Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I honestly believe that we as Southerners are a huge reason the perception of the South is tainted at times. We have allowed certain people in our Southern society to be the loudest and most often heard. Instead of speaking up when those uneducated few speak their mind about what it is they believe, we true Southerners sat idly by. I also will not besmirch anyone that raises a confederate flag, if for the right reasons. However, I will not condone or encourage someone to do it to irritate or inflame another. These are the very reasons wrongful ideas permeate our society about the South.
Just to be clear I am not defending Southerners who fly the flag to inflame others. There was another post of here about the Confederate Flag and I felt that this perspective was left out. Like it or not many fly the flag just because other people have a problem with it. Not because they are ardently racist or part of the Klan.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
What most Southerners can agree on is that we dont care how you did things back in (insert town).
I can get this attitude to a point. Does this include people coming down south and saying that segregation is wrong? Some "yankees" got shot in Mississippi for saying that, and others got beaten in Alabama. I know that many southerners today still are pissed off about all that and viewed the changes in the 1960s as "outside influences."

The fact is that...yes...someone who comes to Georgia and tries to make it like where they came from should think twice. For some cultural things, it's wrong to try and change things just to make them like another place. I also think that whole story is waaaaaay overblown. For other cultural things like racism and segregation, the south needed to have someone tell them...."this is wrong and you must change." Some southerners still resent that "interference."

Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM

472 posts, read 854,694 times
Double standards, double standards, double standards...

Did I mention double standard?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Did I mention double standard?
No, in fact you didn't. Can you elaborate?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Here's my two cents, Nazi's and our unique culture are made out to be the worst elements of this society. We are labeled racist, bigots.... to name a few. It is perfectly except able to make cracks to a German about acting like Hitler or ridicule or [sic] accents. Turn on the TV or go to the movies and the look at the caricatures of the Germans. It is NEVER positive! NO other ... country is so demeaned on a regular basis!

edited

Now onto the swastika, I personally don’t care to fly one but would NEVER besmirch someone that chooses to do so. I don’t know what’s in their heart. They could be a rabid racist OR maybe they are into WWII memorabilia and participate in the many re-enactments that are common to this region.

However, MANY of my fellow neo-Nazi's fly that flag for only one reason. They do it because they are sick of being ridiculed and most importantly BECAUSE IT BOTHERS YOU. Many just consider it our little way of giving the rest of you that are so offended by the flag and our culture the middle finger.

Would this be ok then?

Dang it, you beat me to it.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I can get this attitude to a point. Does this include people coming down south and saying that segregation is wrong? Some "yankees" got shot in Mississippi for saying that, and others got beaten in Alabama. I know that many southerners today still are pissed off about all that and viewed the changes in the 1960s as "outside influences."

The fact is that...yes...someone who comes to Georgia and tries to make it like where they came from should think twice. For some cultural things, it's wrong to try and change things just to make them like another place. I also think that whole story is waaaaaay overblown. For other cultural things like racism and segregation, the south needed to have someone tell them...."this is wrong and you must change." Some southerners still resent that "interferance."
I was born in the mid 70's so you would have to ask someone from my fathers generation these questions. With that said, I personally dont have a problem with someone moving here regardless of where they come from but when they start to demean my accent, which has happened, then yes I have a big problem. I find it hard to believe that if I went to New York and starting cracking on how they did things or how they spoke that I would be very welcome. Thats my point. All the rest of what you wrote I totally agree with.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
No, in fact you didn't. Can you elaborate?
Neil, you know very well what I speak of, as a matter of fact, you chimed in on the other thread about this very subject.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I was born in the mid 70's so you would have to ask someone from my fathers generation these questions.
Well then, as someone born and raised in a post-1960s world, I would expect you to understand my points.

Quote:
With that said, I personally dont have a problem with someone moving here regardless of where they come from but when they start to demean my accent, which has happened, then yes I have a big problem. I find it hard to believe that if I went to New York and starting cracking on how they did things or how they spoke that I would be very welcome. Thats my point. All the rest of what you wrote I totally agree with.
I agree with you here. There is no reason for anyone to make fun of anyone or demean your accent. Personally, I have never seen or heard that take place, but I'm sure it's happened.

Funny enough, when I was young, I did have someone make fun of me for my NY accent. You hear people all the time making fun of the "Jersey Shore" types and the "Guidos" so it's not strictly a southern thing.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM

What I see is mainly the northerners have a problem with the flag.

Maybe it's cause the north won the war, and want southerners to be submissive to them? Maybe they are the ones with the superiority complex. How dare they display a confederate flag!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You're missing the point. Why do some southerners feel the need to "flip off" anyone? Given the history of the south, why do some southerners not understand that history and not understand how the symbols of that history can be viewed?

Get it? It's the tone deafness that's the problem. Let's also be honest and agree that some southerners wish that segregation and/or slavery was still enforced. Be honest and admit that some southerners still view blacks as inferior, and that many of them view the Confederacy and the resulting aftermath as good. They lament the fact that change came in the 1960s.

Isn't that the truth if we're going to be honest? The only thing that "yankees" or others do when they point it out is shine a light on it, and that can be painful, right?
That's a mighty dangerous assumption you're making there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta