Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
He's absolutely right. Downtown Atlanta must have been designed by Darth Vader. It's the only way to explain the mammoth slabs of blank concrete walls, overwhelming fortifications, and barren portions of the city where only anti-social roaches dare go. Downtown Atlanta is so utilitarian that even the North Koreans and former Soviet Union would have begged Atlanta city planners to show some humanity.

No wonder AMC's apocalyptic zombie series is filmed and set in Atlanta. They didn't have to change anything. Downtown Atlanta is already dead. In fact, the city looks more alive when it has undead zombies roaming around its normally deserted streets.
When was the last time you were downtown?

The downtown I was walking around five minutes ago was nothing like what you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Finally got to see Mr. Kunstler's photo shoot. A famous critic of urbanism, huh?
If Atlanta and it's environs completely turn that guy off and makes him never want to come here on his own, we're doing the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
No one ever put up a statue in honor of a critic.
Exactly. It's easy to criticize, but hard to effect real change. Kunstler seems only interested in criticism.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
I think part of the problem is that Atlanta has been too focused on efficiency over aesthetics. This spot in downtown, for me, is one of the most uninviting.

atlanta ga - Google Maps

And it's very close to Centennial Park. Atlanta's airport is arguably the most efficient airport but architecturally and aesthetically unpleasing. It's about as bland and purely functional as an airport can get. Same is true about the Georgia World Congress Center and Georgia Dome. Functional but unattractive. I think we're at last getting some more attractive buildings.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM

208 posts, read 419,180 times
Quote:
He's absolutely right. Downtown Atlanta must have been designed by Darth Vader. It's the only way to explain the mammoth slabs of blank concrete walls, overwhelming fortifications, and barren portions of the city where only anti-social roaches dare go. Downtown Atlanta is so utilitarian that even the North Koreans and former Soviet Union would have begged Atlanta city planners to show some humanity.

No wonder AMC's apocalyptic zombie series is filmed and set in Atlanta. They didn't have to change anything. Downtown Atlanta is already dead. In fact, the city looks more alive when it has undead zombies roaming around its normally deserted streets.
Well stated. The so-called "cow-town" of Denver where I now reside after 8 miserable years in Atlanta has a downtown that is clean and vibrant. I have only lived here for 5 months and I've visited downtown more here than I did in 8 years in Atlanta, voluntarily.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 PM

188 posts, read 297,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
When was the last time you were downtown?

The downtown I was walking around five minutes ago was nothing like what you describe.
Take a stroll near I-20 in downtown at night... and try not to get stabbed.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Well stated. The so-called "cow-town" of Denver where I now reside after 8 miserable years in Atlanta has a downtown that is clean and vibrant. I have only lived here for 5 months and I've visited downtown more here than I did in 8 years in Atlanta, voluntarily.
I love Denver but I don't think it's really fair compare it to Atlanta. Denver is half again as dense as we are, plus it is blessed with a street grid that gives it a small block size throughout most of the city. So you're just going to wind up with a different dynamic.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Take a stroll near I-20 in downtown at night... and try not to get stabbed.
Done it many of times and I am still here

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Agreed. The only portions of downtown that actually feel like you're in a big city is Peachtree St. and Marietta St.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Folks, you can express your opinions without bashing, trolling, or attacking. We're inching into that territory now... let's not.

Thank you.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 PM

444 posts, read 703,593 times
Quote:

Damn, that was surgical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta