with numbers
Can put your mind at ease
We've got numbers by the trillions
Here and overseas
Hey hey, whoa whoa
"
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree that anecdotal evidence is better than statistics. Anecdotal evidence is tainted by emotion and leads to MORE anecdotal evidence through second hand story telling, fabrication of stories ("I saw people having sex on the street" makes a place sound like Sodom even though it really could have been two people making out and groping each other hard... or "everyone has a gun there," makes it sound like the OK Corral, even if they just saw someone in Starbucks with a pistol under their jacket). By implanting a story in a, lack-of-a-better-term , stupid, illogical, naive, gullible person's head, you have essentially told them what to think despite their own opinions. This secondhand storytelling gets passed on by word of mouth to other naive people and becomes urban myth. Do you know how many people think NYC is overrun with criminals like Gotham in Batman? Even after the great clean up in the 90s? Even when it was "overrun with crime," it wasn't really.

Numbers may have limiters and qualifiers to become counted, but they only have ONE source, and that is the victim. Not to mention, those qualifiers are determined by what people deem as A CRIME. Now, there could be better methods, such as using area and the birthday paradox to determine likelihood of experiencing crime. However, saying anecdotal evidence is better at all than statistics is just insane.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im a big fan of Cory Booker.I applaud Newark and its efforts but Newark has a VERY LONG way to go.It still not a desireable place for a majority of people to want to live in.I see a beginning to greatness.However the fact is that Atlanta does NOT have a GROWING crime problem as you stated.That is what so many people are arguing on here about,Its just unfair and unfactual.Thats not blind optimism ,its just a fact.

Every statistic shows that the crime is way down to levels since 1960's.So yes there are some problems.Crime everywhere in America has become more brazenly dangerous and violent.Atlanta is a part of that trend.
Wow , his fellowing goes all the way down there nice to know that. Then How come Atlanta is lower on the list? I looked at multiple crime statistic sites and there all the same. For a Larger city you'd think it be different. Newark does have a long way to go , i would put it at 40% Urban Renewed. Once the economy rebounds , it will defiantly accelerate.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Some people are just intent on badmouthing one city or another...unfortunately Atlanta has several of these people floating around this site under several assumed names. I hope that anyone who is actually contemplating a move to our city understands that this contrived drama being perpetrated by some misguided members is exactly that - contrived. Atlanta is no more dangerous than any other large U.S. city...anything posted here to the contrary is simply untrue.

There is really no need for this type of nonsense on a site that is meant to responsibly inform. Someone should put a stop to these threads.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitiblue View Post
Because this is the Atlanta forum and Atlanta is where most of us live. It's natural that we'd be more concerned about crime here than crime in other places. "Not the worst" is not a particularly ringing endorsement.
No more than half of the people in this thread aren’t Atlantans or even metro Atlantans, there from Texas, New Hampshire, Minnesota and etc. A few of them may have been here before but most of these out of towers probably never even been to Atlanta, then either or it’s exaggerating. “They're 15 major cities that have a worser crime rate than Atlanta, I wonder why no care about them, and that. but yet Atlanta is spotlighted in such a way one would think it was number one, or at least top 5” there’s a pattern when there’s a positive thread about Atlanta no one from New Jersey seem to pop up ), but mane let there be a thread about Atlanta fall off or the crime rate, it's happy hour.

Earlier someone was comparing the crime rate of Atlanta to Minneapolis, again Atlanta’s crime rate is not as low as Minneapolis but Atlanta is not the worst, Good for Minneapolis for having it’s crime rate so low as it does, but does this make Atlanta the worst or even among the worst? No, ATL is not even in the top 15 as far as the crime rate of cities, 70th as far as metro that’s right 70th, My thought is why Atlanta? that why I said

"I not saying Atlanta crime rate is low but people are exaggerating it to the point that factual Statistics doesn’t matters. Some people psychologically brand Atlanta as a poster child for crime, regardless of the crime rate and the actual Atlanta crime ranking. So what is so special about Atlanta that yall have to pick it out the hat for the crime rate? When is the last time you even seen a thread about how bad the crime is, in these Metros specifically?

Metros
24 San Francisco, CA
32 Charlotte-Gastonia, NC-SC
55 Columbus, OH
62 Winston-Salem, NC
69 Nashville-Davidson, TN"

these cities
6. New Orleans, LA
7. Birmingham, AL
8. Cleveland, OH
16. Washington, DC

My mistake what I mint is I have seen a few of the crime rate threads from the these places above and there isn’t 2nd parties pop up, comparing 2nd and 3rd party cities that are lower in crime to the topic city of the thread. And if they were to do this, they should go to these places first is my point. The OP want to know about Atlanta's crime rate, no it’s not as low as LA and NY, but it is No where close to how bad posters especially out of towers are exaggerating. It’s like they came here to purposely misinform and scare her.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Some people are just intent on badmouthing one city or another...unfortunately Atlanta has several of these people floating around this site under several assumed names. I hope that anyone who is actually contemplating a move to our city understands that this contrived drama being perpetrated by some misguided members is exactly that - contrived. Atlanta is no more dangerous than any other large U.S. city...anything posted here to the contrary is simply untrue.

There is really no need for this type of nonsense on a site that is meant to responsibly inform. Someone should put a stop to these threads.
Every city-data forum has people giving both positive and negative feedback of that particular area. You can't silence peoples' opinions!

I think just one of the many reasons Atlanta gets so much criticism on C-D is because too many of its defenders paint too rosy a picture of what life is like there. It's one thing to boast of a city's merits, it's another to wildly exaggerate what life is like. And then to insist that people not be allowed to speak their minds on the negatives just takes things one step too far.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
You could live in Detroit for a month and return to a seemingly more crime free Atlanta...

Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Every city-data forum has people giving both positive and negative feedback of that particular area. You can't silence peoples' opinions!

I think just one of the many reasons Atlanta gets so much criticism on C-D is because too many of its defenders paint too rosy a picture of what life is like there. It's one thing to boast of a city's merits, it's another to wildly exaggerate what life is like. And then to insist that people not be allowed to speak their minds on the negatives just takes things one step too far.
Its also one thing to state negatives that exist but in perspective not over exaggerated and borderline deceitful.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

It's not that people can't post negatives, it's that people are constantly posting their negative opinions on the Atlanta forum, harping on them, and wildly exaggerating them! It is constant negativity in the Atlanta forum and it's usually the same people over and over just trying to stir up trouble. At the same time, these people don't even bother to research and pay attention to the things this city is trying to improve on. If people would offer constructive criticism and post their negative opinions in a more tactful manner then maybe people in this forum wouldn't feel the need to be so defensive all the time.

Back to crime, I have street smarts and I honestly feel safe in the city, but I'm not oblivious to the problems here. I think crime, panhandling/homelessness and the police force needs to be improved and I know the Mayor has promised to work on these issues, so I'm willing to give him a chance. I know Atlanta needs improvement, but I also know this isn't the most dangerous/horrible city in the country.

Atlanta may not be for everyone and that's fine, but if this place was so terrible 100,000+ people would not have moved into the city and 1,000,000 people would not have moved to the metro area in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta